Mental Support Community

The value of support

Symora

I joined this forum around last december I think, and boy was I a mess back then. In deep depression, confused, alone, tired of living. When I first arrived I posted like 20 times a day, I was so thirsty for someone to hear me, discuss things with someone, and I was not dissapointed. I met wonderful people here, from all over the world, strangers who became friends, people who reached out to me and supported me though a very difficult time. I was even asked to moderate, and that was a great honour for me, to be trusted in that way and to be basically told that I had something positive to contribute to the health of this forum.

It is now many months later and your kindness, tolerance and encouragement have seen me through to the other side. I am feeling so much better, I have overcome this bout of deep depression and am rebuilding my life after many losses. All of that is directly attributable to all of you, I truly mean that. I have found a place where I can come everyday to visit, feel connected. I was given good advice, but mostly I was told that I was a worthwhile human being and that I was going to get through this rough path ... and I did.

I'm grateful to each and everyone of you who come here and lend your voice to the discussions. I have learned much about my own mental illness with your help and I have also learned to be grateful for those things that I do have. Your presence and kind words are invaluable in my life... even if you are all invisible people :( Never doubt that your kindness and compassion make a difference, because it does... I am living proof of that...

Symora, you have been such a support for me and many others here i'm sure, i'm glad you have come through the other side of the mist and that you are feeling better and stronger in yourself. When i first arrived at this forum, you were one of the people who helped me, supported me and offered me their kind words to keep me going through the tough times, the times when everything seemed against me.

Now as i find myself still struggling you continue to offer your kind words and advice, i hope that sometime in the near future i will be writing a similar post about how i've come through the rough times..

I hope life keeps good to you, you deserve it :(

Take Care...

Kindness and compassion are very powerful. We should research the power of it more. I'm sending good vibes your way as cup seems to be running over lately. :( I'll take the sunny days while they are here and savour them during the long days of winter...

Symora:

May I add something about the value of support ...?

For me the greatest part of support lies in Being Heard. Just being able to tell your story and have someone else listen. Everyone has a story but not everyone gets to tell their story as many people don't really listen. Being able to be listened to when you explain how you feel, validates your experience and provides catharsis and connects you with others. I have also found enormous support from online forums, often purely from being listened to.

I agree. I think in fact it was what made the difference for me because I could talk about my situation nowhere else, and it was twirling and twirling inside of me and finding no outlet. This is my first forum experience and I have frankly been surprised at the impact that being heard and supported here has had on my psyche. I had spent many years not being heard, feeling like I was going to explode from everything twirling inside of me. Even if I dared speak about with someone I never felt anyone understood. But in the forums I met people who really understood, and could even relate. It has helped me to feel more solid and confident, and upon that footing I am now able to rebuild ...

Hi Symora, hi Luna.

For me the greatest part of support lies in Being Heard

I agree that just knowing someone is listening can make all the difference.

Being able to be listened to when you explain how you feel, validates your experience and provides catharsis and connects you with others.

Both of you ladies are extremely good listeners and I want to thank you for all the times you have listened to me. :)

I think it definitely works both ways. In our hearing another, that person gives to us too...by sharing with us... and by allowing us to be caring with them. We're being human together...and recognizing that, being humbled by it, accepting it. I find that I really like the part of myself that I access while I'm offering support to others here. It feels good to be kind and compassionate. I like believing that we can all treat one another with gentleness and respect. So while I'm listening, I can help but to hear a little of my heart too. We all struggle in our own ways and we can be there for one another when we do. Or at least that's something that I always hope for. Got a bit off track there...:)

Archived