Mental Support Community

What meds do you take for anxiety???

archyb

Benzos work great, but they generally aren't recommended for people with chemical dependency issues because they are easy to get hooked on. I was on xanax and klonopin for a while but became addicted to them and had to go to a weeklong detox to get it out of my system. So they aren't an option for me.

One of the SSRI anti-depressants, Paxil / paroxetine is also very good for treating anxiety without the dependency issue.

Aterax / hydroxyzine, an anti-histamine, is also prescribed for anxiety, also non-dependency-producing.

Propanalol, a beta-blocker used for cardiac patients, likewise.

I currently take Xanax. Have taken the same amount (3mg a day) for 4 years. When I quit taking Effexor and Lamictal I had to increase to 4 mg in the last 6 months. There are days I take more, and days I take less. My MHNP said that the Effexor is known to help with anxiety. ACK!!!! She wanted me to consider taking Clonazepam. She knows my views on taking medications and I resisted her suggestion. She has also suggested Valium, as it's half life is more than that of Xanax. 'We' 'might' try that at a later date. My goal is to quit taking any medications.

Was curious as to the reference to antihistamines to help with anxiety....... After some googling, I find that the histamines are in our bodies for a reason. Some of them actually keep us alert and focused. When we get a cold we notice them because they cause vessels to dialate, etc. That's when we reach for the antihistamines.....to alleviate those symptoms. The problem is, they can make the body/mind tired....non focused, etc.

I'd be worried that taking antihistamines on a daily basis would eventually interfere with the bodies production of naturally occurring histamines.

Someone mentioned chemical dependency, which I agree with in terms of someone abusing their prescription, but I can't help but wonder, with the horrific withdrawls I had getting off of Effexor, Lamictal and Straterra......wouldn't that in itself be a clinically induced chemical dependency?

• 3 weeks later...
Someone mentioned chemical dependency, which I agree with in terms of someone abusing their prescription, but I can't help but wonder, with the horrific withdrawls I had getting off of Effexor, Lamictal and Straterra......wouldn't that in itself be a clinically induced chemical dependency?

Interesting question. :( There is probably chemical dependency in that the body protests if the drug is stopped, but this is not the same as drug addiction. Although in terms of experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you're trying to stop, that difference seems very semantic!

From the Wiki entry Drug Addiction:

Drug addiction is a pathological or abnormal condition which arises due to frequent drug use. The disorder of addiction involves the progression of acute drug use to the development of drug-seeking behaviour, the vulnerability to relapse, and the decreased, slowed ability to respond to naturally rewarding stimuli. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) has categorized three stages of addiction: preoccupation/anticipation, binge/intoxication, and withdrawal/negative affect. These stages are characterized, respectively, everywhere by constant cravings and preoccupation with obtaining the substance; using more of the substance than necessary to experience the intoxicating effects; and experiencing tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, and decreased motivation for normal life activities.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be worried that taking antihistamines on a daily basis would eventually interfere with the bodies production of naturally occurring histamines.

Just wanted to add: I bought a box of diphenhydramine (anti-histamine) tablets, packaged as a sleep aid (Betasleep) and it said in the PI that it should not be taken on consecutive nights or regularly, only occasionally. So Rockwood, you're right.

I know that Aterax (also an AH) is marketed as an anti-anxiety drug, perhaps it is indicated for panic attacks and not for regular anxiety use? Not sure.

So thanks for raising that point, Rockwood and I'm adding this because I think old threads get read too.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm poor with no insurance so i don't get any treatment. I called hospitals and they only refer me to someone else. I have called a suicide hotline and they don't answer the phone. I think I will try jail. Jail is place to go if you are poor and mentally ill.

This is absolutely remarkable and really angers me-- that one of our own citizens can't get help!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh. I used to suggest to my clients that they try brick therapy, which was successful 100% of the time. I won't give you the same recommendation; however, walking into an ER and emphasizing that you're actively suicidal (think about it constantly, have a plan and have developed a way to complete it) will generally get you admitted-- all state codes have established this threshold for admission.

Archived