Mental Support Community

doubts - should I quit?

Hi,

well, have this dilemma. Thought to share it with you. I've been struggling with depression (hard to wake up and go to work, irritable with everyone, have no energy, don't want to have friends, find that being with others requires me to put on a "happy mask" which my lack of energy doesn't permit anymore....).

I have support from a weekly ptherapy, put that's it. I mean I can't take care of myself, don't feel good in my isolation with the rest of the world, the only genuine, caring and supportive human contact is for 40 min a week, from a purchase of therapeutic treatment in order to keep my faith that I'm doing something to actually improve my situation, but it has been going on for 6 years.... and I'm still struggling. What's the point? I'm really fed up from clinging to things that aren't there for me, having to pay a therapist to keep my hopes alive, to keep myself feeling alive and not a walking carpet.. Maybe I should give up my expectations that I will eventually get better and quit therapy (I have economical issues), and just ACCEPT my situation.

I'm only afraid that this will put me down real bad (you know,.... hope is all I have left).

Really don't know what to do.:D

Hi, getting there. I'm sorry you are feeling sad. :D Can you feel any positive movement at all with your therapy? Have you ever felt any? I would recommend bringing up your concerns with your therapist. Maybe the two of you can work together to find a means of improving your situation. I do hope you will keep trying. Best of luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.

Maybe you could talk more with your pdoc about doing something proactive to change your situation? Even just trying something different might give you some sense of control in this. Hope can be a beautiful thing and it's good that pdoc holds that space for you, but you also need to work together to enable yourself to move toward it. What do you think?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Getting there,

When you say pdoc, do you mean your psychiatrist or your psychotherapist. Remember, the psychiatrist gives medication.

It might be that you would do better with a therapist who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy because it is much more focused, specific, goal oriented and helps people see real changes. CBT has been found to work better with depression. Also, are you on medication for depression?

Allan

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Getting There,

The fact that medication once helped you is a very good sign. You did what many people do, which is to stop the medication, feel OK for several months and then fall back into depression. In my opinion, seeing your pdoc and going back on meds sounds like a good idea. Psychotherapy also. What about this?

Allan

I once read some advice on chronic pain, "Stop doing what's not working". Perhaps it applies here. Would you consider changing therapists or type of therapy? Perhaps some key ingredients are missing. But first, I'd want a synopsis from the current therapist where exactly he/she thinks you are presently at, and some suggestions on how to speed up the process and see if it sounds reasonable.

Archived