Mental Support Community

Dear uncle Vic

Daveuk

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jazz said:

Dear Uncle Vic,

Is it a good idea to talk politics with friends or not?

Good question.  The problem I run into is that even w people that I largely agree with we will eventually run across an issue where we disagree and it stirs anger.  So on balance I would say it's not a good idea but at the same time acknowledging that it's going to happen.  At the very least one needs to know when to bail if things get heated.  

What do you think?  Do you discuss politics w friends/family and if so how does it turn out?

20 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

Good question.  The problem I run into is that even w people that I largely agree with we will eventually run across an issue where we disagree and it stirs anger.  So on balance I would say it's not a good idea but at the same time acknowledging that it's going to happen.  At the very least one needs to know when to bail if things get heated.  

What do you think?  Do you discuss politics w friends/family and if so how does it turn out?

With family we tend to agree overall, probably because we have the same background and experiences. With friends it is different - I do tread a bit more carefully - because their views are shaped by different circumstances and I want to try to keep an open mind. Yes, it is possible I could be wrong...I have one friend who I thought was not in the least bit interested, but even she sent me a political retweet she liked today - that's the climate we are in here I think, people are taking more notice of what is going on.

Sometimes a good debate with a friend is enjoyable even if there is no chance of agreement too.  Followed by a change of subject...😁

15 minutes ago, jazz said:

With family we tend to agree overall, probably because we have the same background and experiences. With friends it is different - I do tread a bit more carefully - because their views are shaped by different circumstances and I want to try to keep an open mind. Yes, it is possible I could be wrong...I have one friend who I thought was not in the least bit interested, but even she sent me a political retweet she liked today - that's the climate we are in here I think, people are taking more notice of what is going on.

Sometimes a good debate with a friend is enjoyable even if there is no chance of agreement too.  Followed by a change of subject...😁

Okay change the subject

3 hours ago, Daveuk said:

Dear uncle vic 

What can I improve on in my potato salad ?

Hmmm...so long as the potatoes aren't too mushy I like any potato salad so I'll have to say nothing! 

As for individual taste I like black pepper, onion, grated cheese on mine. Not a big celery guy but I can deal. Not a bacon bits guy.  

What seasonings do you like? 🤔