Mental Support Community

Anxiety???

Symora

I'm not feeling so well today. I have this compression felling in my upper chest and a tightening of the throat, and it feels like I'm having a harder time breathing. I've never had anxiety attack and don't know if that could be it....

I have been really stressed lately, today it was insane it was moving so fast. I'm organizing a family event supper for 350 people tomorrow and it's SOOO much work with little help. I've been working hard lately, things are stressful. So stressful that I have been very impatient and curt with people of late, even at work. I've actually had to apologize to 3 people in the last week because I have been so bitchy.

There is also the fact that I have been off Celexa for about 5 months now and I don't know if it's my mental health that is going weird again. I feel like I am in withdrawal from cigarettes I'm so agitated, but I quit those 10 months ago.

It's that pressure in the chest and neck that is bugging me ... can anyone clue me into symptoms of anxiety, and also perhaps effects of getting off medication? I think I read someone who said that after 4 months off their medication it was so bad they never want to live that again... I wonder if I may be feeling that...

Symora - I am so sorry to hear this. :)

Do you any respiratory problems? Asthma? It sounds symptomatic of anxiety to me, not AD withdrawal. Perhaps see how it is after the event? You should be better able to tell, if it still persists after all the stress is over.

Do you do a lot of events? Even if you have done these before, it can be that your body is starting to take strain from repeated stresses such as this.

I feel like finding-my-way does: I'd be totally freaked out if I ever had to do something like that!

I talked to some colleagues and they suggested that I go to the pharmacy to have my blood pressure checked out, which I did, and it's high for me - 160/85, when I'm always 130/80, so I think it's high blood pressure that is giving me the physical symptoms. My sleep has been very bad lately as well which has only increased the stress on the body I suppose....

The thing is I've been going like a bat out of hell at work since the beginning of May, with home problems with daughter and her stupid boyfriend added on, so it's catching up to me. This should be the last big stress with a tight deadline, so I'm hoping to get back to normal soon...

I don't really feel better today, but I do hope that once the event is over my body will realize that it can relax ... A supper for 350 is indeed a challenge to organize, especially since I have had to split it between two rooms on two different floor because I could not accommodate everyone in one space. What with speeches, gifts for kids, flowers, caterers, visits of the Museum afterwards, children's programs, a special exhibit everyone wants tickets for, and people calling as late as today to participate, it's been a hell of a couple of weeks!

Thanks for your input and support everyone. I'll let you know how it goes !

Well, the event is over ! :( I am happy to report that the constriction in my chest and neck are gone and I am feeling much less jittery today. There were a few glitches, as can be expected, and all of them were problems with the caterer. People had a great time with their kids, family and friends and we are getting good feedback. I'm tired, but happy that we could do that for staff.

I have found it amazing to see the direct effects of stress on the body in the last week. When it has had enough, it has had enough and it lets you know boy. Now I plan to take it easy for a few days, and hopefully I will start sleeping normally again soon....:o

Archived