Mental Support Community

Questions about seeing a Dr

Calla

Hi Calla

Sorry to hear that things were so harsh for you this weekend, Im please that you were able to find the strength to reach out for help.

If you feel it too difficult to ring and make a drs appointment yourself, maybe you could ask a friend to make the call for you.

The dr receptionist, shouldnt need to neccessarily know what it is concerning, if they do, just say it is a personal matter that you only feel comfortable disscussing with your dr.

If the tears overwhelm you and you cannot talk, then just write things down, the dr will understand. Ive had to write things down a lot in the past too. It helps me sometimes, also that way if I write roughly what I need to say before, I dont forget anything. (im kinda forgetful)

Dont worry, you will be fine, and you are strong enough to do this B)

Let us know how you get on.

Take care

Hello Calla,

I'm not sure what you mean by BDD, could you enlighten me?

As for seeing a doctor, this link has some good information for taking charge of your appointment and negotiating for that which you believe will best help you: Reclaiming Your Power During Medication Visits.

(because I dislike my Dr so much) If I ask to see another Dr they may say "Dr X is your Dr so you have to see him" Can I just say I'd like another Dr, will they ask why?

They might. Do you have an answer in place you can give them? Maybe you could come up with several and write those answers down. Take the pad with you to the phone so if you get hit with that question, you'll already have some potential answers you can pull from in your response.

To be fair I don't live in a nice area and I think they get abuse. But if I try and pick and choose my appointment they will get funny with me.

It might be difficult for them to give you a precise time (i.e., 1:30) but they might be more open to a block of time (i.e., the afternoon). If they try to book you for a morning appointment just patiently explain that you have other commitments in the morning. If you think they'll press you for a more explicit explanation, have those in place, already jotted down on your notebook.

If I get as far as the Drs I know I will cry. I've mentioned this before but I dont think anyone hasanswered me (sorry if I missed it) But when I cry I can't actually talk!! So should I write things down??

Write down an agenda for what you want to happen in the appointment with the doctor. That way, if you find you are getting tearful and you can't speak, you can point to that item in your agenda. Also, if you have a supportive friend or family member you can discuss your concerns with and who will accompany you to the doctor's, they can also step in and encourage you to speak or speak on your behalf if they see you're struggling with that.

And do you think I should mention BDD in the first appointment or just depression? As my book says its not very well known about and it may confuse the Dr!! The book also says a surprising amount of sufferers respond very well to ADs and find it alleivates symptoms even before therapy.

I'm not sure what that is myself but I think it's probably most helpful if you can be candid and upfront with your doctor. Do be sure to ask if there are any other physical conditions that could be causing your difficulties and following up on any lab tests to get those answers. As an example, thyroid dysfunction can sometimes trigger depressive episodes. In those cases, thyroid medication may be a more appropriate step than an anti-depressant medication.

I am terrified of putting on weight through meds.

It's my understanding that some of the mood-stabilizers can do this and a number of the anti-psychotics. I would suggest that the only appropriate use of anti-psychotic medications are for psychotic episodes that an individual cannot cope with on their own or with support. Do be aware that there is an increasing trend to use a number of these medications off-label.

When you do speak to your doctor about medications, ask him/her to tell you what class of drugs that medication belongs to and to also explain any risks and benefits of the medication.

Good luck to you.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Calla,

Please do not worry about confusing the psychiatrist. It is his job to figure things out. It is what they are trained for.

Also, I believe you see the psychiatrist first in the UK and then you can ask for a therapist.

Please let us know how it goes.

Allan

Guest ASchwartz

Calla,

Believe me, we all have "those days" from time to time.

You are not alone is confusing psychiatrists and therapists. Over thirty years of experience has demonstrated to me that the public remains confused.

Allan:)

Archived