Mental Support Community

Caution

Guest ASchwartz

Guest ASchwartz

It has been brought to my attention by someone in one of our forums that their daughter was diagnosed with something called RAD (Reactive Adjustment Disorder). What you need to know is that, although this has recently been put into the newest edition of the DSM IV, it is extremely rare. Unfortunately, some unethical psychotherapists have seized upon RAD as a way to advance their version of psychotherapy with children. Their "alternative therapy" is dangerous because it has actually resulted in death. The "psychotherapists" are now convicted and in prison.

However, this is a warning to always be very careful when seeking psychotherapy for you or a loved one. Do not just accept any diagnosis. Get a second opinion. In mental health, a diagnosis should be made either by a Psychiatrist (MD) or a Licensed Clinical Psychologist. If you have any doubt and if it involves a child, always see your Pediatrician or Primary Care Provider.

I invite everyone to discuss vital issue.

Allan

Guest GingerSnap

I do remember that "rebirthing" thing happening. That was so horrible. I think the parents just become so desperate for an answer because of all the pressure involved with not being able to get reliable help that they just open themselves and their children up to any suggestion. Everyone always wants a "name" for "it". The schools cause a lot of it. In the case of our son with Down syndrome, they wanted him "medicated" so he would stay in his seat (they tried belting him in his seat but I found the belt at the open house and it came off immediately). We took him to a psychiatrist and were told that he was not hyperactive but curious so I took that back to the school and they left me alone. The schools can put a lot of pressure on the parents. I remember when the State of Nebraska started that drop off a child - no questions asked. It was basically met for infants and they got a lot of older children dropped off and had to change the program. It turned out though that the parents had desperately tried to get help and could not and gave up. Sounds like "bad" parents, huh? If you believe that, you have not lived with a child with mental health/serious behavioral problems and not have been able to find anyone to help. You cannot imagine the feelings of hopelessness and exhaustion that this brings.

• 2 weeks later...

RAD is extremely complicated and even it's initial diagnosis deserves a second opinion. I worked with orphans in eastern Europe and can tell you how debilitating RAD can be. Even those kids who don't meet the criteria for the diagnosis but have symptoms have extreme difficulty navigating life!!

I think the rebirthing technique was possibly an offshoot of some of the "holding" techniques taken to a dangerous and lethal place. It has never been evidence based.

Allan is right. It's important to be a good consumer even in therapy. Do your research, ask for a second opinion, talk to references.

Guest GingerSnap

This is a link to a discussion on a Special Needs Parenting thread concerning RAD which I had been reading through and it shows the general confusion that comes about, the misunderstandings of such that come when someone hears about a new or, at least, new disorder to them and they are desperately seeking any answer - everyone wants a name, a diagnosis: http://www.city-data.com/forum/special-needs-children/291457-rad-severe-reactive-attachment-disorder.html As I said, you may not get a lot of solid info about RAD but it shows the desperation of the parents. I have been a desperate parent seeking answers but gave up when I realized they had none and would ultimately just post a label and medicate undesirable traits away along with the rest of the personality of my son. I'll pass and years later, we are still hanging in there.

Guest ASchwartz

JaiJai,

If you choose you can dismiss my comments about RAD. No, I had not heard of it, reason being, it was only very recently put into the DSM and is extremely, extremely rare. It's being used in bogus ways and that is why I called it a bogus diagnosis. Now, I don't know what you are referring to when you say I used a wrong term. It is called Reactive Attachment Disorder. You can go to all the web sites you want but the fact is that it's been abused, with bogus treatments that resulted in death. Those so called "therapist" are now in prison.

If you have a complaint or disagreement with me I wish you would tell me, directly.

Pseudome,

And, yes, the term is Reactive Attachment Disorder..

I don't remember where I found the info but you might try Google Scholar, Mayo Clinic web site, Medmd or and try a Google search. Also, you might try the archives of the New York Times.

JaiJai,

I openly admit to feeling annoyed about this. I did not like the sarcastic tone of your post. It was uncalled for. Remember, I'm here as a resource for people not as someone who gives misinformaton. However, if you choose to ignore me then go right ahead with RAD.

Allan

09-11-2011, 03:17 PM <- Allan, .this is the time and date of the post you incorrectly jumped on the bandwagon with RAD, with the wrong acronym. RAD is not new. RAD is in the DSM because it is an actual disorder. You are referring to a 10 year old legal case that involved "rebirthing" therapy. Yes rebirthing therapy is dangerous, and has been widely discredited due to the legal case to which you refer.

Allan,I merely pointed out the inconsistancies in your posts. How you choose to colour the "tone" with which my post were made, is really a reflection of your feelings, not mine. Please feel free to work through these feelings by continuing to post. Try reading a post through with a negative and then again with a positive tone, and notice how subjective the message may seem because of this difference.

What are your thoughts on this everyone? Has there been a time when someone mis-interpreted your written message, and took it the wrong way? Let's discuss...

That used to happen to me a lot. In a way it is good therapy to have all our interactions written out, because you can come back later in a different mood and reread stuff and see if you still get the same feeling on what happened. I try to reread everything I've written before I post, too, and sometimes I have a lot of stuff that needs fixing!!!

Out in the world talking with people we don't have this luxury, but I do think I'm more careful with what I say, having had the practice here.:)

Guest GingerSnap

Ah, but in person, you can sometimes see in the reaction of the person if they are not quite understanding what you just said. I say, "Oh, no! That's not the way I met it." This especially happens when you mix it up with people that our not a part of your general group; older people, younger people, people from different cultures, people in different types of professionals, etc. A tone that is acceptable with some is offensive to others and it always seems that you have to step a little lighter when it is a person that is older - people were more reserved in times past. I try hard not to offend people but I have my limits and that is not news to probably anyone here. It comes down to mutual respect, not making accusations toward another or judging someone's comments when based on their belief system simply because you have an issue with their belief system - this applies to all sides here. I think we all have a point where we have to draw the line. Probably no one here is not guilty of speaking before thinking on more than one occasion or making an error when trying to make a point. I try to reread my posts but I have some trouble with vision and boy, I hate those websites where you cannot edit! Sometimes a couple of hours later, it will pop into my head, something I said, and I rush in to edit where I can and where I cannot, I probably already been butchered by one of the enemy (there are websites where my opinions, well, I make more than a couple of enemies that just wait for any chance to pounce) but, I'll admit that I do the exact same with them as the issues are important and I like to win. OK, I must win! So, I think there is a lot in play. I try to be polite and understanding and we all should be but just sometimes..............:eek:

Archived