Mental Support Community

Books Worth Reading

Guest ASchwartz

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Everyone,

I have another book I want to recommend for your enjoyment. It will also help you stop and think in a good way. It is not a mystery book like my previoius recommendation and it is not a novel and it is not a "self help" book.

Here it is:

Title: The Geography of Bliss

Author: Eric Weiner

subtitle: One grumps search for the happiest places in the world.

Weiner is a journalist for National Public Radio.

His book is both funny, enjoyable, poignant and thoughtful. He describes his real life journey in search of happiness in a variety of nations around the world. You will laugh, think and feel sad, as you read and, no doubt, you will have fun and you definitely think about happiness, what it is and what it is not.

Allan:)

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Catmom,

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It both funny and serious and meaningful.

If others missed my post, the book is called The Geography of Bliss

Enjoy,

Allan

• 7 months later...

Hmmmm sometimes I get too bogged down with all these self-help serious books when I'm depressed (beside the fact that due to concentration problems I re read the first sentence umpteen times!) - sometimes it pays just to read a lighthearted book that requires little concentration. When I'm manic - I'm too amped to read so I find very little time on the whole. :D

Meds,

Hmmmm sometimes I get too bogged down with all these self-help serious books when I'm depressed (beside the fact that due to concentration problems I re read the first sentence umpteen times!)
Same here.

I too have problems with concentration and haven't been able to read more than a few pages of a novel (or anything) for months. I am sad about that because reading books was once my joy, my only friend and my only companion. When we first came to SA English books were scarce so I would read anything and everything I could lay my hands on. A friend I knew from school back in England would send me a few pages from a novel she knew I wanted to read, in a letter every month or so (she couldn't afford to send the whole book to me at once). Remembering how eagerly I waited for those few pages to arrive and comparing then to now saddens me even more.

A book I recommend to everyone is 'The Mother Tongue' which is about the origins of the english language, and is not only informative but very funny. It's by Bill Bryson and I've read a few of his books and loved all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here are some quotations from that book (and possibly others) in English:

http://barque.blogspot.com/2007/07/dark-nights-of-soul-excerpt-in-eight.html

And you also can find there this:

"What I'm trying to do is say lighten up and let life flow through you, and be on the waves as they go up and down. For me, a great image in mythology is Tristan of Tristan and Isolde. He's out there on a little boat without an oar, without a rudder, on the Irish sea . . . You float your way. You drift. The essence of my approach is to be extravagantly accepting and forgiving of yourself and others. Ride the waves and let life take you where it has good things for you." - Thomas Moore

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

There is a great book on eating disorders that is the true story of one woman's struggle with anorexia. Its called Life Without Ed. The auther and writer is Jenni Schaeffer. I higly recommend it.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought this book a week ago, I'm still reading and I'm so fascinated by it, it brings so many insights that I need to read it again... I don't read it from the beginning, I take the chapters with regard to the priority of my problems and with regard to my needs. All the week, I'm so filled by many thoughts that the author inspires in me...

Maybe some comments:

Don't imagine the "Life's Ordeals" in the title only as some very tragic experiences. Yes, the book includes many of them, but... not only. For instance, if you have problems in marriage, if you're "in a triangle" suffering by an "impossible" love/crush, you also can find here the way how to profit from your suffering. If you have problems with your anger, if you're unable to express it or are angry at yourself that you're so angry, then you can learn here about the positive role of anger in our lives. And so on.

The author is a believer/Christian and I'm an atheist and I used to have some prejudices about "religious" authors and their ability to tell something "useful" to us, atheists. But Victor E. Frankl has strongly broken this prejudice and Thomas Moore (also a therapist) is another example of this kind of author. This book sounds much more spiritual than Frankl's (at least to me), but I feel, thanks to my therapy, very open to this approach and I can appreciate his insights and "abstract" images as they are close to me, they evoke what's already initiated in me by therapy...

"Easy, or difficult" is a choice too :)

For the record I don't believe to have suggested anything about easyness or difficulty, making a choice. A choice is simply a choice. Denial is simply denial. The point I suggest is it doesn't have to be complicated.

Us humans seem to have a perchance for creating difficulty, whereas animals seem to be mostly missing out on this kind of 'trip.'

Guest ASchwartz

Sissagwaad,

A choice is simply a choice. Denial is simply denial. The point I suggest is it doesn't have to be complicated......

"Easy, or difficult" is a choice too

Choice is extremely complicated.

Easy or difficult is never a choice.

Don't you understand that your message runs the risk of making people feel guilty if they have difficulty with making choices and if they find it difficult? You seem to believe that life is a straight line from one point to the next. Depressed? Choose not to be! And if a person cannot give up being depressed for fear that, if they did, they could feel worse?

Allan

Archived