Mental Support Community

Acceptance

goose

I've come to understand that the pursuit of happiness can become a chore. While I'm searching life is passing me by. I have decided to accept what I cannot change (some very specific things in my life). But I can change how I think about them, I may not like it but accepting it could be the answer. I need to live the life I have now, instead of worrying all the time. I want to investigate meditation and mindfullness to help me along the way.

Goose

Acceptance would bring peace I am sure. I am guessing you have heard the famous quote....."Dear Lord(or whatever you believe in) please grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

Goose what you said is wonderful!

I've come to understand that the pursuit of happiness can become a chore. While I'm searching life is passing me by. I have decided to accept what I cannot change (some very specific things in my life). But I can change how I think about them, I may not like it but accepting it could be the answer. I need to live the life I have now, instead of worrying all the time. I want to investigate meditation and mindfullness to help me along the way.

I am so happy for you. You seem to have been able to take a step back from your problems and assess what needs to be done. I wish you all the luck in the world in achieving that.

Everything you wrote about applies to me. I wish and hope that one day I will be able to take a step back from my problems as you have because I am doing exactly what you said you were doing wrong. Wish me luck too!

Danni can you please post the link here too? I'm not sure I understand what 'mindfulness' is but I would like to check it out as I need all the help I can get.

Take care.;)

Thank you Danni. I have saved the link to look at later.

Goose I wanted to tell you that I love your words so much I have copied them and will print them out to hang up next to my desk. I hope that if I see them there before me every day it will help me make the change in my thinking that you seem to have begun already. Thank you. :(

Guest ASchwartz

Hi John and All,

There was an article in this Sunday's New York Times about possessions and if they make us happy or not. The finding was that "things" do not make us happy.

What makes us happy? In my opinion, it comes from two places: Within ourselves and, in Relationship to others.

It is also important to point out that happiness does not continue unabated. During the course of a day, week, month, our emotions ebb and flow.

Your thoughts?

Allan:)

Archived