Mental Support Community

Hormonal depression

goose

I am quite sure that there is an hormonal element to my depression now.

Given that I am now 47, there is evidence that I am pre-menopasual, and my shift in mood corresponds to that.

As I am already on plenty of medication I am reluctant to add in more, I am also having counselling. I hate the erratic nature of it, the tearfulness and low moods ~ also when my mood is low I tend to make rash decisions which could prove harmful to my health.

Any advice ?

Goose

Hi Goose. Sorry to hear that your depression is tied to your hormones... been there, done that, for longer than I can remember. Hormonal imbalances that induce depression have been the bane of my existence all of my adult life. I actually think I never developed a stable personality because I would warp into some kind of bizarre version of myself two weeks out of them month. Now I'm premenopausal, on the verge of menopause, and I find it is getting better. The period from age 45 to 52 I experienced intense PMS I called it PMS on steroids. I've never wanted to take hormone therapy, but that's just me... I hear is works for some, but I was a basket case on the pill and with anything that played with my hormones, so never went that way...

A few things that help are keeping the stress levels very low, strong exercising is very helpful, and watching what you eat. I gained many pounds during those years and it definitively made it worse. Do you find that certain foods make your symptoms worst? I also take vitamin supplements, avoid sugars and caffeine wheverer possible, and in recent months I've been using a SAD lamp which I'm finding quite helpful. Damn hormones! Can't wait until after menopause when perhaps I will finally get some respite...:cool: There is respite after menopause, right???????

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Goose,

First, let me say that I fully agree with Symora. :P

Of course hormonal changes brought about by menopause can wreak havoc on moods. However, there are additional factors to take into consideration and think about: What does aging mean to you, as a woman, as a human being? In fact, there are many emotions that come to the forefront as we age, particularly since these physical changes arouse our worst fears and imaginings. If you are in psychotherapy, these are great things to bring up. You are right, more medicine is not the answer. That is why I advocate psychotherapy.........and our community.

In fact, it would be great to hear from more of our ladies about the issues of peri menopause, menopause and the aging process.

Allan

Yes Allan, I agree there is more to it than moods.

At the age I am now I am considering my future - a while back my future seemed to be empty. My Children growing up and possibly leaving home for college is something I dread. I have left aside any hobbies I had for a while now.

Will I have to re-assess my relationship with my husband as we spend more time together? Can we find that togetherness we once had before the children arrived?

The fact that I could no longer concieve would be a relief to me, as my pregnancies were marred with severe PND.

One positive thing I have done (with the encouragement of my therapist) is to go back into education - I always wanted to get a degree and I am now taking the first step on that journey.

And something I am determined to learn if it kills me is to be able to parallel park my car. - if other people can do it {ok, mostly men} surely I can.:P

Goose

For me it was going pretty well until about 50. Then it all sort of came crashing down and I could no longer be who I had been all of my life. I used to be what friends of mine have called superwoman :) Single parented and did a good job; volunteered; sat on Boards and lead committees, for cooperatives where I lived, went back to university, held down a full time job and had a bit of a go at a career, did lots of home renos, craft shows, sewed a lot of clothes, painted, sat on spiritual assemblies. I was one busy woman! and this while having serious back issues that led to my becoming handicapped in one leg from a blown lumbar disk. When I think about that now I am aghast at the energy I used to have, and this while I always struggled with dystymia, without medication, and severe PMS. I think it's in my genes. My dad and grandma were like that. Even severely handicapped as an elderly man my father could not stop doing projects and being involved in things ....

Anway, last fall I would say I was as pretty close to comatose as I have ever been in my life, except perhaps before my back operation. My life had closed down on itself, I had changed that much from from who I used to be. This gradual cosing down corresponds to the period I took Celexa, but then I took the Celexa because I was struggling, so which came first, the chicken or the egg.... I think I've had three burnouts from the amount of exertion I put into being superwoman.... The last one in the fall is not so easy to come out of now... it gets harder every time. So I have to become someone else. Someone older, who has to spread things out over weeks instead of days now. Someone who is afraid to take things on because I can't maintain the capacity to participate. I don't recognize myself and I'm somewhat like a teenager who is facing another stage in life, feeling like I don't really understand what I'm moving towards but I know it's not what it has been most of my life.

oh yeah, worst fears and imaginings....that's what I'm looking at straight in the face right now. Many life events in the last fews years that have shaken me to the core, brought home the frailty of life, the value of making the right choices, the importance of exercise, the fear of not having enough pension to be comfortable when I retire, the fear of a handicap that could take my independence away, the reality of facing old age without a partner. I think they are rightfully things one should reflect upon as one gets older, but I live alone now and I've lost my confidantes, so sometimes the vain imaginings can get sort of out of control :eek:

I have to admit though that I feel like I've come a long way in the last 3 months. I was a mess last fall, really a mess. Today I am comfortable with the decision I have taken re. my ex, I have quit smoking, I am addressing the weight issues that were part of my sadness, and I can function much better generally speaking than I did back then.

This getting older thing is not easy, but some days I have a contentment that I did not feel when I was younger. That part I like :)

Archived