Mental Support Community

I need help with my mentally retarded brother

I have a 37 year old brother who has mental retardation. He lives in a group home with others that have similar conditions as he. He is on several medications, but i don't think they are working. He has anger outbursts and doesn't know how to control them. He also works at a workshop for mentally retarded adults and used to love it there. Now he rather just stay home and watch tv or listen to his music. Recently, he had such an outburst that his home had to admit him in a mental hospital. The facility was not the place for him because they really didn't know how to treat him. He is not a normal patient and it seemed like all they wanted to do was keep him so drugged up that he would sleep all day and couldn't function much. He was there for 3 weeks until he was released. Because of his lack of movement, his body has so deteriorated that he is always complaining of leg pains and can barely walk at times. What I am looking for is if anyone knows of a doctor who specializes in treating mentally retarded adults. My brother lives in Westchester County, NY, so anyone that is not too far would be great.

What kind of Doctor are you looking for ? Do you thing the medications your brother is currently taking making him more lethargic? Whoever placed him on the medications need to be following up on him. THe medicines should not be making him a zombie. I am sorry he had to go to a mental hospital. But, if the anger outbursts were that bad then they really did need to get him back under control.

Many developmentally disabled people have a hard time controling their emotions. That is not unusual. Maybe there are training classes that can help him learn to control his anger? I am not certain becasue of his age. But, I do know the doctor who wants him to take those meds should be the one monitering him.

I am looking for a doctor who specializes in treating mentally retarded adults, my brother is 37. The doctor that my brother has doesn't seem to be that knowledgable. His group home and the doctor don't seem to have great communication. Just last week he was suppose to have an appointment and the people at his home either forgot or didn't know. His doctor doesn't do a good job of following up and that is why we want to look elsewhere. My brother was never this bad and it's breaking my mother's heart seeing him this way. There has to be a doctor out there that has some knowledge of treating him, it's not like my brother is the only one with this situatiuon.

I am looking for a doctor who specializes in treating mentally retarded adults, my brother is 37. The doctor that my brother has doesn't seem to be that knowledgable. His group home and the doctor don't seem to have great communication. Just last week he was suppose to have an appointment and the people at his home either forgot or didn't know. His doctor doesn't do a good job of following up and that is why we want to look elsewhere. My brother was never this bad and it's breaking my mother's heart seeing him this way. There has to be a doctor out there that has some knowledge of treating him, it's not like my brother is the only one with this situatiuon.

It does sound like you need the assistance of some local professionals. It is unlikely that you will get the specific referral from here, because we are from all over the place. Is there a directory for NY that can help you? You could try talking to someone in special education in your school system for some names of helpful doctors. They would know something. Easter Seals is also an important contact.

I hope your brother gets help soon!

Guest ASchwartz

Hi jtroup03,

I would suggest that you call the American Psychological Association for your state and make inquiries there for psychologists who worked with the mentally retarded. You can also try the National Association of Social Workers in your state and see what services they can connect you with.

What do you know about the home he is in and can he be transferred to one where there are more professional staff? It just seems as though they are not very professional.

Allan:)