Mental Support Community

Nervous about colonoscopy

gone

I'm getting a colonoscopy at the end of the month. I'm tore up worring about being nude under the gown and sedated so I don't know what's going on. I hate the thought of being in a position where any woman can lift a sheet and see how little is down there.

As you all know I switched doctors a few months ago because a family friend started as the nurse at my old doctors office and might be in a position to view me naked. The thought of being nude in front of any woman for any reason really gets to me. It's almost a phobic fear. (no, actually it is on the level of a phobic fear) I can understand others unreasonable fears like snakes, spiders or rats. I don't fear any of them, but I have my own that makes me want to bolt and run.

I'm 56 years old. I've never had a colonoscopy. The doctors at my new clinic and my wife have been insistant I get one. I've scheduled it, but I'm already considering cancelling. It's weeks away, and my stomach is already tore up. I don't know why a guy can't wear a jock strap to something like this. Full access to the back end, everything covered up front.

Thanks for letting me vent.......there's really only a couple routes to take on this.

John

you MUST get a check up

and the medical staff will not care- they will have seen 1000s.

and they are bound by a strict ethical confidentiality code

Jessie, I don't care how many they've seen, really. We both know women talk. I heard about how the nurses will group around to discuss a particularly big or small one. They're only human.

John

They Won't look because they'll be looking at ur bum and for any human that's groose so the thought of checking out ur penis is way down on the rador. Remember that it's their job to look at the human anatomy and to many ppl in these roles that's as far as it goes. I had to show to doctor my boobs once and under different circumstance perhaps he would have been turned on but meh they see this stuff everyday.

For all they know you could be a grower , like it goes big when u have a boner ;)

I had a colonoscopy last year when I had c diff colitis. The prep is quite tough....but the procedure, by comparison, is a breeze. The doctors and nurses are professionals and are concerned with your health and well-being. I do hear your discomfort. These types of tests can be difficult to endure from an emotional standpoint. That being said, this is an important test to have.

I hope things go well for you.

Thanks for everyones replys. I don't know what my wife and doc would do if I cancelled now. I haven't made up my mind about this. I don't know what ever possessed me to agree to this now. People have lived for thousands of years without this, now all of a sudden it's like you're assured to die immediately if you don't have this done. I dunno...

Thanks again

John

I had the bottom side done a few years ago. There was me,the doctor and an intern

that I thought was going to be a guy.

It turned out to be a pretty girl who looked to be about 14 years old with the whitest teeth

I've ever seen. She ended up running the machine.

By the time I found out about her, it was too late to back out so I just

did as I've done for the last two years and acted like I couldn't care less.

I did admonish the doc after he set me up thinking it would be the young male student that

had already seen my junk.

(or lack thereof)

John, during a colonoscopy, you're hunched over, knees to chest, just to make the rest of it easier on you. {I won't be drawing you a picture.} It's unlikely that any part of your front will be exposed. Nurses (my brother is one) get pretty jaded about body parts. Now, if you had a tattoo on yer a$$, there might be a discussion ...

{As an aside, I love the Freudian slips in this thread: "... it was too late to back out ..." "Butthen" ... Sorry.}

John, colo-rectal cancer is a particularly nasty way to die. Otherwise, who would ever get tested?

Thanks again for all the input. I'm supposed to stop my plavix and asprin Wednesday. I'll have to decide something by then.

I had the bottom side done a few years ago. There was me,the doctor and an intern

that I thought was going to be a guy.

It turned out to be a pretty girl who looked to be about 14 years old with the whitest teeth

I've ever seen. She ended up running the machine.

By the time I found out about her, it was too late to back out so I just

did as I've done for the last two years and acted like I couldn't care less.

I did admonish the doc after he set me up thinking it would be the young male student that

had already seen my junk.

(or lack thereof)

Notdoneyet, I wanted to address this point directly.

At the end of my inital consultation (which turned into a mini physical) I had to sign a release form. On it were a number of statments. Number 1 was:

The N.P. _________________ (her name was filled in) has gone over the entire procedure with me and informed me of any risks associated with it.

There were around twelve of these sentances. Three of them had a place in front of them where I could inital and refuse. The first said I was aware that non-medical people might be in the room. I'm guessing salesmen (or saleswomen) or maybe the cleaning lady or janitor, I dunno.

#2 said they might videotape or take still pictures for educational purposes. Every attempt would be taken to preserve the antonimity of the patient.

#3 said "Other individuals in a learning capacity might be present observing and performing some of the tasks associated with this procedure under direct supervision of an attending physican.

I initialed a resounding NO to all three. I don't need common joes off the street watching, I don't need films or pictures and I definately don't need a group of kids standing around watching me while I'm knocked out cold and naked on a table. If they bring ANYONE else into that room and I find out, I'll gauren-damn-tee you there'll be pure hell to pay. I've met the staff that's supposed to be there. Oddly, there weren't any women. And there sure as heck wasn't a crowd.

John

I've had it done a couple of times. The first time, they didn't sedate me and I was able to watch the video along with the doctor. The 2nd time they sedated me. One moment I was answering a question for the nurse and the next thing I knew I was in a prep room being told I could get dressed. Like Irma Jean said, the few days preparing for it is much worse than actually getting it done.

What did you decide, John? How did it go?

I've pretty much decided to go with it. It's on Monday (the 18th).

I was talking with a nurse during pre-admission on the phone. When she asked if I had any questions, I said yes....How many people are in the room during the procedure?

She said two doctors and two nurses. I told her about not wanting a crowd, she said if I signed the paperwork refusing any observers, there wouldn't be anyone else allowed into the room. I asked how she could be so sure. She said with the newer HIPPA laws, the doctors, nurses and hospital could be in deep dodo if anyone else was allowed in when I had specifically turned down pics, movies and observers of any type.

She also said that while my bottom would be visible, my front would have not only a patient gown, they also drape sheets and sometimes a blanket over the front. (My bottom being visible doesn't bother me at all, after all everyones got one and they're all basically the same)

I've had it done a couple of times. The first time, they didn't sedate me and I was able to watch the video along with the doctor. The 2nd time they sedated me. One moment I was answering a question for the nurse and the next thing I knew I was in a prep room being told I could get dressed. Like Irma Jean said, the few days preparing for it is much worse than actually getting it done.

I've had other people tell me they were just sedated, not knocked out for this. I mean heck, I was only sedated for my stents. I remember everything. I can't believe a colonoscopy would be any worse.

I'd be far more comfortable with this if I was awake and aware instead of being knocked out.

John

You could probably make that request of the anesthesiologist, John. Some people freak a little knowing what's going on, and want to be put out; others are only comfortable if they do know.

Can't hurt to try, John. Good luck. {My brother is a nurse-anesthetist; I would hope he would hear what you had to say. And of course, you don't owe them an explanation of why.}

I can't promise there might not be some medical reason why they can't, but if you don't try, you won't know.

It's all over. I'm back home and clear headed. There was one doctor and three nurses. The procedure could have started better, but at least they didn't find anything at all. I don't think this is something I'll ever have to worry about again.

They couldn't just sedate me, they had to put me under. I asked, but they couldn't set it up.

John