Mental Support Community

Anxiety because of internet insults.

Battery Pulse

I wonder Battery Pulse if you suffer from anxiety in other situations? Are you being treated for anxiety, on medication or attending therapy?

Because of my diagnosed social phobia I also am hypersensitive to critizism, I am currently attending therapy which helps.

Could this be an option for you I wonder?

Keep well

Goose

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Battery Pulse,

Two things:

1. I am a therapist and I can tell you that it takes time for it to work,

2. It is not true that you cannot do anything about it. You can "talk to yourself" by reminding yourself of what we are telling you:

These Internet people are anonymous. They do not know you. It is all a big fantasy, why?, because they do not know you.

When you get anxious, take a couple of deep breaths, relax and remind yourself of this. In fact, repeat it to yourself.

Try it and let us know how it is working.

Allan:)

Hi Battery Pulse!

I belonged to a hobby forum that was so full of vicious people! I thought it was all a kind of game, or "culture" where you might tease and insult somebody and it's all in fun, but invariably I find that those who dish it out cannot take it. They attacked me for my age one time and this really annoyed me and suddenly I couldn't take it anymore. I am somewhat older than they are, but let's face it. Most of them have their faults too. They might be 20 years old, but dang it! Most of them are obese, and at least I don't have *that* problem, sheesh!!

I wish I had been able to handle the attack with more grace but I failed to and left the community. I wish I could go back, but I know that at some point somebody would push a button and I'd fly off the handle. Who needs that???

So I don't frequent that forum anymore.

I suggest you find internet sites that have some codes of behavior?? There are a lot of sites out there.

Good luck and don't let them get you down! They don't even know you, they attack you out of cowardice and their own frustration with life. They only do it because they know they can get away with it. Leave them in the dust where they belong.

Jane

Good morning Battery Pulse,

Suppose forum members started writing in to tell others that you were like a GOD... a Saint... brilliant, exceptional, a hero to others and one to be admired by all. And we added to that by stating as fact that you were the most attractive, charming, interesting and fascintaing person on this forum and possibly even the country.

Woud you believe us?

What would you tell yourself if you heard this daily from several members?

Good morning Battery Pulse,

Suppose forum members started writing in to tell others that you were like a GOD... a Saint... brilliant, exceptional, a hero to others and one to be admired by all. And we added to that by stating as fact that you were the most attractive, charming, interesting and fascintaing person on this forum and possibly even the country.

Woud you believe us?

What would you tell yourself if you heard this daily from several members?

I guess I would believe you to some extent. I know I'm not a godly figure, but the comments would lead me to believe I hold a form of high stature or authority.

I would tell myself that I am an important member of the forum.

If it was the country, then I would tell myself I hold great importance.

Heh, if David said that about me, I'd be sure he was kidding. :-)

The point is, are you less likely to believe good things about yourself, if people say them at random?

Plus, if it's random input, the odds are most of it's negative. More people will randomly say negative things than positive. But with people who know you, most of the input is likely to be positive. So why believe the people who don't even know you, and not the ones who do?

So why believe the people who don't even know you, and not the ones who do?

You have a good point. This reminds me of that time where a lot of people (maybe 40) said I was an idiot because I got into an argument with a forum moderator. It put me into a depressed state because I take criticism very hard.

If this was a real life situation, I would probably have just stated at home depressed forever.

What I'm saying is, I know these people don't know me, but it's still pretty hard for me to take thier negative comments.

I get what you all are saying, it's just hard for me to cope with the insults dealt by people over the web.

Edited by Battery Pulse

Guest ASchwartz

Dear Battery Pulse,

There's an old joke about a man who goes to the Doctor and says, "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this (as he raises his arm)." The Doc's answer, "So, don't do this." !!!

Battery Pulse, do not go into the Internet forums where you are going to get abuse. This forum is good for you because we are here to help, but, with regard to the others, just don't go to them.

By the way, it's hard for most people to take criticism. However, over the Internet, I would not even call these things criticisms. Really, they are worth nothing.

Do you have friends and do you socialize? Are you in school and how are you doing?

Allan

I'm in high school. I don't really socialize that much, but I do have a few friends. My therapist says I'm a recluse. I wont socialize unless I have to.

I wont go back to that forum again by the way. People get flamed and harrased there much too frequently. I actually had someone on YouTube call me a no life on YouTube not too long ago. It didn't really bother me. The help I'm getting here is working. ;)

Edited by Battery Pulse

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Battery Pulse,

I am very pleased that you are getting helped here and I am also pleased that you will not return to that other forum because you realize that many people get flamed there. The Internet is a great thing but, unfortunately, it can also be used as a place where some mean spirited people try to hurt others.

As for being a "recluse," what makes it difficult for you to socialize with people?

Allan :)