Mental Support Community

Myers Briggs/Jung Typology Test

I looked to see if such a thread had been started before but I couldn't find one. I did, however, find this: Psychological Testing: Myers Briggs

For those not in the know, the Myers Briggs test is based on typologies that Jung developed. I consistently score as an INFJ. I once noted to a friend that the description was so accurate, it was embarrasing...

... Although they are happy working at jobs (such as writing) that require solitude and close attention, Counselors do quite well with individuals or groups of people, provided that the personal interactions are not superficial, and that they find some quiet, private time every now and then to recharge their batteries.

Counselors are scarce, little more than one percent of the population, and can be hard to get to know, since they tend not to share their innermost thoughts or their powerful emotional reactions except with their loved ones. They are highly private people, with an unusually rich, complicated inner life. ...

Blessed with vivid imaginations, Counselors are often seen as the most poetical of all the types, and in fact they use a lot of poetic imagery in their everyday language. Their great talent for language-both written and spoken-is usually directed toward communicating with people in a personalized way. Counselors are highly intuitive and can recognize another's emotions or intentions - good or evil - even before that person is aware of them. Counselors themselves can seldom tell how they came to read others' feelings so keenly. This extreme sensitivity to others could very well be the basis of the Counselor's remarkable ability to experience a whole array of psychic phenomena.

Source: keirsey.com: INFJ

In the online environment I'm often mistaken for an extrovert but this is because more of my inner life can be seen in this environment. In my offline life, I'm much quieter. In fact, quietude is something absolutely essential to me.

Meantime, the article I linked above also noted...

Introverted Intuition looks to what will be and what the deep significance of something is. This process often tunes in to aspects of universal human experience and archetypal symbols. Introverted intuition is directed inward to the contents of the unconscious. It attempts to fathom internal events by relating them to universal psychological processes or to other archetypal images. Consequently it generally has a mythical, symbolic or prophetic quality.

I guess that explains my affinity for Jungian lines of inquiry. :)

If anyone else wishes to see where they score, they can find a number of free online tests through any search engine.

So, I was bored a couple of nights ago and took an online personality test using the Briggs-Myers scale. It seems I am an INFJ (Introverted-iNtuitive-Feeling-Judging). http://typelogic.com/infj.html

I am also diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. Seriously, is it possible to be both a borderline and an INFJ? Seems rather odd.

Here is the test: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I guess like all online tests you should take the results with a grain of salt. :)

IrmaJean, how interesting that you're also an INFJ. Maybe we should poll Josh Groban fans and see how many are the same. :)

fmw: If you want to see what others said a while back on this look here..

lol! That was very interesting. The number of introverted doesn't surprise me (we tend to prefer solitary activities like computing) but the number of introverted NFJs does.

My problem with this test (not just this one but others too) is that I score differently when I am manic than when I am depressed. :) There really is only one 'me', but even when my mood is mid-line I am predominantly one or the other and it colours everything: perceptions, beliefs, thoughts, behaviour; not just feelings.

But I guess that is my own problem ... :(

Is this a standardised test or are there Mickey Mouse versions out there? I've grown sceptical of these online things you do yourself, because of differing results. Where can I find a proper version?

Maybe I should give it yet another bash and see if there is at least some consistency at each pole. The only personality type I match seems to be "Inconsistent"!

I've probably taken it around three times and every time I've taken it, I've tested a different combination of letters. After the third I just gave up. I have tested on the cusp of some indicators and it swings different ways, depending. You could say I sit on the fence or you could call it versatile. :( "Well balanced", I am not. What shall I be today? :o

I'd still like a thorough, standardised one if anyone knows a reputable source. I'll try again and find my type du jour.

(Sorry, didn't mean to turn this thread towards me and my difficulties!)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Barbara,

I am not a big fan of the MyersBriggs. I am not sure that it is a valid personality test.

I am also not a fan of labels. You ask about "being borderline." Borderline is a diagnosis and, as such, does not mean a lot. We are first and foremost, human beings.

What do you think?

Allan

I did three tests that I found - the three referenced in Wikipedia from which the MentalHelp article was written. None had the same questions.

The two consistencies are Introversion and Feeling and that is accurate.

I score equally on Perceiving and Judging.

I score almost equally on Intuitive and Sensing.

So I get INFP, INFJ, ISFJ, ISFP. Hey, I'm lots of people! :)

PS. I'm not a Josh Groban fan, does that swing the vote? :(

My H came out ENTJ and the description is a dead ringer for him. It was pretty creepy. We're complete opposites...

PS. I'm not a Josh Groban fan, does that swing the vote? :D
What??? :eek: Not a Josh Groban fan? Let me send you a few hundred song links...:o

I think Allan's point is extremely valuable. "Borderline" describes certain problems with relating to the world. It is unfortunate that it is termed a 'personality disorder' as it sounds as if what you ARE, is a disorder. This isn't the case at all. You are a person with your own personality above and beyond any problems you may have. Join the club, work on the problems and don't buy into the silly labels - it's more self-esteem building that way. :o

I think Allan's point is extremely valuable. "Borderline" describes certain problems with relating to the world. It is unfortunate that it is termed a 'personality disorder' as it sounds as if what you ARE, is a disorder.

Isn't that the truth? I really think that was the purpose of it.

This isn't the case at all. You are a person with your own personality above and beyond any problems you may have. Join the club, work on the problems and don't buy into the silly labels - it's more self-esteem building that way. :D

Thanks! :D Actually, the INFJ profile is quite accurate for me in many ways. As to BPD, the problems are quite severe and really need to be taken seriously. I think the label should be changed to something like emotion dysregulation disorder (which they are considering) and it should be coded on Axis I.

Archived