Mental Support Community

Talking to yourself - Illness or Therapy ?

lagrima

Well my mum always said that talking to yourself was the first sign of madness.

But then my mum wouldnt of known wood from the trees :)

Personally I think that everybody talks to themself - either in their head or out loud.

Surely talking to yourself is just voiceing your thoughts.

take care :)

sometimes i have real difficulty trying to understand fully what someone has just either said or written - im having one of those times today. Yet reading your last post, somehow makes perfect sense to me, straight off. thankyou ;)

i hope that your day is kind to you B)

take care

When I talk to myself (and I do this frequently) I do it to process my thoughts and feelings. It helps me to clearly know what I need to do. So I don't think it's any of those things for me. It's simply me voicing an inner thought out loud. I actually do it at work (in public) more than anyplace else...

Why didn't they do this last night? I need to do this and that...What else needs to be done? Things of that effect.

I'm always accused of "having money in the bank." It's one of those sayings that makes absolutely no sense to me. :confused:

Don't you think, Lagrima, that this can be a fairly benign and common occurrence for most everyone?

Well Lagrima I always talk to myself and I love to answer myself [not out loud]

because I then know I'm always right. It's like getting pissed off you talk yourself into knowing it's the other persons fault [who ever pissed you off] !!!

Kinda sounds stupid I know but hey can't argue with myself and lose HUH

Not when you see a nice fellow hurling filthiest of abuse towards

some invisible person . May be he was trying to escape notice but

he couldn't care less .

Nor does he notice your stunned curiosity ; He just had to do it .

Yes, all situations are different, this is true.

Does any of this in some way apply to you, lagrima? I understand and respect if you are uncomfortable with sharing. I'm trying and wanting to understand better.

Not when you see a nice fellow hurling filthiest of abuse towards

some invisible person .

Are we maybe talking about two different things here? In the case quoted above, it sounds like there may be active hallucinations going on when you refer to some invisible person.

Talking to yourself, working things out with your own brain is, in my opinion completely different. I think talking to yourself is less likely to be in public as there is self awareness that goes along with it.

This is an intriguing book, title, which caught my eye many long years ago. It is an excellent read and review of realizing the conversation we're having with ourselves, even though we may be oblivious to doing it, in our incessant need to 'make sense,' judgementally, of what's going on, what's it mean to ourselves, and where we fit in........i highly recommend asking for it at ones library.....hugs and love bw

here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/What-Say-When-Talk-Yourself/dp/0671708821

(9780671708825 ...What to Say When you Talk To Yourself, +, Who Are You Really, and What Do You Want? +, The Gift: The 12 Greatest Tools of Personal Growth --

You don't have to be crazy to talk to yourself! We all talk to ourselves all of the time, usually without realising it. And most of what we tell ourselves is negative, counterproductive and damaging, preventing us from enjoying a fulfilled and successful life. Shad Helmsetter's simple but profound techniques, based on an understanding of the processes of the human brain, have enabled thousands of people to get back in control of their lives. By learning how to talk to yourself in new ways, you will notice a dramatic improvement in all areas of your life. You will feel better and accomplish more. It will help you achieve more at work and at home, lose weight, overcome fears, stop smoking and become more confident. And it works. Shad Helmsetter, Ph.D, is a bestselling author of many personal growth books, and the leading authority in the field of Self-Talk.

A therapist writes: This book teaches us that we literally become what we think and tell ourselves. Other books have touched on this concept in the past, but this book teaches us quick and easy methods to stop unwanted thinking/behaviour patterns -"

Another customer writes: "Of all the self-help books I've read, this one is the best!"

Archived