Mental Support Community

Blue dot reputation

Calla

I have some reputation with green dots and then one with a blue dot. Does that mean someone took some away? My paranoia strikes again but what I said was supportive at least it was meant to be. People have been a bit hurtful lately on this site and I wonder if it's another petty attack.

I don't think being here is helping me too much :(

If the dot looks gray, Calla, this means that someone approved your post, but the person is a new poster themselves so it didn't actually bump up your reputation points any. At any rate, this is a positive post approval. I get these too. Negatives show as red.

Sorry for hijacking!

IrmaJean, does this mean that if the person reps you when they have few posts and you recieve a grey dot, when they gain enough posts for an official rep, does the grey dot change to an official rep or at that point would the person have to re-rep in order for any additional points to be added?

I actually think (though I am not certain) it's based on the poster who approves rep points. When a poster's rep goes up to a certain number (not sure what number :confused:) and they approve someone's post that person's rep will go up a point. It will show up as green, yes. If someone has a high rep and approves a post, that person's rep will go up 2 points.

I actually think it's based on the poster who approves rep points. When a poster's rep goes up to a certain number (not sure what number :confused:) and they approve someone's post that person's rep will go up a point. It will show up as green, yes. If someone has a high rep and approves a post, that person's rep will go up 2 points.

I see, thank you :(.

Wow this is confusing. I never even noticed that the dots are in different colors. Does the system rate you automatically or do the friends on here do it manually? Sorry for the ignorance but I love learning how things work.

Just noticed I am have a green dot. Does that mean a newcomer? (edited)

Okay. I think I have confused myself as well. :confused: I went back to the rules, since I was a little unsure too and found this.

"Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation."

So the gray box is considered neutral (though more than likely has been post approval) and I'm not sure exactly what criteria must be met in order to give rep points. I imagine it is tied to that person's rep or post count. It's in FAQ, if anyone wants to know more about it. My apologies for the confusion.

... does this mean that if the person reps you when they have few posts and you recieve a grey dot, when they gain enough posts for an official rep, does the grey dot change to an official rep or at that point would the person have to re-rep in order for any additional points to be added?

I think what Guy Out There is asking is if you get a rep from a newbie and that newbie then gets to the point of being able to give positive reps, will your rep point from that person turns into a positive instead of a neutral? Have I understood you Guy Out There?

I don't think we know the answer to that, unfortunately, At least I don't.

Yes Luna that was my question, but from my experience with other forums (and from a technical point of view) a neutral reputation is not automatically changed to a positive reputation.

In other words if a newbie gives you a rep then you'll get a grey dot and that will stay there unless the newbie later when having the ability to positive rep changes it.

Ah, the joys of the various indicators this site can display ... :-)

The original "dots" that Calla posted about appear on a person's "User CP", which can be reached from the lowest menu, above. On the left end of each line of the "Latest Reputation Received", there is a little square, which can be green, red, or a color variously described as blue or gray. Green is positive reputation received from an established member, red is negative reputation from same.

The neutral color is reputation received from a member "new enough" {whose own reputation is less than 10, I'm guessing} to be considered neutral. So, to answer Calla's original question, her neutral colored dot is likely to be positive feedback from a new member. I don't believe that reputation points ever get added later, based on promotion of the person who gave them, but the points themselves don't matter that much, anyway.

There appears to be some confusion of this subject of reputation sources with the large round "dot" that appears next to each member's name on their posts. This indicator shows whether a person is online and visible (green), or when they're either offline or invisible to others (neutral color). In the special case where you are logged on in the invisible mode, your indicator shows red, so that you remember that you are in invisible mode. {That question arose elsewhere.}

The only way to determine whether a person is brand-new is that their reputation number is equal to 5.

Thank you Malign for explaining things. I'm no longer confused as to the coloured dots though I have to admit my general confusion about life in general continues.:D

I had never noticed that User CP thingy up there until you pointed it out (I have this strange fear of clicking on links online so I seldom get to know all the...what's the term I want??....whistles and bobs? no....er...bobs and bows??.....whatever:confused:...in plain English...all the extra thingymajigs that sites have).

I found a lovely remark left me by Symora, and one from Luna, which I would probably never have seen if not for your explanation. :(

I'm glad it helped, M.

The way I see it, software is here for exploring. What's the worst that can happen?

The answers you find might apply to life in general, as well. :-)

Well, that's what we're here for. Lay some of them out for us, and we'll help you counter them.

My imagination tends to be rather vivid and unruly, as well, but I do my very best to challenge those things that it creates that I consider threats. I don't take very well to being threatened. :-)

I don't even have any dots or colors when I go to my userpc or anywhere near my reputation points, so I am not even following anything you guys are talking about. :confused: :) are there any instructions anywhere regarding this besides the Q&A?

Hi, if you click on your UseCP you should see on the main page underneith your subscribed threads "Latest Reputation Received", if there are no dots or other text/boxes etc underneith look to the right of the green box for a small double arrow (blue). Click it and see if you can see your reputation now.

~Jack.

Yes that's what I see. So it sounds about right. From what I (now) gather...the green dots are reputation you have received from more senior members and the gray (blue on my computer!) are from new members. And they show on which thread the reputation was given. Any red is bad reputation, which I am sure you don't have!!!

I find the whole idea a little strange on a forum where a lot of us have self esteem issues!! But then I was never one for popularity contests! :)

Oh as for the green dots next to name that mean someone is online and visible to all. Your's now saying gray to me which may mean either you are offline or invisible except to moderators. If you have a red dot next to your own name that means you are invisible. I think!

So basically green =online visible to all

Gray=offline or invisible

Red (next to your own)=invisible mode

Does that make any sense?

Archived