Mental Support Community

Precious Moments

Jetliner

I'm sure I could have a lot of fun with this one. I believe that "precious moments" can be found every day if one is willing to be aware of the potential for them.

I also love nature and find being in the middle of it to be very soothing. It is a place where one becomes an observer to all of the the beauty that surrounds us. Might be the sound of birds chirping or the rustling of chipmunks running through fallen leaves, a coyote howling in the distance...and, yes, deer are particularly serene creatures. Their graceful, quiet, yet powerful movements embody a spirit of purity and freedom that is something to behold. There is also the beauty of the sounds and sights of our world. A visual of the sun rising, the gentle sound of water flowing over rocks in a stream, the scent of soggy ground, the sight of rolling green pastures and fields...or maybe even skyscrapers...I'm sure I could go on...

I think there is great value in taking a moment during the day to stop and appreciate all of the beauty to be found in our world. It's the little things sometimes that carry the greatest meaning. It's a gentle reminder that today is but only one day and that nature and life moves forward with or without us. Mine as well make the most of it...

Sitting by the window, snuggled and wrapped and warm. Outside the gales are blowing, the rain pelts down and droplets run down the outside of the window. looking, watching as puddles form on the ground, and as the rain performs its glory, and patters and sploshes about, I like to think its natures way of washing away the days rubbish. Leaving things fresh for another day............

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Thats well cool :), it is something that you will never forget, like your daughters first word, or the first time she started to crawl and then walk. :)

I still remember the very first word my Maisy said, and no it wasnt papa, or dada, it was moma, and my heart just burst with pride and joy :)

(may have had something to do with the fact that I used to call everything moma, ie ..... her fav teddy was moma bear, and then there were all the songs I made up and would sing to her, obviously with the word moma mentioned as much as pos, you get the idea :) )

A precious moment for me is to wake up in the morning and have my two little dogs, one just a 6 month old shih tzu , and my yorkie , both on my blankets , telling me "good morning" licking my face , forehead , and such, waiting until I make the first move out of bed. Waiting for the special word, "lets get up" !

My little dogs they are faithful and wait until I get up every single morning before they do. They are my little prtectoters . Life is so much sweeter with them . :D

Seeing my baby grandson Toby, who's changing all the time and my children get happy and excited of the little every day things.

oh and being mistaken for Tobys mum and not his nana lol, i suppose its not a precious moment really - but it makes me feel a bit younger which is pretty precious to me! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Nice topic!

Well my last precious moment was yesterday morning. I woke up from a bad dream. In the dream there was a war coming rapidly as aircrafts and ships appeared and I felt totally unsafe not knowing where to go (with what friendly person I know-to go) in order to be protected. So I woke up and told my friend: "Hug me". And he did. And that was one of some of the precious moments -in this 1st year of our serious, warm relationship- where I understood what it really means to be in a relationship. Of course all day long I repeated to him "my little boy who hugged me when I neeeeeded it" lol -and telling this, I made him also happy several times :)

Some other precious moments I have lately is when I write in my dictionary. This year I am unemployed, so I decided to go on a diet, stay home and avoid getting cold, and find joy and calm in my life. I read a lot of psychologic self help books (that's why I sing as autognosy). So I decided to get a dictionary and write in it good things that happens everyday that makes me happy (just like this topic here), confident etc, also write clever thoughts of clever people or phrases of the books I read that promotes nice motives in life and apeal to me, and also non-negative phrases, phrases like statements, written in the present as if they are true. Phrases that I hope to become true. I have written 1 for every 3 or 4 days to repeat constantly. Like "I love my body and treat my skin with respect" or "I really like excercising" or "I have confidence in me and can go through to everything that happens" and so on.

What good happens everyday I can't start writing till the 1st of the year, as it is a 2010 dictionary. But I have nearly ended the statement part. And everytime I read and right the statements, everytime I stop because my eyes are tired, I realize my soul is lifted up!!! So I strongly believe that since they gave me so lighting and precious moments just writing them down for 1-2 hours, these statements will definately work in my life if I make them part of it...!

Sorry for the big post, I just wanted to share with you. You might wanted to hear of this inspiring idea.

Edited by Autognosy

Hi Autognosy,

I think the idea of a journal of positive thoughts and experiences is a great idea. It's a good way to counter those negative thoughts we all get from time to time.

By the way, what does your name mean, Self-Knowledge? We don't study nearly enough Greek, in the U.S. ;-)

By the way, what does your name mean, Self-Knowledge? We don't study nearly enough Greek, in the U.S. ;-)

I'm sorry, I thought you use that word... that's right, that's what it means. I would really go to have some self-knowledge lessons but they are so expensive and they last 3-4 years, so I stay in all I can succeed by personal work.

• 3 months later...

I missed this before. It's nice to know that there are men out there who share my sentimental views on life. :)

I think one very important thing I learned from therapy is how loving others really helps us to self-actualize and realize self-love. When someone treats us well or in ways that meet our needs, we may respond with the very best of ourselves. So, in loving another, the object of our affection serves as a reminder of all that we love about ourselves. Feeling giving, caring and loving about another person is also about appreciating our own gifts. Giving begets more giving. When we recognize our love for someone and feel it from within, being a loving person who wants to share our love with others is also very much a gift to ourselves. It's nice to know what we're capable of.

There are other aspects of loving as well, such as the way we love our children. They give to us and bring out our love by simply being. Familiarity helps love to blossom and grow. We become aware of them, little by little, and each moment of awareness...a certain smile, laugh or expression which belongs only to them...brings us closer to recognition and eventual understanding. Watching someone unfold in front of you and coming to recognize that person for who they are is a gift in and of itself.

I think I like talking about love. :rolleyes: Thanks, Jetliner. :)

I think love is a great topic to talk about!! I'm still coming down off the time I had in Russia and thought I'd share a story that made my heart melt. It was during the visit to the baby orphanage.

I have visited and worked with staff in baby orphanages many times when I lived in Russia and when back for visits. It's always a bittersweet experience with the emotional extremes of spreading love and joy to the children and seeing the longing and lonliness and sometimes fear in them. This visit turned out very special though. This time I came across a secret garden.

It all started when we visited the baby orphanage. A baby orphanage in Russia does not mean all "babies". The children here range from ages 1 month to 5 years old. At the age of 5 they are sent to a different orphanage, kind of like going from pre school to elementary school, and I use the term school very loosely but don't get me started on that!!

Initially, we all gathered in the playroom at the orphanage. I must say it was a fairly nice playroom by orphanage standards, as this was one of the better baby orphanages in Russia. The children in these orphanages here get very little play time, hugs, or laughs. It was heart warming to be able to share these things with them, even if for only a moment.

It always affects me deeply to be with these children who will laugh and love and play with anyone who is willing! That was really not surprising to me, but every time I see it in action it makes another imprint on my soul.

After a few minutes of waiting, the children started trickling into the playroom to see these strangers who came to play with them. At first some would be shy, not knowing what to expect from such strangers. Some would start dancing and playing right away knowing these strangers were here to LOVE them. And some would sneak into a corner with one of their teachers to watch what would unfold, not quite trusting yet. Eventually though, ALL of the children would end up playing with us, or at least reach out to be touched or hugged.

It is also fun for me to watch the transformation of the folks who come here to love these kids. They, as I always do too, come here wanting to share themselves and let these children know that they are loved and wanted just like other children. We leave here with a small sense of accomplishment, a keen sense of sadness with a touch of appreciation for our own lives, and a big dose of inspiration! If these kids, who have been abandoned by their own parents, can find a way to laugh and love... then WE can certainly deal with our own "adversities" at home a little better. It is always funny to me how these kids will help us and teach us way more than we ever help or teach them! It shows on everyone who comes here, and is one of the many reasons why I keep coming back.

Speaking of adversities and teachings, allow me to tell you about a child who especially touched my heart. His name is Pasha. After playing with the kids for a while, everyone settled back to listen as my friend, Ryan and I presented a flute/piano concert. One of the kids, who had difficulty walking, would come up to hug me after each song. (He was afraid of Ryan and the other men in our group.) When we were done, I took an opportunity to play with Pasha a little. Little did I know what opportunity was about to be presented to me.

Pasha and I played for a little while as he made faces at me. He is one funny kid let me tell you, and his funny faces are forever sketched in my mind. After a few minutes of this it was time for some of the kids to go out and play in the snow, and some to go for nap time. So, Pasha stands up and starts to leave the playroom, but first he reaches out for my hand. I naturally take it not knowing what it means just yet. I quickly realize he wants to show me something. I get up and start walking towards the door, hand and hand with Pasha.

As we start walking I notice more the deformity in his legs. They are extremely bow legged and it is difficult for him to walk. He has to waddle because his legs won't allow him to walk straight. I can only imagine how hard it must be to deal with that everyday. Yet, Pasha is leading me out of the playroom with a smile on his face. We get to the door of the playroom and he continues to lead me down the hall. Then we get to some stairs and Pasha is still holding my hand and leading me. I am not sure what to do at this point as I know we can not walk down these stairs side by side. Pasha sees the hesitation in my eyes and he gives me a signal to go down the stairs.

I do as he beckons and I go to the bottom of the stairs. I turn to watch him walk down the stairs. He has to turn sideways and hold onto the stair railing as he waddles down the stairs one step at a time and painfully slow. In this moment I realize there is no elevator and he has to do this everyday, probably multiple times in a day! And somehow he his still smiling at me! How does a child who has been abandoned by his parents, probably because of his disability, find a way to smile thru all that? I will never know the answer to that, but I do know Pasha has just taught me a valuable life lesson and I am grateful to him for that whether he realizes it or not.

After some time he reaches the bottom of the two tier stairs. There he grabs my hand and continues to lead me. We walk down the hall and thru a room. In this room are some cribs and a teacher. I barely notice the room as I am focused on Pasha. We go thru another door and end up in Pasha's room. He has taken me to his room, bless his soul.

In his room, shared by a few other children, he waves goodbye to me. I make a few funny faces at two of the children in the room and go on my way. As I leave I have to walk back thru the first room we entered. I stopped and realized there were some children in the cribs. These children had moderate to severe disabilities and were approximately age 4 or 5. Yes, 4 and 5 year olds were in cribs. I decided I should try to play with these children too. Well, it didn't really take much trying, but I did do it cautiously while glancing at their "teacher" who was watching. She was smiling at me, so I proceeded.

The first child had contracted arms and legs. His eyes went wide open when I made a squeaky noise with a toy I had in my pocket and he smiled at me. I blew up a round balloon and tossed it into his crib. He giggled as he tried to bounce the balloon back up to me with his deformed arms and hands. We played like that for a few moments til he closed his eyes to rest.

I turned around and in the crib next to his was another child. This child's eyes were squinted and I am sure he had some sort of visual impairment. However, that did not keep him from playing with me. I squeaked the toy at him and he smiled. I reached down and tickled his tummy and he laughed. He then grabbed my finger with his tiny hand and would not let go. I tried to pull my hand up, but his hand just came along for the ride as he was not letting go of my finger til he wanted to! After some more tickling of his tummy and gently pulling my hand back and forth as if I had control, he finally let go and relaxed to rest.

As I was leaving the room, I noticed a third child. He was laying on a big round ball outside his crib, with one arm tethered to his crib. This is not unusual for children in baby orphanages to be tethered to their cribs.

Another teacher came down to fetch me to go outside and play with the other children in the snow. She said "lets go," in Russian. She did it nicely, but it was time for me to leave. Or so I thought. As I was leaving, the third child reached up and grabbed my hand with his free hand. He tried to place it on his cheek but had difficulty with only one free hand. So I placed it there for a moment before I had to leave.

As I headed out to the other children I realized I had just walked thru a Secret Garden. A garden of children who want to grow and spread love and joy like all the other children. Well, let me tell you... they spread some love and joy to my heart that day and I hope more folks get to experience this Secret Garden! My last image of this Secret Garden was a boy on a large ball with a huge smile on his face! My heart overflowed!

• 2 weeks later...

Last night me and my wife had some issues but it ended in a night of wrestling, smiles, and tears. It seems like everytime we have problems we go to bed looking at each other like we did when we first got married I could have proposed to her again. Its been 8yrs now and with more precious moments like this i see us making it 8 more. I hope that wasn't to corny for yall.