Mental Support Community

Coping in School (College)

Cali1luv

Guest SomethingOrOther

I don't think I can recommend the way I coped with school. :o

But I think it's important that the amount of things you have to do doesn't overwhelm you. It can be good to have a realistic schedule for finishing tasks, so that you can deal with one at a time, knowing that you will get to other tasks at another time. Also, you can enjoy the free time better, if you are confident you'll get things done with your plan.

I have to admit that the means I used to cope in college () are not great choices. I dont know how I made it through those days alive, let alone with a bachelors and masters degree. Now I have a pretty heavy duty, stress inducing job as an adult (elementary teacher running inclusion classrooms of general ed and special ed students) and also am a mother of three. So although I am no longer a student I do understand/remember the stresses involved in college.

What has helped me to function and stay on track is the never-ending "to-do" list. My brain can get so muddled with flashbacks, severe depression and anxiety that I have trouble remembering anything. Writing down everything that i have to do keeps me focused... as long as I don't look at the whole list and instead focus on each item. I also think having a therapist to work at the stresses has helped me stay on track so it appears I am keeping myself together. If you are able to, find a support system of friends or family that you can talk to (I cant do this myself but it has been suggested!)

I hope that you can make healthy choices to help you stay on track as a student.

I did struggle through school with anxiety and depression, and what I found helpful is throwing myself into my school work. I also suffer from ADHD without hyperactivity,(formerly ADD) which made my depression and anxiety worse. I found that when I asked for help I got what I needed which made it more likely for me to succeed. I had a note taker in classes, so I could focus more on what was being said and I also had more time (a quiet place) to take tests so I did not have distractions that way. But as for the depression I found that speaking with a counseler really helped me work through some of the tough stuff.

Only you can find what will work for you. Do you have a job that you can get involved with after school, or friends. Otherwise volunteering in the community may help lift your spirits alittle. I wish you the best of luck, as going to college is stressful anyway much less when you are suffering from depression.

Thank you so much for the info. I have a hard time concentrating too at times. Now, I have a clear schedule I have a lot of free time than before, so imma take advantage of that.. thanks :(

I did struggle through school with anxiety and depression, and what I found helpful is throwing myself into my school work. I also suffer from ADHD without hyperactivity,(formerly ADD) which made my depression and anxiety worse. I found that when I asked for help I got what I needed which made it more likely for me to succeed. I had a note taker in classes, so I could focus more on what was being said and I also had more time (a quiet place) to take tests so I did not have distractions that way. But as for the depression I found that speaking with a counseler really helped me work through some of the tough stuff.

Only you can find what will work for you. Do you have a job that you can get involved with after school, or friends. Otherwise volunteering in the community may help lift your spirits alittle. I wish you the best of luck, as going to college is stressful anyway much less when you are suffering from depression.

Hi.. thanks for the reply. I make a to-do list and at times never do it :(:( but I see your point, it will keep me on track and focused:D

I have to admit that the means I used to cope in college () are not great choices. I dont know how I made it through those days alive, let alone with a bachelors and masters degree. Now I have a pretty heavy duty, stress inducing job as an adult (elementary teacher running inclusion classrooms of general ed and special ed students) and also am a mother of three. So although I am no longer a student I do understand/remember the stresses involved in college.

What has helped me to function and stay on track is the never-ending "to-do" list. My brain can get so muddled with flashbacks, severe depression and anxiety that I have trouble remembering anything. Writing down everything that i have to do keeps me focused... as long as I don't look at the whole list and instead focus on each item. I also think having a therapist to work at the stresses has helped me stay on track so it appears I am keeping myself together. If you are able to, find a support system of friends or family that you can talk to (I cant do this myself but it has been suggested!)

I hope that you can make healthy choices to help you stay on track as a student.

Hi.. I'm in the middle of finding a new therapist. How am I managing it? IDK.. at times I feel like im ok then other times I feel out of it, really irritable.:(:confused: .. So idk if that answered ur question:D:o

How are you doing managing your depression and anxiety? Are you in therapy?

Well, I'm in college right now; it's my junior year of college; to get out of a funk I...

-read self help books

-go for a long walk

-pray

-meditate (or attempt to)

-go to the university gym/exercise

-schedule a meeting with the counseling services provided by the school

-throw myself into work

-go to the mall

-go for a drive

-watch a movie online

-call a friend

-go to this website

-keep a positive attitude

-call parents if it's serious

-keep taking my anti-anxiety meds at the prescribed rate

it's been a tough semester but I just try to keep going. An especially good read for me was Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. This guy basically was a clinician who experienced being in a concentration camp, but coped with it and found meaning with his life. So if this guy can go through this, then college should be a cakewalk compared to what these people went through

I try not to get stuck on mistakes or failures, and reason that basically what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... like a learning curve I guess lol; I hope this helps! You're not the only one having trouble in college btw there are a bunch of us!

Thank you sooo much for the info. Imma check out that book too. I know sometimes I get 2 caught up on me that I dont seem to realize that other people have it waaay worse than I do.:o

Well, I'm in college right now; it's my junior year of college; to get out of a funk I...

-read self help books

-go for a long walk

-pray

-throw myself into work

-go to the mall

-go for a drive

-watch a movie online

-call a friend

-go to this website

it's been a tough semester but I just try to keep going. An especially good read for me was Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. This guy basically was a clinician who experienced being in a concentration camp, but coped with it and found meaning with his life. So if this guy can go through this, then college should be a cakewalk compared to what these people went through

I try not to get stuck on mistakes or failures, and reason that basically what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... like a learning curve I guess lol; I hope this helps! You're not the only one having trouble in college btw there are a bunch of us!

I love these ideas and im thinking of doing some of them myself :( Im also in college but im doing it online which may be totally different in some ways. I am going for a two year degree and i graduate this november (really hoping) For me it was hard to concentrate, run a house, and be a single mom all at one time but i managed to do it somehow or i wouldnt have gotten this far. alot of people told me that online learning is alot easier well to me its been extremely difficult with the stress of everyday life and wih depression added on top of it.

my advice to you is just pace yourself do what you can at a time. take breaks and just breathe. I am taking three classes at one time online and my stepmother gave me the greatest advice. she told me that if i can take over 5 classes in highschool for 8 hours a day or so then i can take three at a time online and guess what so far its working:) so if i can do it so can you :)

hang in there and dont do so much where you feel overwhelmed trust me its even harder that way. Most importantly dont give up no matter how hard it is just keep going because in the end its really going to be worth it. I hope this helps :)

-read self help books

-go for a long walk

-pray

-throw myself into work

-go to the mall

-go for a drive

-watch a movie online

-call a friend

-go to this website

Archived