Mental Support Community

Internet Addiction???

If someone had told me about internet addiction before, I would have laughed... But I'm not laughing nowXD I think it's my way to escape from reality a bit, but lately I just can't stop myself from being online... and it's particularly bad because I'M AT WORK>< If I'm not on this site all day, I'm on some other one, reading articles, shopping, researching things... I CAN'T STOP. The workday gets over and I've hardly gotten anything done:( I have my own office, so it's usually pretty easy to cover up for what I'm doing and the fact that I haven't gotten any work done, but every time someone comes in I feel really guilty and so I'm holing up in my office and withdrawing from interacting with my coworkers:( I've considered trying to disconnect my internet, but I have to use our online database for my work>< HELP! Anyone else have experience with this??

It's also known as procrastination. :rolleyes: First off, good for you for trying to be productive. I'm being completely sincere here and there is absolutely no sarcasm.

Second, you need to 'line your ducks up' by taking inventory of what tasks are screaming in your face that must be done. Take a piece of paper and write out a list. After the list is complete, begin with the first item and determine the very next physical, visible thing that must be done to start work on that item. Make second list and write down your answer on another sheet of paper. Repeat this for each item on the list until you are done.

Pull up your favorite calendar program on your computer. Starting from today, begin inserting the meetings and events that cannot be changed. This includes appointments and meetings. Second, insert meal times and breaks. Now, in 1hr blocks, allocate time for items on the first list. Plan out the rest of the week with the same procedure.

If you can plan out blocks of time to wander on your computer, you can use those blocks as rewards for working your heart out in the other blocks. The calendar is just a planning tool so don't see it as rigid. If an item on the list is eating more time than you expected, block out more time as needed and shift the blocks belonging to other items to other dates. The point is to get an idea of where you stand. Sometimes being able to visualise time and where you are investing it can give you comfort. You will have a better idea of where you stand.

In your case, making sure you begin to reign in the surfing in set times is a good start.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Now I'm allowed to reply to threads, too. This thread is one of those reasons why I registered here on this board.

I'm also addicted to the internet. When I'm not at work, I sit at my desk and surf the net, chat and such. Although I know I do lag behind with many tasks to be completed and I have bad feelings about it, still I can hardly log off from the net.

The other day I even almost was late for my workplace due to surfing the net before leaving home. :)

I know I am addicted, I am bad at managing time and I do procrastinate, I have goals (dreams?) but I do not do much to try to achieve them...

What could be the good way out of this situation?

Hi:)

Yeah, I also usually spend most of my time not at work online, surfing the net, checking out Facebook, online "window shopping" and playing Final Fantasy XI (but that's a whole other addicting thing, so I won't even go thereXD lol). It's a lot of what gives me pleasure, because my life is otherwise pretty boring:P My main problem with it came when I started surfing around at work a lot... (I'm at work right now><) Sometimes its fun things, like looking up FFXI gear, or working on a web site, or uploading pics of my daughter to facebook, but other times, I look up things I'm worried about (how I found this site:P) and then I obsess over it until I feel like I've found a "solution" to my problem... I can spend HOURS straight online, forgetting to eat, forgetting where I am... and then like the whole day is gone and I haven't accomplished anything I was supposed to do:P I tried making to-do lists and setting priorities (thank you for the advice), but once I go online, my plans go right out the windowXD lol The only thing I've found that helps is to make a conscious effort to NOT go online for a couple of days. Just like I have found with other addicting sort of things (like sugar:P lol) if I don't have it for a few days I stop thinking about it and I'm fine, but once I have a taste of it, I crave it and its all I want to do:P I made an effort to not check this site (or any others for that matter:P) for the last few days, and yesterday I actually had a very productive day at work:D For some reason I came back today though, just to check if there was anything new going on. But I'm going to stop myself here, because I know if I start reading other threads I'm going to get sucked back in:P So, gonna go back to my "non-web-surfing" time now, before it gets out of hand again:P Try keeping away from the net for a few days, if you can, and see if maybe you stop missing it so much and find some other things you like to do:) I don't even want to think about how much of my life I have missed out on by being glued to my computer... lol Good luck:)

I know exactly how you feel...I am doing it right now! I have a pile of work to do, but have no motivation to do it...this forum, facebook, looking up random trivia all seem so much more important...I also do it at home, ignoring the housework, only doing the bare minimum so I can go on the net! Great suggestion though Kaudio, will give that a try and see how it works.

• 3 months later...

I spent alot of time on the internet myself. First it was facebook, then it grew to other addictions like other sites, then it was youtube and now its back to facebook.

I go to school online so its really easy to get hooked especially when i stop what im doing and go check my emails or messages. I get easily distracted and it takes me forever to get my work done especially when it can get done all in one day.

I use the internet to block out the world and what im feeling. I have a play list on youtube because i want the music to block out my thoughts.

This has been a problem for several years. I honestly think its one addiction i cant get rid of. I am having a hard time with that. Just wanted to let you know you arent alone :o

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Everyone,

Well, Internet addiction is one of those things that has positive qualities and negative qualities. Going to this site is good, searching for information, Facebook, etc, it seems to me are all good. The problem is that Too Much of a good thing is not so good. In my opinion, its OK to use the Internet a lot as long as you make sure you get outside, interact with people, go to work, go to school, and not use it as a substitute for living.

Opinions??

Allan

My Opinion Allan;

In regards to my Own Situation; You are Correct. I have been using it as a Substitute for Living, Personal Contact & Interacting.

Definitley something I need to work on. For now it is an Escape, Place to Vent & still feel Real & Connected. Just Like to Much TV or any other form of escape; To Much is not a good thing.

Balance, Balance, Balance!!!

I have also had issues with using the Internet at work, and I venture to say that it is rampant problem for people who work at a desk .... For me it has to do with being bored at work. When I have an interesting project I don't crave the internet so much, but if I'm bored or I don't really want to do the upcoming project, then I procrastinate and the internet is wonderful for that :cool:

I remember when the Internet first became available in the workplace, somewhere around 1995. At the time only a few people had the privilege of having access to it, and there was concern about the workforce become less productive if they had open and free access to it, and that was before the whole wide world became available on it ! So here we are now in a world where being connected to others through the internet is becoming part of our identity, like a parallel world, the opposite side of the hourglass.... I have found great solace and frienship through the net, it has truly helped me, but I am very conscious that sometimes I still need to disconnect in order to be able to function properly in the old world which is still considered mainstream.... I think :)

Anyway, my phylosophising for the evening. Please know that many people are struggling with that right now. I see it especially with the youth around 20 years old. My niece needs to be plugged in all the time through her phone... she has absolutely no time for reflection or thinking deeply, and unfortunately it is having an effect on her life. The world is moving quickly, our social fabric is changing quickly, I think it's normal that we need to reevaluate once in awhile where we want to put our time in order to have the life we want... Choices, those darn choices....

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking about this Thread again. I still need to balance my life; especially to things related to internet that are irrelevant or have negative impact on my Life or who I know I truly am.

Any type of Addiction is a matter of Control & Awarness; for me at least. Still working on a few things myself.

Jim,

How's that pact working with your son? BTW, I did end up connecting with some real people after I said I would. Spoke to my best friend tonight. Getting together with a lady who I just have so much in common with and we've been meaning to get together but neither of us had gotten around to organizing it. We always have such great conversations. I promised myself that for every hour I spend here, I will connect with somebody in person, do something that moves me forward, etc. I haven't exactly lived up to that, but I changed my signature to remind myself. I guess I'll sleep on it and figure out my next step towards real live connection. Not to mention that the last topic of conversation on Friday with my therapist was "a lifetime of isolation and loneliness". I honestly didn't have much to say on the topic, but after thinking about it all weekend, I wonder if a 45 minute session is going to be enough.

For anyone contemplating leaving this world due to loneliness, a new thought keeps going through my head that might give you pause: "Hell is killing yourself then finding out there's an afterlife and you get to watch your funeral and find out that nobody showed up except family, who are merely doing their duty. Then you get to relive that thought for eternity". OK, I think I'll stick around and try to lick this problem and get out of the temporary hell I've created for myself. First off, go get a life, and that means disconnecting from here periodically and "connecting" to the flesh and blood world.

Sorry about the morbid thoughts.

The Pact with my Son & I is an ongoing Process in Progress. So there remains Hope.

As far as anything Morbid. No just what can be & the Alternative. I think from the sound of it & your post you are making Personal Progress.

And I need to continue on the Same Path & Get A Life Myself. Starting with also connecting more to flesh & blood & getting A Job.

Isolation continues to be a daily obsticle & Downfall. Along with Finances.

Today I did something unique. I took all the new mentalhelp posts that I've somehow directed into my e-mail, and put them into their own folder and IGNORED them until I got a few important tasks accomplished. Among other things, I sent off a couple more e-mails to friends to try to reconnect. Also looked up the local matchmaking service. $1500 for a lifetime guarantee. "What's that?" you ask. They find you a match and it's for life. So a client of theirs just divorced after a 17 year relationship and is back at the service for no charge! I guess it works if the company's still in business:eek: Anyway, I found a place on the site where people pay $10,000 for extra services and part of that is putting an ad on the site. Quite a few ladies ponied up the $10 grand too. Well that's way too rich for me! Thinking about responding to the guys who just put up their $10k. For respondents, it's free. Am I missing something here? Now I'm worried, maybe the ad posters have more money than brains. But the posters call themselves intelligent. Hmmmm. Have to sleep on that :(.

Hey, I'm not saying I'd pay that either - after all, I have a Scottish, engineering background - neither is willing to part with their $$$. The point is, to REPLY to the ad is free, and anybody willing to part with the $10k sounds a bit INSANE - therefore we might just have something in common:eek:!

I've just decided I'm not that lonely, either. :)

What I've found useful is to make a list of tasks that have to be done. Then, each day I have do to a certain number of them before I can get online. That helps me keep in touch with the f2f world.

Luna,

That would be the intelligent way to go about it, especially if you can commit to doing the tasks first. I'm great at making task lists. Unfortunately I'm too compulsive to stick to them. Also, I get sidetracked WAY too easily. I need witnesses and deadlines attached to the tasks, or I have to convince myself that the pain of not doing them is no longer tolerable.

Archived