Mental Support Community

Depression

Greg

Hi, Greg, welcome!

I'm sorry you've been suffering so much... :(  To be honest, I also sometimes think about assisted suicide and 'conclude' it should be legal. So I probably understand your point. In my case, I think if it was legal, it would also have to mean that everyone who would apply for it would first get free intensive psychotherapy for several years and then, if the person would still insist on assisted suicide, permission (+ necessary means) would be given. What do you think? (I hope you, at least, don't consider this "spamming you with BS" ;)

In any case it's not available and good therapy is very hardly accessible in many parts of the world :( . What are your experiences with therapy and / or medication?

Also, is there something that, at least sometimes, can make you feel better? Do you have someone in your life who's been supportive?

Depression can be awfully hard sometimes, but it gets better most of the times. In most cases, it's a "manageable" (and sometimes even curable!) disease. Wishing to die is a symptom. Avoiding suicide, even if it's very hard at some moments, is the only way to keep the chance to heal. Sorry for stating the obvious, but some depressive people sometimes need to be reminded of it, so I'm trying...

Good luck!!

Edited by LaLa

You never know internet people can be like that even uf there not personally.. Its a problem for me iv burned myself and it gets my heart beating really fast and iv torn my arms up jumping out of a moving car but lied to everyone said i fell it was an accident

It's hard to say im used to depression and fear all my life big drug addicts in my family and i went down the same road ill b sober and be ok but than i tear myself down till im back on drugs. I keep myself down and small and scared cause thats what abuse and hate and neglect have kind of made me even when i work out my muscles are small and baby and my privates are small and baby anything i can say to bring myself back into a small scared weak state.

7 hours ago, Greg said:

iv burned myself and it gets my heart beating really fast and iv torn my arms up jumping out of a moving car

Oh, that sounds terrible :( ... When did that happen? Are you already physically "OK"?

7 hours ago, Greg said:

I havnt tried therapy i commited a heavy crime a year or so back and my parents informed me to lie to the evaluating therapist about my childhood so i dont speak of things that get me down really at all

It's such a shame that your parents even prevented you from getting a good therapy! But although you lied to one therapist, it doesn't mean you couldn't tell the truth to other-ones. (They won't know what you've said in the past.) And as you haven't told the truth, you don't yet know how helpful it can be (in the long run). So I hope you don't judge therapy according to your past experiences ;) . I hope very much you can find someone affordable, trustworthy, and helpful soon!

I did recover fine it wasnt severe i broke alot of skin on my backside and my arms Tank top but im ok now it was last year. Its not just the therapy i feel like if i confide in someone im throwing my parents im the trash even tho theyve treated me like that im bad about giving them money even when im worried about bills im always trying to get there approval thats a problem with my lady to she always tells me fuck em there this way and that but i cant help myself. My stepdad also always treated therapy like a weakness i went to a mental hospital when i was younger and he was mad i was on medications labeling myself as depressed or crazy is a bad thing

Would your family have to know that you were seeing a therapist? If you could find/choose a therapist who knew about addiction that would help too, so you could talk about all the family behaviours around that in confidence. Just so you have an outlet to share what's causing you pain.

As far as I understand the rules, such kind of breach of confidentiality should be illegal.

Psychologists are required to report ongoing domestic violence, abuse or neglect of children, the elderly or people with disabilities. (However, if an adult discloses that he or she was abused as a child, the psychologist typically isn't bound to report that abuse, unless there are other children continuing to be abused.)

You can search for more details here:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/confidentiality.aspx

https://www.simplepractice.com/blog/therapist-break-confidentiality/

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/confid.htm

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/04/disclosing-information.aspx

Just to add to what Lala has posted, the therapist should tell you the limits of confidentiality before the therapy sessions begin according to this article, you could ask questions;

https://legalbeagle.com/6756687-therapist-code-ethics-reporting-crime.html

Just my thought, but do you think you could share what you feel comfortable with and maybe still get some support out of it? I had therapy and that was my attitude to it. 

3 minutes ago, jazz said:

do you think you could share what you feel comfortable with and maybe still get some support out of it?

I also think this is an option. Also, you would never just "go to therapy and tell "the worst things" right away". It takes time to everyone (or at least most of us) to disclose some "deep", too painful and/or too scary issues. It may often even seem impossible at the beginning. So we need some time for talking about "the other issues" (-not "the worst-ones") and as the therapeutic relationship grows and gets stronger and more comfortable, we can become prepared to make the decision to talk also about "the so far hidden issues".

Yes, therapy is a bit like peeling the layers of an onion. It takes time and trust to get to the central issues. There are so many different therapeutic approaches as well - I like the idea of therapies like arts therapy where you express how you feel creatively, symbolically, no need for names or details then. It all depends what suits you, Greg.