Mental Support Community

now what?

emotional

I was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I haven't told any one close to me about it. I don't know what to say because I don't know how to feel about it, or should I say I don't have an "extreme" feeling about it either way. I'm at a loss, what do I do now? :confused:

You don't have to say anything. Why not wait until you get a gut feeling about it either way? Unless somebody else in your family has mental health issues, be prepared for a lot of misunderstanding. Learn about what you've been diagnosed with, and if you find something that seems to describe your situation really well, you can always share it with those close to you if you feel they are in a position to support you.

For me when I first was diagnosed with bipolar, I had to keep close to my pdoc to find the right combo of medication that would stablize me..to this day I check in with him to see if any adjustments are needed....It sometimes takes awhile for find what works with you.. Another thing I do is to eliminate as much stress as possible..and easier said then done thing I know. But hopefully you will find what works for you...Can you go back to whoever first perscribed the meds? I know when I was started on medication I was closely monitored to see if adjustments were needed. I wish you like on this..hang in there, this can take awhile but is worth it in the end when something is found that works...bipolor or not...we are all different individuals.

I contacted my pdoc, he didn't call me back...which made me more over the top. I have a follow up next week. I've been keeping a log of my mood swings. I've been taking Xanax when I am having an episode which seems to curb it, but I rapid cycle so much in a day that I don't want to take too much "relaxing" medication in one day.

Does anyone know of alternatives to help curb the manic episodes besides more medication?

Do some strenuous exercise. Running works for me. I'm not much of a runner, I get tired easily but I try to go a few times a week. If I'm really wound up though I can go forever, especially if I have "Pink's Greatest Hits" on my iPod.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Emotional,

I'm surprised your pdoc did not call you back. Perhaps you should try again? Things can happen, messages, including voice mail, can get lost, etc. What do you think?

Allan

I'm not sure what happened to my pdoc, but I know he has a large client list so maybe he didn't get the message. I would call back but "right now" I can wait till I see him next week. With my track record, I don't want to scare him away.

Working out is a GREAT idea! I will try that next time I'm having an episode. If nothing else, it will keep me from gaining weight :)

Archived