Mental Support Community

Unhappy with my weight, again.

Renni.cl

I went to the doctor a couple days ago and she told me that I weight 60kg and that I'm 1.60mts tall, meaning that I'm overweight. I've always had a problem with weight but I really thought that I was losing some in the past months but turns out I am not. My doctor has this graph with a line telling you what your weight should be and I've always been above the line. I've tried exercise and diets but it's not working. I'm eating less now. I hate feeling full. Sometimes I look in the mirror and feel really fat and unhappy with myself. I just want to be under the line of the stupid graph. 

On 2018-02-11 at 5:28 AM, Renni.cl said:

I just want to be under the line of the stupid graph. 

Why would this be so important for you? I your post about loneliness, you mentioned much more important needs and goals and they're not related to this stressing graph...

Please, try first to educate yourself about your metabolism and the needs of your body, because you don't need to create another huge problem for yourself - stressful dieting, weight gain and frustration. Try starting here, for instance:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mind-body-connection/201404/why-diets-can-be-dangerous

https://breakingmuscle.com/healthy-eating/why-dieting-is-harmful-to-your-health

https://www.thankyourbody.com/dangers-of-dieting/

Good luck!

Doctors often use references such as these, but I don't imagine many of us fit perfectly into any mold. I do hear that this distresses you. There are a lot of diets out there and I think it makes sense to research before trying anything new. Did your doctor offer advice or suggestions? I hope you feel better, Renni.

I'm in the same boat. I can't believe I've fallen into the trap of not being able to shift my weight. Consistency requires consistency unfortunately lol. I was sooo bloody thin as a teenager, I honestly thought it would last forever, I guess I was wrong. I'm trying not to diet or exercise atm until I really feel like it's time. But it's not a great feeling being at the mercy of my terrible diet and very little exercise regime. Do you have any tips that have or haven't worked for you in the past @Renni.cl?

I need to lose weight as well. A few years ago, I lost a significant amount of weight because I was preparing for a long distance backpacking trip through the mountains. I lost about 20% of my bodyweight in a 6 month period by eating salads with grilled chicken for most meals, drinking nothing but black coffee or water, and by intense exorcising for an hour each day (6 days per week).

The motivation is what kept me going and once I got back I swore I would keep the weight off but I lost my motivation and gained the weight back.

To me, it sucks to think that my lifestyle would have to be reduced to salads and exercising at 4:00am in order to remain somewhat in shape.

There's also a significant difference between middle-aged men wanting to lose weight and a teen-aged girl who hates eating.

Ultimately, Renni, all the decisions are yours.  I know that at your age, I didn't want to look like my dad, either, and it was harder for me because, as you see, I was, and/or am, a boy.  I grew out of it, though, once I knew that people weren't going to associate me with my dad's mistakes.  Of course, that was because I was making enough of my own ...

That said, I think BMI is the biggest lie, which is also a brief poem.  As you said, it's a stupid graph, so why does its opinion matter?  The idea that only height and gender are enough to determine healthy weight, regardless of factors like build, is silly.  Did your doctor direct you to diet?

17 hours ago, malign said:

There's also a significant difference between middle-aged men wanting to lose weight and a teen-aged girl who hates eating.

This is something that I've wanted to point out, too, as important for Renni. (I don't 'dismiss' other people's experiences, of course!)

Renni, it's possible that once you'll have a good relationship with food and a healthy-enough lifestyle, including healthy eating, your BMI will indeed be lower and you'll feel better about the shape of your body. I realized I should mention this so that you wouldn't get my "anti-dieting" and "anti-BMI" posts wrong. I'm not promoting "not caring about your body at all"; quite on the contrary: I've tried, in my posts, to show you that you have to care about yourself in a healthy, non-extreme, non-dangerous way and, according to most studies, dieting doesn't make part of it as it can lead to yo-yo effect, psychological and physiological problems. Under a different topic on this forum, I also suggested some websites - have you already had a look at them? If yes, what do you think, what are your impressions and how did your opinions change, if at all?

Take care!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:57 AM, YOTH said:

I'm in the same boat. I can't believe I've fallen into the trap of not being able to shift my weight. Consistency requires consistency unfortunately lol. I was sooo bloody thin as a teenager, I honestly thought it would last forever, I guess I was wrong. I'm trying not to diet or exercise atm until I really feel like it's time. But it's not a great feeling being at the mercy of my terrible diet and very little exercise regime. Do you have any tips that have or haven't worked for you in the past @Renni.cl?

Hi, I have tried everything but I can’t lose weight. Today I got measured again and now I am 61.5kg I gained 1.5 kilos! I cant believe I am getting fat again. But if it helps you cutting all then milk and cheese and bread from your diet helped my cousin.

Cutting out bread definitely works, at least it has in the past, but it's so delicious lol. I could add more fruit and make the exercise enjoyable (football etc) but it takes abundant willingness to shift weight and bugger all to pile it on. Every time I've dieted I've always lost weight, then lost the will to do it and piled on double. It's shit really, I wish I was like Perry from Scrubs who punished his body by working out.