Mental Support Community

Mental Contamination fears

Biollante123

Hello,

I suffer from OCD and I have intense mental contamination fears. I fear that if I think something or research something, then that will interfere with my plans to get interested in another subject. I feel like I keep having to fix my thoughts and perform mental checking in order to make me sure that my interest is maintained in the subject that I want, so it leaves me feeling assured and in control. I have tried to just not engage in this kind of obsessional thinking, but now a new dilemma has appeared and I am really nervous that I really did lose interest/motivation in the subject that I wanted due to me having looked up the other topic on Wikipedia and thinking about it.

Can somebody please help me?

I have tried to just not engage in this kind of obsessional thinking

Are there any things which you don't worry about? Where is the line between things you do worry about and things you don't?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I usually just spout the first thing that comes into my head.

Maybe it might help to find a way to be in the now moments? Have you tried deep breathing, taking a walk outside, listening to music, exercising? Or perhaps some imagery might help? When the thoughts pop up in your mind, try to let them float by and focus on your breathing, or feeling the energy in your body, listening to a sound... Just some thoughts.

When you feel an intrusive thought taking hold, maybe try not to give it any more of your energy?

Wishing you a serene day.