Mental Support Community

technical problems and 'the simple things'

Unbekannt

My second husband was working in IT. He was mainly working with the AS400 and as it is with that weird machine, the programmer was also the Help Desk Guy.

He had this one lady call in one day, and he said she was actually not one of the more dumb ones, and she just couldn't get the machine to boot up (the AS400 is a bit finicky in that regard). And my husband asked her, if she had checked the basics, like "is the power plugged in?" She got somewhat upset that he asked her something like that. He said he heard her healed shoes click, click, click... going across the room, and then he heard them come back, click, click, click... and then she just hung up on him...

Well... I was struggling. First with posting here, my e-mail, browsing, the weirdest disconnections, and then it worked again and then not, and my husband on the other machine (same network) had similar problems and we were cussing quite a bit today... Finally I called my ISP (not cussing) and asked for help, and they told me 'your line is fine... not sure what it could be, may be AT&T doing some repairs and intermittently disconnecting you', I said 'thank you' and hung up, cussing at AT&T... the evening continued, and nothing got better and I thought, but if it was AT&T, shouldn't I have problems with my regular phoneline and all this on a late Saturday night? So I started flushing my dns and resetting and all that nice stuff, restoring my routing table (thinking - again somewhat cussing at that darn company - that mcafee which I uninstalled and had the subscription canceled to be replaced with a much cheaper and much nicer company was messing with me in an act of revenge), still it didn't work, intermittent dc's at the most stupid times, always hitting that darn "diagnose connection button" and growing VERY tired of it. Finally I thought it must be that 'darn' router'... cussing at sysco (it was a day rich in unpleasant words), looking up the page and they actually had a very nice innovation there since last I checked. They had uploaded manuals that gave you step by step instructions on how to download and upload firmware upgrades, how to reset the router and reset your security settings - really nice, didn't need to call, could do it all on my own. It turned out that there was an upgrade to the firmware of the router, so I downloaded that, thinking 'finally found my problem'... only wondering why now and not earlier... - thinking may be that darn microsoft did some change that forces me now to use that new router software. So I get the settings backed up, downloaded and installed the new software (with lots of dc's, lots of sighs and lots of restarts and doublechecks), restored my settings from the back up and... (another cussword) intermittent dc's and hitting that 'diagnose connection' button again. Part of the router software upgrade instructions was to reset the router. I thought, may be I didn't push that (darn) button long enough. So I did it again. And I found something out. That darn me had not seen that the router's powerplug was not properly pushed in, so sometimes it had power and sometimes it didn't have power...

Im sorry, I know I shouldnt laugh, but thats really funny. The amount of times Ive threatened to give my laptop or computer a free aviation lesson coz its not doing its job, only to find out ive not pushed the internet connection thing in its slot thingy (very technical term) is unbelievable. :o:)

I think what amazes me is how much my life, both personally and professionally, is tied into my laptop and the internet. Here I get social networking, some socialization, interaction, organize my life, talk to my kids and friends... just so many things that if anything goes wrong my frustration tolerance seems to go out the window.

Im sorry, I know I shouldnt laugh, but thats really funny. The amount of times Ive threatened to give my laptop or computer a free aviation lesson coz its not doing its job, only to find out ive not pushed the internet connection thing in its slot thingy (very technical term) is unbelievable. :D:)

You're suppossed to laugh! I was laughing too... that's why I put it out there! It is funny.

I think what amazes me is how much my life, both personally and professionally, is tied into my laptop and the internet. Here I get social networking, some socialization, interaction, organize my life, talk to my kids and friends... just so many things that if anything goes wrong my frustration tolerance seems to go out the window.

Isn't it? But isn't it fun too? I must say the internet is one of the best things in terms of technical innovation for me at least. I just love it. I got all the reference materials I need, with LaLa giving me that awesome little tool to browse serious research that got so prettily extended, I got dicitonaries, thesaurus, news to all the spiritual groups I like to read up on, contact possibilities... It's endless and I enjoy it endlessly.

There's some science fiction (Timothy Zahn and Catherine Asaro come to mind) that postulates a plug to the brain for people so they can connect to the computer and it's vast information processing abilities directcly, without needing the 'input' and 'output' facilities, that way increasing speed and processing. I know, if that would be available and somebody even needed just a test object, I would be in the frontline to try it out, even if I knew that serious risks were connected to it. It's just too amazing, too fascinating to not try out.

Ah, the eternally troublesome powerplug ! :D I've had my computer in the shop 3 times in the last couple of months, so I can relate to the frustration!.. ..

oh dang that sucks... I hope it's still covered by warranty! (could tell some less funny stories about experiences with dell in that regard...)

it's amazing how technologically dependent I have become. My netbook is always with me. When I went to Russa last month, the group was teasing me relentlessly because in my carry on was my netbook, my kindle, my i-pod and my cell phone!!

I also had a day at work last week where our network went down. It was amusing watching all my co-workers wandering around aimlessly because they couldn't function and didn't know what to do with themselves without their computers.

I had a friend who worked in customer support, and "Is it plugged in?" is probably the first thing they asked. He called it a Type 1 error, which he paraphrased as, The operator must be more intelligent than the equipment being operated. :-)

I had a friend who worked in customer support, and "Is it plugged in?" is probably the first thing they asked. He called it a Type 1 error, which he paraphrased as, The operator must be more intelligent than the equipment being operated. :-)

Oh my....

that's a blow.... poor me and here I thought I was bright!

*laughing*

Beka (I wish I spoke enough German to be able to shorten your name better than that, but I'm a sucker for nicknames):

You don't qualify as a Type I, because you did plug it in. Odd behavior of the on/off switch doesn't count. Anyone who can install their own patches is more intelligent than a router, guaranteed. More intelligent than most of the programmers, in all likelihood. :-)

David:

That's the beauty of jargon: you get to reinvent it at will.

Archived