Mental Support Community

Reputation points

David O

Yep, we all do.

Refresh with F5, or just come back to the page, and you'll see the updated number.

I already find it too cumbersome to try to explain the miles-per-gallon rating the U.S. EPA puts on cars, to friends from overseas. "How does that mean that people are all different?" they ask. And uncharacteristically, I'm at a loss for words.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, I would like to point out that although I may be 'overseas' (actually, it's you guys who are overseas) I understand YMMV. Who are these friends of yours, Mark? :(

Americans have to use YMMV because they're so litigous that if it isn't used, they can sue because they think the MacDonald's spokesperson speaks the truth when he says their food is not cholesterol-raising.. *wink* :(

Besides mileage is mileage, even if you use km/L, as we do. It's not 'kilometerage'. :)

Hope no-one is offended by the above. Some of my best friends are 'mericans, honest. :D (Including the one I'm teasing now...)

Have you ever read the satire of Thanksgiving by Art Buchwald in which he "translates" the name of one of the main characters, Miles Standish, into "Kilomètres Deboutish"? :-)

In fact, it is a well-documented fact that McDonald's hamburgers are primarily made of soy, which as a vegetable product does not contain any cholesterol at all. It must be the frying oil they use. ;-)

So, do people from Atlantis come from "underseas"?

Archived