Mental Support Community

It's official, I'm in therapy

AmyeH

Hi AmyeH. I've never had a full blow panick attack, but I hear they can be quite scary. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and how wonderful that your new therapist could take you so quickly and help you out. I'm sure you will learn lots about yourself in the next little while, and that is always very helpful in understanding why we do what we do.

Be well AmyeH !

Hummm, that is indeed troublesome... I'm afraid I have nothing to offer with regards to Clonazepam, but I'm sure you can find lots of information online. This does not mean it's forever A., just for now, and hopefully with the help of your therapist you can understand what is happening to creating this anxiety.... hang in there AmyeH

I can't believe that person said you should take that medication for the rest of your life after one 5 minute consultation... does not seem right to me. I wonder if he's getting a cut from the pharmaceutical company ? :( I have an uncle who developed similar symptons over a couple of months, could'nt figure out what he had, thought he was dying every time and went to the hospital a few times. They eventually determined that they were anxiety attack and also put him on medication. The change was almost miraculous and the attacks went away. He is now coming off the medication.

So let's hope that will be your case, and the therapist may be able to help you identify what is perhaps causing your anxiety...

Hi there, typically therapy and meds go hand in hand. The Clonzepam is to help you , for your anxiety attacks , and general anxiety. I take the same medication, it is a good med for what you are going through. Most peopple can feel indifferent about starting a new med . but it will help you.

Still uncertain about the med. then reseach it on the web. Cest wishes to you ,

mscat

Hi again AmyeH

Just a few quick points :

1. Regarding that pdoc (psychiatrist): my eyes are rolling down the passage. Very rarely do I contradict a pdoc - it's not helpful to dent someone's trust in their pdoc, plus the pdoc has a bigger picture than I have over the net, of other factors. That's why you can't diagnoses over the net. But given that he saw you once for such a short time, I feel I can give you my opinion. Go with your instinct, it's a good instinct. I find him downright irresponsible.

It is not possible to tell after a few minutes that someone needs to take anything for the rest of their life. So I'd take that with a pinch of salt - that is very unlikely. It is especially highly unlikely that you would take clonazepam for any long period of time.

2. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine class of drug which Americans will recognise as Klonopin. It's called Rivotril here. Very effective for anxiety. Short-term treatment, rarely prescribed long-term. Usually prescribed on an 'as-needed' basis. Very irresponsible of pdoc not to explain to you. Sorry, that's direct, but.. really. Addictive in the longterm, which is why I am so surprised by what he said. Quick-acting, so good for panic attacks and effective and not addictive if you take it less often. Sometimes you can get by with a half-dose.

3. Psychotherapy is great for learning techniques to deal with it. Meds alone not a great idea, you begin to rely on them and get addicted. Therapy is where it's at. ;)

4. I was also going to ask if you'd had a medical work-up. Good for your family doctor for checking. Rule out physical things first.

Sorry shorthand and in a hurry but just remembered I still haven't done my mood charts to see my own pdoc tomorrow. I'll be back. Sorry I'm opinionated about this.

Wow. I'm glad. :rolleyes: Well, not glad you have a virus, but you know what I mean! All along you've been saying that you don't think you have a major problem, that a few things bother you, but otherwise you think you're okay and I got the feeling from the outset that you had a good assessment of yourself.

Hope the virus proves to be one that is "nukeable!" :(

Maybe the pdoc was thinking "paranoia"? But you know what they say, "When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Have you had a stool sample taken? I'm mentioning that because it sounds a lot like what my daughter experienced when she had a shigella infection. But that is bacterial.

IMHO psychotherapy is always useful, even if "merely" for personal growth. :(

Guest ASchwartz

Hi AmyeH,

Sounds like this stomach thing is really miserable. The MD may think you have an infection. It is very common. Just try to be patient.

It must be tough to have to be indoors for so many days?

Why do you say you have paranoid thoughts or, what are some example of your paranoid thoughts?

Are they paranoid thoughts or just a lot of anxiety?

Allan:)

Amy-

Did the doc give you anything to take for the virus? To help the symptoms, perhaps? If not and if she'd be OK with it, you might consider a trip to the health shop. The reason I say this is that sometimes when allopathic (Western or medical) medicine cannot solve a medical problem, there may be others that can.

My younger daughter lives with frequent nausea, so I'm often on the lookout for things that help. In particular (and your doc may have mentioned this) the normal stomach bacteria that you find in yoghurt would probably help. I forget their names. (I've found that sometimes she just can't face yoghurt when nauseous.) There may be other things too, although I get dubious when it gets a little too 'out there'. I tried so many things when I was in my "all-natural" phase that didn't work or make any difference. (Now I'm on psychiatric drugs, my all-natural friends are SHOCKED. :( )

I have also found greenish bananas help settle her stomach. Not very green - they need to be palatable, but before they turn all-yellow.

Oh yeah, I did mean pill form, unless they sell yoghurt at your health shops? At ours they sell Pills and Powders and Potions, but no yoghurt. I meant those bacteria that you get in yoghurt that you can buy in capsules. They dry them out but they still work. Clever li'l bugs they are.

Archived