Mental Support Community

laughing problems away

SweetSue

ok, well, erm.......

Is it helpful to laugh at yourself and the fears and problems you face, no matter how frightening or even if its serious and not really something that should be joked about ?

Im just curious really coz, well thats all I seem to be doing at myself these days, I am not really sure if its possitve, probably more ironic and a tad sarcastic, it helps see me through the day. but is this just a different way that I have come to use, to hide my true feelings from myself and others ?

Or is this me recovering, and getting better ?

• 3 months later...

yeah taking things and bringing them in, in a humorous light is always a good thing, its like my saying i like to say 'whatever helps' /you get by' ....that could be takin several ways but i only see the good in that quote and the good ways...and i think you will only see the good in that because you take things lightly in life and in a humorous way because life is to short to be serious all the time and down ect....lol i hope you understand what im sayin im trying to think but i cant think of the best way to explain it...if you gain something good from it good if not **** it! kno what i mean...im stupid lol.

I like to laugh too :) I find I know when I'm getting better when I get my sense of humour back... which is happening lately I'm happy to say... I think it has to do with feeling lighter, less weighed down by depression, and I get sort of giddy....

Like you JessicaJane, it makes me uncomfortable and I wonder if I'm overdoing it. For me I think it's because I never spend enough time without depression so that I don't even know what it is to feel just normal, balanced most of the time - is that even possible :confused: This last depression has lasted so long that I'm not used to being content anymore, it feels strange to me...so then I get all insecure. That's the way I felt today. I'm OK, no depression, but the negative tapes were desperately trying to come out, and I can't let them because I'm working on my self-esteem this year.... :)

I do find though that if I am in a manic episode I can do way too much laughing, like out of line laughing - too loud, too long, too much.... I know when I do that because people look at me really funny :-)