Lift weights

Do yoga tai chi or Pilates

Stretch your muscles

Go for a long walk in a park or someplace else that’s peaceful

Go outside and watch the clouds

Go for a jog

Ride your bike

Go for a swim

Go play something that you can do by yourself while no one else is around, like basketball or hitting a tennis ball against a wall

Get outside of the house, even if you just sit outside

Get a massage

Visit your favorite websites

Watch a funny movie

Watch television

Listen to music

Create your own online blog

Go shopping

Go to a library

Go to the bookstore and read

Visit a museum or art gallery

Sing or learn how to sing

Write a song

Play a musical instrument or learn how to play one

Take photographs

Join a club

Make a list of ten things that you are good at

Make a list of people you admire and want to be like

Write a letter to someone who has made your life better and tell them why

Write in your journal about what has happened to you today

Write a loving letter to yourself when you’re feeling good and keep it with

you to read when you’re feeling upset

Write a letter to a friend or family member

Take a bubble bath or shower

Plant a garden

Work outside

Paint your nails

Draw a picture

Go for a drive in your car

Plan a trip to a place you have never been before

Sleep or take a nap

Cook your favorite dish

Go outside and play with your pet

Talk with a friend on the phone

Visit a friend

Take the dog out for a walk ... If you don't have a dog, borrow one :o

Pick Roses

Turn on Music

Visit Someone Elderly

Read a book to a bunch of preschoolers

Go to the Library

Go on the Computor... Wait.. I always do that, LOL

Shoot photography

Use your video camera or mini cam.

Take a nap

Read

• 2 weeks later...

No, please, Cathy, you're not a loser.

You have a problem that you're still fighting. That makes you a human, like all the rest of us.

A loser has no idea, isn't even trying. I know that's not you.

No, please, Cathy, you're not a loser.

You have a problem that you're still fighting. That makes you a human, like all the rest of us.

A loser has no idea, isn't even trying. I know that's not you.

Thanks malign.

But, honestly I am not trying to stop the SI. SI feels good to do . Not only is it a coping skill, I hardly feel the pain of the burns, I need it, and if calms me. Better than the Anxiety medications could ever do. It is a very different type of feeling. I'll admit it, Self harming, for now, is what i need , it is my drug of choice . It is accepted. It's not against the law. I need to .

Cathy

Okay, then.

How about getting rid of the 'loser' tag for yourself?

If this is what you want, and it works, at least you don't have to beat yourself up for doing it.

(And I'd never tell you that you "can't", like it's against the law, or something. You'll always have SI as a possible choice, no matter what you decide to do about it.)

Okay, then.

How about getting rid of the 'loser' tag for yourself?

If this is what you want, and it works, at least you don't have to beat yourself up for doing it.

(And I'd never tell you that you "can't", like it's against the law, or something. You'll always have SI as a possible choice, no matter what you decide to do about it.)

Ok, i'll scrap the loser part out then... No loser for Self harming. However, When I went back and read all the wonderful posts that even I contributed to I really did feel like i lost something after giving into the urge to SI>

Sometimes after waiting for so long not to and the build up becomes so intense it is as if a volcano erupts> I do not feel an ounce of guilt or shame for SI. I just need to stay away from this thread after SI'INg.

Malign, thank you so much for your kind words and support. They mean so much to me.

Cathy

• 3 months later...
Wow. The term "SI-ING" took me forever to figure out what it meant. I guess I still don't know as much about the lingo as I thought I did. Ha! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've gotten tattoo's so that I didn't cut.. But really, isn't that the same thing? Kind of? I mean, inflicting pain to feel better.. isn't that what this is about? The only difference is, society accepts tattoo's better than cuts all on the body. I know to rub an ice cube where you want to cut was also mentioned... and I've been told to wear a rubber band and snap it on my wrist when I have the urge.. Isn't that the same concept as cutting (or self harm)? It serves the same purpose! If I had a rubber band on my arm, I'd be popping it all day long. I think it'd not take over the cutting, it would add on to my list of bad habits.

Hello OnlyHuman,

Having Tattoos is NOT the same thing as self harm . Because , self harm is inflicted by the person doing it to themselves. A tattoo is administered by someone else. Although a Tat can be somewhat painful , it does not qualify as SI, done to the self .

The other things you wrote about are actual methods used as different ways of distracting somebody from using a more serious form of harming themselves. Someone who is so use to grabbing a sharp object when stressed out needs an alternative , and those are alternatives for them to use . Not to add to the list of bad habits , but to decrease the urges SI even if it is only temporary.