Mental Support Community

Physical or mental? need some advice.....

SL1001

I am writing here because I am not certain if my problem is mental or physical.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give some advice.

I have digestive problem since high school. Sometimes I get diarrhoea and indigestion, especially when I feel nervous (though I am not certain if nervous cause diarrhoea or vice versa). I was still quite fit at that time, yet after getting into university and worked as a professional, my weight dropped by almost one-third (with improvement in between though, thus not uni-directional). I have visited many doctors and they all said I am just having irritable bowel. As I saw my weight continued to drop, after working for 2.5 years, I quitted my job to try and find a permanent solution.

I am not certain if this was caused by stress, or inability to handle some difficulties in life (I guess I am a introvert most of the time). On the other hand, I was diagnosed as having Helicobacter Pylori (which can cause stomach inflammation or even ulcer). After taking anti-biotics, I have no more diarrhoea and much less indigestion (though I am still physically weak due to light weight).

Now I am on the course of recovering physical strength. Although I have always believed my problem to be physical and my mental weakness was only a side-effect (even before discovering H.Pylori), I found that I may indeed have some psychological issue recently, to name a few:

1. fear of appointment: no matter dating friends or dentist, I always fear of not being able to make it, perhaps due to a possible diarrhoea

2. being shy/ don't want to attract attention or be placed under spotlight

Would anyone be able to give any advice? Should I seek professional help? Thanks a lot.

I have had & still do deal with the same Issues as yourself. Since I was a Teenager. I am now 52yrs. Old.

The Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) along with the Mental Issues that go along with that can be & many times is Genetic. I had a Duedenal Ulser when I was Very Young.

I have not heard of Helicobactor Pylori myself, is that some type of Bacterial Condition?

Anyway a few years back I suffered for over a Month & 1/2 from constant Sickness, Diarrhea, & Bleeding. It was recommended I get a Colonostopy; I still have'nt. $$$, Worry & Scared quite Honestly. I had to Change my Diet & took Tagament for a bit. It Helped get me back on Track.

However Now Again I am Dealing with same issues & have to be very careful. I will say "Stress" is thee Major Factor to much if not all of it. But I believe Stress & how we deal with it is a Major Factor in Most if Not All our Problems & Issues.

I also Believe that our Mental & Physical makeup is Tied Together in So Many Ways. One Affects the Other for Sure.

So I would say from my Own Experience if you are Able; Contact a Professional for sure about your Mental Issues & maybe they can also help you Overcome some of the Mental Issues you Stated (And I recognise & can Relate) which in turn can help ease the Physical Side affects to all of this.

I hope this helps in any way ease your Concerns & helps guide you in a Healthy Direction.

The Best To You.

I am writing here because I am not certain if my problem is mental or physical.

I would appreciate it if anyone could give some advice.

I have digestive problem since high school. Sometimes I get diarrhoea and indigestion, especially when I feel nervous (though I am not certain if nervous cause diarrhoea or vice versa). I was still quite fit at that time, yet after getting into university and worked as a professional, my weight dropped by almost one-third (with improvement in between though, thus not uni-directional). I have visited many doctors and they all said I am just having irritable bowel. As I saw my weight continued to drop, after working for 2.5 years, I quitted my job to try and find a permanent solution.

I am not certain if this was caused by stress, or inability to handle some difficulties in life (I guess I am a introvert most of the time). On the other hand, I was diagnosed as having Helicobacter Pylori (which can cause stomach inflammation or even ulcer). After taking anti-biotics, I have no more diarrhoea and much less indigestion (though I am still physically weak due to light weight).

Now I am on the course of recovering physical strength. Although I have always believed my problem to be physical and my mental weakness was only a side-effect (even before discovering H.Pylori), I found that I may indeed have some psychological issue recently, to name a few:

1. fear of appointment: no matter dating friends or dentist, I always fear of not being able to make it, perhaps due to a possible diarrhoea

2. being shy/ don't want to attract attention or be placed under spotlight

Would anyone be able to give any advice? Should I seek professional help? Thanks a lot.

Perhaps your physical ailments have affected you emotionally. It is extremely difficult to deal with all the physical stuff, I understand this . I have had to deal with that personally. It is up to you to decide if you need extra support dealing with your difficulties. I am glad that your starting to feel better physically.

Thanks for all your encouragement. I suppose I don't feel particularly stressful about my physical condition. It's just that sometimes I worry a bit whenever some physical symptoms emerge at unexpected times such as diarrhoea (though not serious). This makes me fear of having appointments or dates, especially with friends (because I would feel if I failed to show up it would be a waste of their time, or if I force myself to show up when I got sick I would really feel bad).

What make things worse is that I believe this "fear" would cause physical symptoms as well.

So what I tried to do was to avoid making any firm commitment (to a lot of things....because I just fear I can't fulfill it.....even after making such commitment I would be tempted to withdraw). I know this is a big problem because it just caused me to have less and less social connection.

The only exception is family gathering, probably because I know they would gather anyway even if I don't show up. This makes me question myself if this is a pure psychological issue because gathering with friends or relatives

makes no difference physically (except the fact that the gathering would take place in different venues and have different types of food).

Would it be just the difference that I am more familiar with my relatives than friends so I would have more confidence to show up and feel less guilty for not failing to show up? This makes me really puzzled.....

It does make sense that you would be more inclined to go to family gatherings then out with friends. Their's a comfort level you have with family then possibly feeling judged by friends.

I understand why you would not want to make any firm commitments , then not able to follow through with them. Do what makes you feel the best and most comfortable. Seek out counseling to sort out this stuff that are confusing or bothering you.

Archived