Mental Support Community

Light/Dark; Good/Evil; Love/Pain

Jetliner

It is such a frightening place to be in; to know that the one thing you MUST do to survive is the one thing you have conditioned yourself to avoid at all costs.

And this is the very place- within the confines of our fears- where one may learn the greatest life lessons, feel the deepest emotions and, upon its release, experience the most profound joy.

I like to think of love as being within. It's already there as potential, buried beneath our pain, and may only be fully realized when we confront that which fears us most. So I've always thought of it more as letting love out, letting it light you up and embracing yourself from within. And that is where serenity is found, within the acceptance of ourselves.

Hi John

Thanks for your post.

You are right and I know for me I functioned all my life with walls up and still do. I am ok with them because it is my "safe" place.

Maybe not the most practical way of dealing but it is MY way of dealing and keeping me "safe".

So, when it feels safe, I can drop those walls and then that keeps ME in control.

Not the best coping skill, but I'm still alive and somewhat sane right?

:P

Hi Linda. How are you feeling today?

I think that everyone has to go at their own pace and walk down their own path. So long as you are finding your way, whether it be one baby step at a time or giant leaps, you are moving forward to a place of healing. Sounds as if you are doing just fine.

Take care, Linda.

Oh....and by the way....

I do love this topic :) but....I'm just heading out of town for a workshop thingy. I'll post on here when I'm bored and tired of listening. It's one of those program administrator trainings for the online system we use at work. They're talking about all the updates and changes. But....I'm decent at self study so most of it I've already figured out on my own. So.......that means I have my computer but will have time to post here....and email and play on facebook and and and......

:D

Guest ASchwartz

Hi John,

I sense that you are feeling better than you were recently.

I think its important that I point out a couple of things that you mentioned in some recent posts. You said that, when you give love, you receive it back. Sadly, that is sometimes not true. That is why it can hurt so much to love someone and discover they do not love you back. It happens not only in romance but between parent and child, as well. A child might love their parent and their parent hate the child. Awful.

But, that brings me to my next point, and you touched upon it: The importance of loving yourself, first. It is when we have self love and acceptance that we can choose partners and friends who are capable of loving us back.

Joh, do you love yourself?

Allan

Something I learned from therapy and from having loved my therapist...

Knowing of the love we have to offer and coming to realize our potential to offer it may lead the way to self-love. Feeling giving, accepting and loving toward another person acknowledges that we are giving, loving and accepting. In the eyes of another we may see our own greatest potential. So looking at him was in essence a gift to myself and would intensify the good feelings I had about myself. A reflective mirror...Of course loving the therapist in a therapeutic relationship is an entirely different type of thing, but it taught me a great deal about giving and receiving. Others may bring out our points of light and positive energy, but those gifts are ours to give.

Some additional thoughts I had since you got me thinking about this, John.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi John,

You are not thinking clearly. Loving yourself is NOT the cause of pain. Loving other people is not the cause of pain and hopelessness. Its the Absence of love that causes problems.

Are you still in therapy and are you on medication?

What has happened to bring about this bout of depression you are experiencing?

Allan:(

Archived