Mental Support Community

world autism awareness day

danni

World Autism Awareness Day is coming up on Saturday, April 2, and it’s going to light up the world in blue! Light It Up Blue is an easy way to raise awareness about autism and be part of a worldwide movement to show your support for the autism community.

I work with individuals on the Autism spectrum and, although autism is getting to be more understood, many many folks on the spectrum still fall through the cracks. If you want to learn more about "light up the world in blue" go to the autism speaks website.

Doctors did not know what was wrong with my brother until he was 2 years old and he has a very severe case. This was back in the early 60's. It is wonderful that doctors and society as a whole are more aware of autism now, though sad that some still fall through the cracks. More awareness is a great thing. Thanks for posting this.

World Autism Awareness Day is coming up on Saturday, April 2, and it’s going to light up the world in blue! Light It Up Blue is an easy way to raise awareness about autism and be part of a worldwide movement to show your support for the autism community.

I work with individuals on the Autism spectrum and, although autism is getting to be more understood, many many folks on the spectrum still fall through the cracks. If you want to learn more about "light up the world in blue" go to the autism speaks website.

That is great news, danni. My son has autism, with cognitive delays... Raised him all on my own since birth. Autism really hit in the early 90's bigtime. Not so much the number of cases went up drastically , it was more because of the awareness we have now that is going on. INteresting that the color is blue> Ususally it is a ribbon that has mulit colors in it shaped inside a puzzle. Or it is a ribbon that is colored red.

You're right...it's a ribbon with multicolored puzzle pieces. Light it up blue is this year's campaign and yu can see it on my avatar. I'll PM you the link and you can see what it's all about yourself.

I am incredibly in awe by your devotion and ability to raise your son on your own. So many can't. So many aren't willing or able to stretch their own neurotypical brains to understand those on the spectrum. The company I work for just opened up several apartments around the city for transitional aged individuals who are on the spectrum but also have developmental disabilities. It is so amazing watching them learn and grow.

Danni,

thank you for the links. Right my son is getting ready to graduate from H.S. He will only recieve a certifficate of completion, not a regular diploma. Then he will go to a program offered for young adults age 18-22. they call it a independant living program.

I have to move out of the county in order for him to recieve better services. Because their not any in our county after 22. I plan to move before he is 22.

I've learned to focus on what his needs are first and foremost . I have to now start looking into estabilshing conservaship over him to make certain that nothing happens to him after he is an adult. Everything is happening fast and soon. Not only that, I need to get his SSI back . He also qualifies for the adult child benifit , because I am on SSDI. Before I was on SSDI he had his own SSI .

It is hard because everything seems to be happening all at once , and I am the one that has to do this all on my own to protect his needs and best interests.

I have seen many children who have autism throughout the years. Some very severe. My son is mild to moderate . But, I always think he is high functioning, because he can talk. However, if I look at kids his own age their is a big discrepency. That is when it hits me. He is not like other 17 yr old boys. Can't do the things that others his age are doing. The cognitive delays do not help either.

Even so, I can hopefully get him into some kind of workability program, so he is not at home all day , and he can function to the best of his ability. Right now , he is going to stay with me. But, if I look into the future, when he is in his 30's 40's what is best for him then? A residential home? I just do not know. The thought of him going to one of those programs scares me. however, if that is the best thing for him then so it would it be.

I wish you the best as you find the services your son needs. In my experience, if you can find the people who concentrate on your sons gifts rather than difficulties, a job match will be there. It's one of the best parts of our jobs to see this happen and watch our folk blossom into healthy/happy adults :)

Archived