Mental Support Community

First Relationship -- Need Advice

Musicman

I'm sorry you fear not being accepted by your family because of this, MM. :( Do you think it would help to discuss your concerns openly with them now?

I don't see that as an option at this point in time. Someone on that social networking site had a quote that I find very true. It was something like, "These are already the hardest years of my life? Why would I want to come out and make things even more difficult?"

Ultimately, you have to be yourself.

I think your father will just have to come to terms with who you are. I'm an atheist as well, and I honestly think that one major factor that has kept religion in existence for centuries is fear of what happens after death. That's by no means the only reason, but it's a major reason why religious people have their beliefs.

As for the issue of same-sex attraction... well, a small but significant minority of people in this world are attracted to people of the same sex as them. It's as simple as that really.

There's no point in trying to be someone else, if it's not making you happy, or trying to be something you're not.

You'll have to tell your father, and others, that this is just what you are, and that sexual orientation is not a choice. Try reading some websites about how to deal with a homophobic parent as a gay person.