Mental Support Community

What mental/physical disorders do you have?

Aaron.X.C

As the title reads... What do you have tell the community what you have, and explain how it feels. Etc.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, Mild Mental Retardation, Minor Short Term Memory, and muteness. (I have gotten past muteness at 7-8 years old not sure) I am not medicated nor in therapy, as my parents deny me from going. I believe I also have schizo affective disorder, as it is connected to asperger's syndrome. And I do experience the symptoms.

Well, that's a long list of labels, Aaron. How about telling us how it feels? For instance, you've talked a bit about your current symptoms. How did you feel about talking, when you were younger, and not doing it? Was it fear, do you think, or did it just not seem useful?

In my case, I've had a few labels, over the years. Generalized Anxiety Disorder (I do get anxious about things, without obsessing much over particular ones), Major Depression (I wonder why depression has never been promoted to colonel? In my case, it has been quite severe enough, sometimes, to merit the promotion), and, less often, Social Anxiety and Bipolar. Personally, I think the labels are less important than the experience.

Labels for me are just the explanation on why I feel like it, but I don't remember all I felt, but the muteness was horrible, going through grades in school, without being able to respond all I could do was just grunt. The kids would say, why can't he talk, hes weird,don't talk to him.(Along with making fun of me as well) Which was I suppose the reason why i got into so much trouble in the earlier grades... Asperger's Syndrome, when I could talk not only did I have a lot of trouble trying to relate to people, I also stuttered like hell, which well sucked as you could imagine, over the years I've improved I don't stutter as much but quite a bit of people still have trouble understanding me. I tend to talk to certain people more often thats supposed to be a symptom but never really bothered. I can offend people very easily make decisions that hurt people, mainly because I don't realize that it hurts their feelings. Then minor short term memory, well thats probably obvious, I forget stuff A LOT, I can easily forget about something, easy example, homework, forget that a lot of time, even if I'm asked constantly if I have homework, If i don't remember I'm gonna say no, then I realize I did have homework and try and do it before the teacher checks it lol. Like for example I pronmise myself I'm goign to do something or tell me parents about something, for example last year I was going to tell them about the bedroom door that had a broken lock(I kept forgetting everyday). The best chance I have of remembering something is if it "just pops" inside my mind, and thats how it literally feels a random thought. I don't I really need to explain much more as I still "suffer" from it. Last but not least, Mild Mental Retardation, I don't really know what to put, I'm supposed to have some sort of low IQ(Intelligence Quotient). I was almost sent to Special Education classes when I was younger, because my lovely(sarcasm) teaches said I was retarded... My father defended(Is that a defense, would that have helped?) me and didn't want me to go. I think I've already said about the other stuff(Hallucinations, hearing voices in my head, and "paranoid") The most recent example would be last night, I was hallucinating voices of groups of people talking about what they were going to do with me in my old parents bedroom.(They had an expansion built so bigger bedroom etc.) But yes, life is unfair. But oh well. By the way how long do bruise tend to last? I've been biting my hand to "try and feel alive" Recently(Starting yesterday) I have been feeling as if I have no emotions (Same for other feelings...), things that would seem funny aren't I think I already put a thread or blog about that so yehh...

That sounds like a pretty rough childhood.

I know some people who have various degrees of selective mutism. Most of them can at least say a few words, though, when they have to. And we're getting more information about Asperger's, all the time. I'm sorry that people made fun of you; that's just cruel. As for "retarded", you don't seem that way, to me. Dude, if you can spell 'Intelligence Quotient', yours isn't that low. {And even if you read it off from somewhere, that's still pretty smart.} There are lots of tricks for overcoming poor short-term memory; that something that isn't even that uncommon. My mother could never remember where she had put anything ... We had to find stuff for her, based on where she was, last. :-)

To answer your question, bruises tend to last about a week or so, but it depends on whether you keep creating them ... You realize this is just a different kind of self-injury, right, just like cutting? Maybe there's some other way to feel alive?

I wish there were some way to get you some help with your visions, though.

I do realize it, but, I'm not suicidal, well not anymore, I just don't want have a chances of risking serious injury. I also do it to get rid of anger quick. It kinda makes my heart beat fast, makes me feel good,(This one time I drank 4 red bulls in a row, ahh... my heart beat so fast, felt so good, but big risk of getting a heart attack so I don't drink as much) and now since I got pulled out of karate for a dislocated hip. I can't fight and let out my anger as easily, a punching bag isn't as fun to punch kick or stab. And my parents said if I ever cut again their sending me to a mental institute eek :/ I never really believed about having that low of an IQ, I do good in certain classes. And very bad in certain classes. I think thats normal, so yeh. And I also like my Auto-spell check thing on Google chrome.

I often do those IQ tests because I feel I am losing it. Mine always comes out about 134. I think I am right in saying that is fairly high. My Mum is 150 and a member of mensa. I think the average is more around 100. But I maybe wrong. I have often maintained that a lot of mental health issues are the curse of the intelligent. But that is just my opinion (perhaps to make myself feel slightly better?!)

Well, Aaron, with an IQ above 100 (yes, that number is defined as average, by the design of the tests), there's no chance of you having intelligence problems, whatever else you might have.

It's possible that it's a multi-sided coin, though ...

Archived