Mental Support Community

What are your intentions for 2010?

Bluerose

For last year's words belong to last year's language

And next year's words await another voice.

And to make an end is to make a beginning.

~T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

Well, I don't know about you, but I feel great just having survived 2009 and knowing that it is over and behind us.

Even though today is just another day and nothing really has changed except the date on the calendar, symbolically, New Year's Day always feels like a clean slate and a chance to begin again.

This is a great time for creating new intentions and for ceremonies or rituals to release the old and bring forward the new.

I suggest doing a Burning Bowl Ceremony, which allows you to release all negative feelings, thoughts or experiences that accumulated in the previous year. Here's how it works:

1. Take a piece of paper and write down everything you wish to release and let go of as you step forward into the New Year. This can include hurtful experiences, resentments, relationship issues, negative thoughts or feelings, financial or health issues.

2. Once you've finished, tear or cut each issue you wish to release into a strip of paper and wad it up into a ball.

3. Take a large fire-proof bowl (aluminum is good) and fill it about 1/3 full with salt or sand.

4. Place your pieces of paper into the bowl. Light a candle.

5. Now say a prayer...something like this:

God or Universe or whoever or whatever you pray to

Please help me to release these negative thoughts, feelings and experiences that I have accumulated. I surrender these to you and ask to be done with them. Take them from me so that I may be a clear vehicle for receiving this New Year and all the good you have in store for me and my life's purpose. I release and let go of all that no longer serves me as I claim my new life which is unfolding beautifully right here and right now. And so it is.

6. Take your candle and light the paper in the bowl. (Have a glass of water nearby, just in case.) Let the fire consume the negative, old aspects of your life completely. You are now free to begin again. If the old issues keep resurfacing, keep praying and doing your work to release them. You can even do a Burning Bowl Ceremony monthly if needed.

7. Now, sit down and make a list of all your intentions for 2010. Turn this list into a daily prayer or affirmation and repeat it daily and see what happens.

What are your intentions for 2010?

This is soo amazing because my sister and i did what's called the "Pheonix" It's a symbol of death and rebirth. It is when you call on the transition to the New Year by writing out a list of unhelpful situations or personal qualities that you wish to leave behind. Then burn the list, asking the pheonix to re absorb this negativity and replenish your inner self with fresh energy. I got this from a one spirit book i had and decided to try it and it seem very similar to what Bluerose mention. At the time i burn the paper i brought it outside on the porch newyears at the stroke of midnight and said a little prayer and it felt hopeful. I really think this kind of rituals are self assurance and gives the New Year hope because everytime i am reverting back to the negatives i remember that i wrote this on that paper and burned it so why is it re surfacing, so right then i change my mental state and it works.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah thats what im talkin bout questions are more important than answers, because i think a answer without a question isnt an answer to anything, but yea i got alotta questions ive yet to answer and when helping people solve their problems its helps me realize the answer/solution to some of my problems/questions.

When I was a kid I used to spend time at my grandparents, and if I asked my granddad a question he would say “Go look it up.” This used to piss me off. Then I finally realised that while looking something up I discovered all these other wonderful facts. He was gone before I had this revelation so I was unable to thank him.

Archived