Mental Support Community

Never Ending Depression

tobeistohope

Hi Tobe,

I understand very well. I also feel alone and hopeless quite often. It is not easy bay any means. Are you seeing a therapist? If not I suggest you look into that.

If you feel alone talk to people here. Talk to me. I love to talk as it also helps me. You may also find helping others helps you.

I am so depressed. So lonely. So alone. Feel so much hopelessness over never getting over this food addiction. Just want to sleep all the time.

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. It is really hard when feeling depressed not to feel this way. Your getting over an addiction which is instself very difficult to do. you need moral support , and be around others who can understand . Not sure wht type of food addiction you are suffering from , but their are groups out there. Overeaters A. is a big one. Maybe you could find one in your area . I also think that what you described is depression too. So their are 2 really big issues that you are trying to cope with.

therapy could help you sort out how you are feeling, and talking to family or friends can help you through this difficult time. If you need antidepressant to help with you then please go see your DR.

I hope you will feel better , keep writing here and we can support you too.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here...haven't done much but sleep lately. In the town I live in OA is not available. My T and I are going to be working on it, but honestly I don't know what I can do in therapy to get over this compulsive overeating. I hope you are all doing well.

It's like any other compulsion, tobe: it has causes, it has learned patterns that can be changed, it has solutions. :-)

Can you start by changing "never-ending" to "hasn't ended yet"? The first one is a claim about the future, which no one knows.

Similarly, "I don't know what I can do in therapy to get over [it]" is something a depressed mind might tell you. But of course you don't know yet what you might be able to do after therapy: you haven't had the therapy yet.

Give your therapist the benefit of a little belief, even if you can't find any for yourself, at the moment. You can change; anyone can. Will you change? I don't know; that one's a choice. But it sounds like you want to change, so maybe now all you need is a little faith.

Hi Tobe,

You are right, depression is not something you can turn on and off. On the other hand it can often be improved through medication or therapy. Many of us here are depressed. I do. I have struggled with it for 10 years. It has improved at times and decayed due to life events. I am committed to beating it. We can't simply let it win.

I have a good therapist and am on Pristique for the depression, and have been on meds since my late teens. Sometimes the worst thing about depression is the times when it is doing better because there is always the fear of when I will lose feeling good again. But, right now I'm in the midst of the deep depression. My therapist is going to set me up with a doc he knows about 100 miles away because I'm not happy with my present one. So, if he is better, traveling 100 miles once in a while is ok with me.

Hey Tobe

I'm with Malign on this - try and give your therapist the benefit of the doubt. It may genuinely feel hopeless right now and right now I'm on the downward slide of an up so I can relate but hell there is light at the e4nd of the tunnel!

I have this saying - every morning when I wake up - I say "today I can do things differently" - that overeating compulsion sometimes just needs a tweak in its power hold to make you realise you're actually in charge!!

Hang in there tobe!

Archived