Mental Support Community

Planning. I'm not good at it.

Victimorthecrime

Yep. Non-alcohol for me too. 

Another mindset trick that helps me w planning is giving myself a much larger time frame than I will actually need.  I feel less pressured & therefore less stress.  For example if I have to mow the lawn, clean the bathroom or go for groceries I will give myself a 2 hour window. It's not going to take that long and when I beat the estimate I feel good and often will keep going, getting to other things I had not even planned to do.  

5 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

Yep. Non-alcohol for me too. 

Another mindset trick that helps me w planning is giving myself a much larger time frame than I will actually need.  I feel less pressured & therefore less stress.  For example if I have to mow the lawn, clean the bathroom or go for groceries I will give myself a 2 hour window....

when you said "much larger time frame than i will actually need" i was expecting something like 2 months, not 2 hours lol. just kidding of course, but it just goes to show what league of lazy i'm in.

• 3 weeks later...

Failing big time at planning. Getting a few things done but minor.  I did get to the mini clinic for Flonase and antibiotics. Oh and I got a haircut. Feeling better but low energy.  I actually do have things planned but I am just not doing them because of not feeling well mentally and physically. But hopefully that will change soon.  

• 4 weeks later...

Update: until today I was using Flonase since the post above, 12-29-16.  It worked wonders for my nose/allergies but the side effects were bizarre and unpleasant: pain everywhere esp lower back, dizziness, nightmares, difficulty swollowing and a complete loss of libido.  Not that I need mine but still...

So I am off of it and glad to say that after about 36 hours now all my side effects have gone, praise God.  Even pushed myself to do a little workout tonight.  

I have decided to become a semi vegetarian.  My hero Bob Weir is a vegetarian and at 69 still plays 3.5 hour concerts. I still eat dairy and some meat but a lot less and less often. Also keeping sugar and salt to a minimum and drinking mostly decaf.  So far so good. I have lost about 6 pounds so far this year. Goal is 16 lbs.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have been doing good sticking to the diet but I allow myself to put off of it if I am eating w a friend. I only have 2 (how fucking sad is that?) and if I start eating only salads, that will be the end of that.   To be fair I know I could have more friends if I wanted to but it's just not my priority right now.  But I feel like I am floundering and not getting things done at the pace I should.  Gotta work on that.  That said, January has never been a good month for me and I am glad to greet February on the calendar tomorrow.  

I find eating out with friends somewhat awkward now too, since I became vegan. There often aren't a lot of available options at most local restaurants.

It's true that the events of daily life are rarely predictable. I struggle at times with adjustments too, but (as k would say) the terrain is ever changing and that's one thing we can count on. I think the ability to press on and keep trying speaks to a resilient spirit. I hope you will continue to keep on keeping on and hopefully the road ahead becomes clearer for you.

There's been a stomach flu going around here in town as well, though fortunately our family has remained healthy thus far. I hope you feel 100% again soon.

Oh I totally forgot you were a vegan.  I'm not there yet I eat still dairy and even some meat although much less often and in much smaller portions.  See I eat lunch at work cafeteria & there are only so many offerings.  That may have been where this bug came from.  But if that's my biggest problem, I'll take it.  Overall I am happy w the diet changes. No miracle, but I feel an improvement when combined w the no alcohol.  For example I have been pleased w my memory. I like it when I call recall obscure facts or just remember to do things w/o a reminder during a busy day. Now I just have to get more exercise, I get very lazy in winter.  

Anyway glad it's Friday, looking forward to weekend.  

• 2 weeks later...

i remember when i was energetic in my teens, i used to sleep late, wake up early (not by choice, but because of school etc) and was involved in some activities here and there; but i used to also take an afternoon nap sometimes. nowadays i just sleep a couple hours here and a few hours there whenever i can. i wish i could sleep 18 hours a day. now that would be epic! :lol:

One thing that I have uncovered about myself from this examination of planning is that for me to both plan and follow through it has to be in the service of a goal I really want.  Motivation is fueled by desire.  The problem is that growing up and in school we are forced to squelch our emotions and what is desire but an emotion, something we feel?