Mental Support Community

Hi there

Panda22

My name is Alicia, im 22 years old. I've been diagnosed with SPD (schizoid personality disorder).

I was never a sociable person i mean when i was little i was, but as soon as i grew up i just became to dislike being around people. I've never felt the urge to socialize and i avoid social events as much as i can. When the psychiatrist told me i had this at first i denied it but when i made research i just realized all the symptoms described me. Im okay at the moment but once in a while i have relapses. I take medication well i stopped now (i was taking paxil but to be honest it makes me feel worse). And i'd like to meet more people like me so i can understand better what i'm dealing with.

Welcome to the community, Alicia. :) Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Can you think of what you might be avoiding by not wanting to be around people?

Maybe you can work more with your psychiatrist to find a medication that works better for you. From what I understand, this can take some trial and error.

Take care.

Hello, Alicia, welcome :)!

How long have you been taking that medication? Wasn't it helping at all? In any case, giving up would be a pity; there are many types of meds, everybody just has to find which one works for him/her...

I hope this on-line socialization will be a nice and useful experience for you :).

Take care!

Hi Alicia,

I probably had Obsessive-Compulsive-Personality-Disorder (OCPD) most of my adult life and my late husband likely had Schizoid.

My late husband and I didn’t have any other close friends but we were good friends to each other, as well as loving each other.

So, I have a fondness in my heart for schizoids. Lots of good qualities. There’s a website that lists the characteristics of Asperger’s Syndrome as if they were assets, not liabilities, and my late husband was a lot like that. Here’s the link:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79:the-discovery-of-aspie-criteria&catid=45:archived-resource-papers&Itemid=181

Also, there’s a new book out, about how introverts in general are not appreciated in today’s society. But there have been other times and places when we were. In case you would like to look over the Table of Contents, etc., here’s that link on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352145#_

I hope that you will feel like writing some more about yourself and your life, and if you do, I look forward to reading it.