Mental Support Community

Feeling stupid

Sweetmom2

Today i actually got a friend over today. I scarsely get those. Mmm what to talk about? Kids, kids, kids, and o jea kids! Got nothing else to talk about. Im thinking about something to say...great no idea, quiet moment, then kids,kids,kids! Gosh i feel so stupid, though im teaching math.cant talk sums to her hey? Shes a stay-at-home mom and i really want to build a relationship with her, shell be friend nr 3.

The joys of being a moma, with that lovely side effect of kids on yer brain - literally :)

Dont worry too much, its nice to be a moma, enjoy it !!!

Its not stupid, your a proud moma, and I must admit, thats all I talked about at every given oppertunity :)

Your friend is a stay at home moma she will understand, in time Im sure you can arrange to go places together, without the children and then your both have something different to talk about, although dont be supprised if you end up talking about the kids :)

The worst part is when you are talking with an adult and accidentally use baby language. "Could you please hand me the baa? I mean bottle...":o When they are young you are devoting so much of your time and thoughts and energy into caring for them, I think this is pretty natural. Maybe it might be helpful to meet up with your friend sometime away from the house? Maybe at a restaurant for lunch? Or the spa? Someplace where there aren't so many reminders. I do think it is very helpful to take a breather now and then. Maybe a different environment would help.

Hmm... what to talk about? The news? The latest movie you saw? Latest fashion failure or triumph or something?

I'm one to talk!! Today I was wondering if there is a book somewhere on how to make friends... like; what is okay to talk about when? XD So maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

Just tell her you feel a bit awkward or shy, maybe she's feeling the same way?

But yeah. I completely understand!!

Let us know how things progress :D

Can't say I know much about the kids thing,,,,but in the making friends department [ that elludes me also LOL ] I give it a shot though .

. oooooooooooooooooooK,,,,I just sat here and realized , I don't have a clue either.

But if someone does find a book out there titled mmmmmmmmm?? Making friends for "dummies" LOL...:(:):o ,, I would be pretty sure I would skim it and go back to being an introvert....

* this reply was strictly for entertainment purposes only *

Just to keep up though and the kid part ,, maybe you could share those Quess what I caught them doing this time thingy >> again for the humorous side of child rearing... :D

WMD.

• 2 weeks later...
Today i actually got a friend over today. I scarsely get those. Mmm what to talk about? Kids, kids, kids, and o jea kids! Got nothing else to talk about. Im thinking about something to say...great no idea, quiet moment, then kids,kids,kids! Gosh i feel so stupid, though im teaching math.cant talk sums to her hey? Shes a stay-at-home mom and i really want to build a relationship with her, shell be friend nr 3.

Not sure if this thread is over or still active ;)

Considering my own social anxieties...

But there are sometimes silent moments that are good silent moments, just let them happen and don't be nervous.

Then there are silent moments where the other one is at a loss what to say as much as you are. My 'normal' ways out are

-talk about books

-talk about a TV show

-talk about some political thing I think I can achieve agreement on (not if it's too controversial, then I leave it alone)

-I have some more hobbies other then reading, knitting is one and sometimes I just show a project in progress

-the dog (he's btw good on noticing tension and then doing a doggie thing to get it relaxed, like coming up and ask to be petted, beg for a treat, showing the stranger that s/he is welcome)

I usually use those as 'opener' to not let the silence get a lasting one and don't insist on staying with the topic (to not bore people) when the conversation gets back in a flow.

Things that are 'dangerous' (for me at least) is talking about weight and weight related issues. I have had people get seriously offended (and still don't really understand how/why) when I said that I was getting fat and needed to do something about it. Fashion is a difficult one, too, somehow I think I'm not getting it, so I just stay away from it otherwise people get pissed at me. I'm sure you got the one or other to add to the list, the 'red flag' type things.

What I try to stay away from it trying to put people at ease. Somehow I'm most of the time off in interpreting what I think is going on. Like I think somebody is aggressive when they're defensive or so, so I usually go straight in the wrong direction.

Since your original post was written almost a month ago I was wondering how things with your friend developed.

Archived