Mental Support Community

How much food is to much food?

lacyjay87

My daughter is one. She loves to eat. We only let her eat healthy and drink healthy. except for one time we were out on the road and we had to all eat we went to MCDEES....

Here is the thing...Jayden is under weight she is 17.5 and 29inch long

BUT!!!!!!

Jayden will sit in her high chair for 2-3hrs eating then asking for more (we have a way to communicate) then i give her more.

THIS IS WHAT SHE ATE THE OTHER DAY FOR LUNCH:

20grapes

2 string cheese

bottle water

hand full (my hand) of nuts

3 slices of ham

vegi crakers

green beans

carrots

pinaple

For dinner:

milk

water

chicken

green beans

potatos i should mention lol...these were adult servings lol

That one time at mcdees she ate a small frie and a half a dubble cheesburger..and wanted more i woul dnot give her more of that food but she got to have milk and water

so how much food is to much???

Well, I'm hardly an expert on child nutrition, but ...

There's a Zen saying: "Eat when hungry, sleep when tired."

I'd say that if she's underweight and still asking for more food, just keep feeding her. But I might check with a doctor, to see whether there's any reason why she doesn't gain weight despite eating what seems like a fairly large amount. Does that help?

Well, I'm hardly an expert on child nutrition, but ...

There's a Zen saying: "Eat when hungry, sleep when tired."

I'd say that if she's underweight and still asking for more food, just keep feeding her. But I might check with a doctor, to see whether there's any reason why she doesn't gain weight despite eating what seems like a fairly large amount. Does that help?

yea she will be going to the doc the 10th so i should know then for sure...I do jkeep feding her..im so afriad it will make her sick...i love her and just want her to be healthy...thanks a lot for the response

Hey Lacy,

Relax, seriously. All children are different shapes and sizes. As long as you are offering your daughter plenty to eat and drink there is little more you can do, have you seen the health visitor with your daughter recently ? and was she able to give you any advice ?

If you are overly worried phone your doctor or health visitor and see if you can get an earlier appointment than the 10th. But if your daughter seems happy enough and is her usual playful bundle of joy, then i'd try not to worry. :(

Your daughter sitting in the high chair for 2 to 3 hours, is an awfully long time hun. Is she constantly eating through out this time ? Even my youngest Lily~Marie (20 months) got bored in her high chair and as soon as she had finished her food, that was it, she wanted out, like NOW :eek: playtime far more interesting :)

Oh, btw, the burger and fries, yeah I know its junk food, but it wont do her any harm as an occasional meal.

Guest GingerSnap

LacyJay: I started looking seriously at nutrition when we adopted our son and again as we got older, older, older. I would not have her that long in the high chair but would let her eat until she is full of healthy foods. Dinner looks fine. Hope she is having maybe cereal and juice for breakfast - breakfast is very important - I never miss a meal and that really helps one metabolism function properly. Lunch, well, you asked so string cheese is a snack food and 2 of them is two servings - check the fat content and the sodium content on the wrapper, she also had nuts which are a snack food again and although healthy are they salted also and again look at the fat content, ham is fine but again watching the fat and salt content and vegi crackers again salt content and maybe some sort of other grain would leave her healthy and feeling more full. I would try 3 meals, give not more than an hour in the high chair to eat and 2 or 3 snacks in between. It would be better for her to get her calories from grains rather than the fat. Oatmeal, applesauce, rice, basic things are really good, make you feel full and have a lot of nutrition. It took me years to learn all of this and trying to keep the kids healthy greatly benefited my own health. Was glad to see your face back on here, LacyJay. Cathy

Hey Lacy,

Relax, seriously. All children are different shapes and sizes. As long as you are offering your daughter plenty to eat and drink there is little more you can do, have you seen the health visitor with your daughter recently ? and was she able to give you any advice ?

If you are overly worried phone your doctor or health visitor and see if you can get an earlier appointment than the 10th. But if your daughter seems happy enough and is her usual playful bundle of joy, then i'd try not to worry. :(

Your daughter sitting in the high chair for 2 to 3 hours, is an awfully long time hun. Is she constantly eating through out this time ? Even my youngest Lily~Marie (20 months) got bored in her high chair and as soon as she had finished her food, that was it, she wanted out, like NOW :eek: playtime far more interesting :)

Oh, btw, the burger and fries, yeah I know its junk food, but it wont do her any harm as an occasional meal.

She sists and constantly eats the whole time...afte the 2-3 hr she was done and ready togo play....she loves to eat i gues lol...im not overly worried about it just wanted to see what other parents take on the whole thing was thx fro the response

LacyJay: I started looking seriously at nutrition when we adopted our son and again as we got older, older, older. I would not have her that long in the high chair but would let her eat until she is full thast what i mean she ate the whole time for the whole 2-3 hrs...she was stuffing her face lol...i called and asked my mom what to do at the time to lol...of healthy foods. Dinner looks fine. Hope she is having maybe cereal and juice for breakfast i dont give her to much ucie alot of water and a lot of milk, but i feed her ceral or otmeal..no added sugar or anything i mix it with apple sauce or something like that.- breakfast is very important - I never miss a meal and that really helps one metabolism function properlyabsolutly. Lunch, well, you asked so string cheese is a snack food and 2 of them is two servings - check the fat content and the sodium content on the wrapper, she also had nuts which are a snack food again and although healthy are they salted plain nuts almonds..they are one of the healthier nuts...i have this food chart we use to see what we should give her and stuff so i give her whats on the chart..i just cant believe she can sit that long and eat the whole time it baffles me...also and again look at the fat content, ham is fine but again watching the fat and salt content and vegi crackersthey were the baby ones like the gerber things... again salt content and maybe some sort of other grain would leave her healthy and feeling more full. I would try 3 meals, give not more than an hour in the high chair to eatwhat do i do if she is still eating after that hr? and 2 or 3 snacks in between.2 or 3 snaks in between each meal? It would be better for her to get her calories from grains rather than the fat.right Oatmeal, applesauce, rice, basic she eats all thatthings are really good, make you feel full and have a lot of nutrition.i know otmeal keeps me full for ever lol It took me years to learn all of this and trying to keep the kids healthy greatly benefited my own health. Was glad to see your face back on here, thank you so muchLacyJay. Cathy

thx for the response

Guest GingerSnap

LacyJay: You need to discuss this with the doctor. You are a young mom and they expect these questions - we were all young once. With your little girl sitting in the high chair for so long, she doesn't get the exercise that she needs and the stimulation from crawling/walking around, getting into things (just part of the deal) and this could really cause delays - no nice way to say it. Thinking you might end up actually counting her calorie intake to make sure she is getting enough calories in her diet and then if she is still hungry, you would address that issue. She may have just gotten into a pattern of taking a long time to eat, playing with her food, etc. and it is not good for your system to sit and keep eating since the digestion system needs a break. So, talk with the doctor and ask for suggestions. Make a list before you go to the doctor so you can make sure that you remember to get your questions answered as sometimes they try to rush you, when they ask what they can do for you today say "I have a list." Keep us posted, Cathy

Hey Lacy

I totaly agree with Cathy :)

When you feed your daughter at meal times, do you eat at the same time. Just wondering because, Maybe you could pull her highchair up to the dinner table and eat together. Have a nice healthy meal, then when that is finished, both of you come away from the table, and go play. You can offer her snacks at "snack time". So she wont be hungry. Is it a possibility that shes asking for more food through boredom or lack of structure ? Sometimes its just a question of getting your daughter out of one routine and into another. Once your daughter realises that you are at the table to eat, not just to play and pick. things will become a lot easier for both of you.

You know it would be so much easier if babies came with instruction manuals, :)

I still remember panicking over the slightest little thing with my eldest when she was a baby, purely coz in all reality motherhood is a guessing game half the time. And Im sure Im like the worlds most over protective moma ~ ever :D

Take care

Jj

Hey Lacy

I totaly agree with Cathy :)

When you feed your daughter at meal times, do you eat at the same time. Just wondering because, Maybe you could pull her highchair up to the dinner table and eat together. Have a nice healthy meal, then when that is finished, both of you come away from the table, and go play. You can offer her snacks at "snack time". So she wont be hungry. Is it a possibility that shes asking for more food through boredom or lack of structure ? Sometimes its just a question of getting your daughter out of one routine and into another. Once your daughter realises that you are at the table to eat, not just to play and pick. things will become a lot easier for both of you.

You know it would be so much easier if babies came with instruction manuals, :)

I still remember panicking over the slightest little thing with my eldest when she was a baby, purely coz in all reality motherhood is a guessing game half the time. And Im sure Im like the worlds most over protective moma ~ ever :D

Take care

Jj

Manules would be great!! lol

we dont eat breakfest or lunch together but dinner is always at the dinner table and everyone eats at the table...Jayden and i always play...maybe she needs harder games or games that can make her use her mind more...bc i tell ya she is the smartest 1 year old i have met lol man she is smart lol :)

thx so much for your response

and yes this is a huge guessing game lol

LacyJay: You need to discuss this with the doctor. You are a young mom and they expect these questions - we were all young once. With your little girl sitting in the high chair for so long, she doesn't get the exercise that she needs and the stimulation from crawling/walking around, getting into things (just part of the deal) and this could really cause delays - no nice way to say it. Thinking you might end up actually counting her calorie intake to make sure she is getting enough calories in her diet and then if she is still hungry, you would address that issue. She may have just gotten into a pattern of taking a long time to eat, playing with her food, etc. and it is not good for your system to sit and keep eating since the digestion system needs a break. So, talk with the doctor and ask for suggestions. Make a list before you go to the doctor so you can make sure that you remember to get your questions answered as sometimes they try to rush you, when they ask what they can do for you today say "I have a list." Keep us posted, Cathy

Ohyea im a big list person lol...i hate it when they rush me is is aggervating...one of these days im going to stand in front of the door untille the answer all my Q lol

Archived