Mental Support Community

Oh dear god , things are just getting worse

mscat

I do not get it, Just know things are getting far more worse than ever before. it is scary. I am unable to tolerate outside noises , lights , sounds anymore. In public.... The noises, it is piericing, all the way to my bones, I shiver, and feel as though I am about to die. I am somthering , and the noises around me are way too much , unbearable . I put my my head down, the sounds, the doors, slamming, everything is and intensifiying around me, god , it is bad.

I had to take my son to the Dr's , and ended up calling my brother, my sister N law answered the phone, my 18 yr old niece came over to thr Dr's clinic, I went in my car. I just could not handle it in there, once in my car , I was breathing so heavily , it took a very long time to calm down. It scared me,and I could not understand what was happening.

This is the second time in less than a week this has happened. I know usually I only feel the safest at home , where it is the quietest, and I have to be in dim lights , however, it is now affecting me worse than ever. WHich scares me. It scares me becasue I do not understand why this is happening.

I already take anxiety medication.... I will have to bring this up in therapy, it is getting worse , not better. That is what is scaring me ..... and I hate not understanding why. :confused: I am also very jumpy when it comes to all those sounds noises that are so intense .... Anybody have any ideas ? anyone ? ?

Hi mscat,

im sorry i have no ideas and i cant even say i understand what you're going through because i dont, I can understand that it must be very frightening and exhausting.

Would it be worth visiting your gp until you next see your therapist? He/she might be able to adjust your medication, see if that helps at all.

Is your brother able to have your son to stay with him for a few days ? I know it wont resolve anything but maybe a break from everyday demands will give you some space so you can get some quiet rest time.

im sorry i dont have anything to offer other than good wishes and to say please look after yourself and hang in there until you can get some help.

Take care, Donna :D

I do not get it, Just know things are getting far more worse than ever before. it is scary. I am unable to tolerate outside noises , lights , sounds anymore. In public.... The noises, it is piericing, all the way to my bones, I shiver, and feel as though I am about to die. I am somthering , and the noises around me are way too much , unbearable . I put my my head down, the sounds, the doors, slamming, everything is and intensifiying around me, god , it is bad.

I had to take my son to the Dr's , and ended up calling my brother, my sister N law answered the phone, my 18 yr old niece came over to thr Dr's clinic, I went in my car. I just could not handle it in there, once in my car , I was breathing so heavily , it took a very long time to calm down. It scared me,and I could not understand what was happening.

This is the second time in less than a week this has happened. I know usually I only feel the safest at home , where it is the quietest, and I have to be in dim lights , however, it is now affecting me worse than ever. WHich scares me. It scares me becasue I do not understand why this is happening.

I already take anxiety medication.... I will have to bring this up in therapy, it is getting worse , not better. That is what is scaring me ..... and I hate not understanding why. :confused: I am also very jumpy when it comes to all those sounds noises that are so intense .... Anybody have any ideas ? anyone ? ?

What is it that you're feeling during all of this? Is it fear? Sensory overload that feels very overwhelming to you? If I'm feeling particularly anxious about something, I become much more sensitive to these types of things. I also think that anxiety builds upon itself. You might actually begin to feel anxious about potentially having an anxious reaction...which makes you even more anxious...it's a vicious cycle.

Have you been working on something major in therapy? If you are closing in on something big, the world might feel as if it is caving in on you. Maybe then intensifying all of those fears? I'm totally just speculating here...

You say returning home and to a quiet place calms you? Does anything calm you in the middle of these reactions or do you need to actually remove yourself from the situation?

I agree that you should talk to your therapist about this.

I'm sorry that you've been going through this. :D

Dear mscat,

It sounds like sensory overload. Whatever the reason, your neurology is extra sensitized. Is there any way you could receive sensory integration therapy? There is Therapeutic Listening... special music you listen to with headphones that eases and reconditions auditory sensitivity. There are protocols for tactile issues. A general helping approach is to wear a weighted vest for 40 minutes at a time. It really is calming!! I know it sounds strange. It makes more sense when you experience it. Even headphones with gentle music of your own might help a little. Your sensory receptors need to organize and settle. They are too heightened.

I hope today goes better for you! :D

WEll it is everything is on may overload, to the max, such as sounds are louder , to the point where it hurts my ears, and the lights , all noises makes me want to cringe ... it sends me into panic mode,and I do not understand why.... It is making me feel extremely frantic, like I am losing control, and want to get the hell out of there. I called my family, and literally dropped the office phone on the desk, not on purpose. Stupid me, had not charged up my cell phone, god , the Dr. Office was only down the street.

I found out later I scared My poor neice to death. My brother told me. Now it is 3am and I am wide awake . LOL .Anther few hrs. my son will be catching his school bus . We are expecting a huge storm to roll in . Guess I am anxikous about that too, who knows. I did take my nightly meds, which usally knock me out, but not this time.

I go to therapy on Wednesday, so I'll talk about it than. Just do not understand what the hell is making me have this senory overload issues. I am actually familar with that, because of my childs autism. However, if this is what is happening, I still do not understand why in the world would it happen all at once?

Maybe it is just extreme stress , or anxiety or something. Gosh , I don;t know, I already have PTSD , so maybe it is related to that. ... just something like a panic type of thing happening every time I am out in public and their is a lot of noise a lights , which happens when well, your out in public, I feel so screwed!!!! :D

I make simple sand bags from old pant legs... sew seams and fill with sand. The weight on the lap is very soothing. Also spandex clothing that gives you a squeeze will work for a while. You have to take it off for a while then put it back on to continue the effect. You are flooded and you need soothing!! Is there any thing around the house you could try, like bags of rice or flour or beans to put in your lap? Can you gently rock? This may take a day or two to climb out of.

I have a friend who is an adult with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. She gets flooded like this. Someone gave her a lead vest from a dental office (I guess they have to replace them from time to time). She turns off the lights, puts that on, puts sand bags on her thighs, listens to quiet music or none and waits for her system to settle down again. If she has to go out she wears dark glasses and ear plugs.

Hope you are able to find some peace today. :D

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Mscat,

What you are describing is what is called "sensory overload." It is also referred to as "sensory defensiveness." What these terms mean is that you are more sensitive to sounds, motions, sights, etc. than the average person.

For example, If I have a neighbor with a smalll child who lives in the apartment upstairs from me and that child thumps on the floor and I hear it, it might annoy me. If I have "sensory defensiveness," the thumping will drive me absolutel MAD and very quickly.

That is what you are experiencing. Why this happens to some people is complicated. It can result from years of suffering abuse. It can be physiological in nature, just because of the way your nervous system is made. Anyway, what ever the cause is, it is very real and no joke.

I suggest that you discuss this with your therapist.

One of the things you can do is to find as many ways as possible to reduce your stress because stress worsens it. Meditation in a quiet place is a good idea.

Does this help and do others have this problem???

Allan

thank you for the relpys. What upsets e, is why is is getting worse, and coming on with a vengence> Flooding into my ears and it is very painful, causing me to panic . It sends me into a state of extreme fear and I can't function , I was trying to fill out paperwork for my new tv , and my brother just took the clipboard out of my hands and finsished for me. He said my eyes were huge. Thakfully he was there, and knew , and saw all of what was happening , I try so hard to block all the nosies out, but they just instensify the harder I try it just becomes even louder , I just began to cringe.

NOT the first time, it happens , even at the Pdocs. The stupid cleaning woman , I have a total adversion to her, she has to vaccume, I swear to god it is the loudest vaccum in the world. I have to walk out . And than she uses pine sol, pine sol? that crap is already strog, however, I believe it has to be double stenghth , enough to kill a horse. :rolleyes:

The only people I know eho have these sensory overload issues are austistic people, and I am not autistic. My son is , so I am familar with this, but was not thinking that this was the same thing.

ABsolutely unsure as to what has happened and why it is happend , and quite pissed off that is has. because now I hate leaving my home. Too much nosise, and people, lights to deal with. they suck . ad I just can't deal with all the commotion.

Today, their is a powerful wind and rain storm . It is dark , very dark and quiet here in our very small town. More than likely the electricity will go out.

now , i like the calmness. The wind is so cool to hear. We live upstairs so the wind real howls. It is is nice.

No other sounds but that. and the darkness . i can take that. Guess I am a freak or something, and I do not care.

Hah. You're not a freak, Cathy, you're just different.

We're all different.

It's just that some of us are better at it than others. :-)

I can understand it getting worse, or at least that you might notice it more, with the anxiety we all know has been building up, for you. It's important not to add to it, by worrying about this. Let us know how it goes.

It isn't just people with autism or FAS that suffer from sensory overload. Anyone on this site could experience your symptoms given the right conditions. It is a neurological phenomenom, and it can go away if you are able to reduce the stimulation and get back to calm. The modes I mentioned are techniques that are used with people with autism, but they can work on anyone. They can work on pets, to some degree. Those modalities are calming for mammals, you could say. I don't think a grasshopper would enjoy them. Please do not think of yourself as a freak, dear Cathy. You are in pain. You deserve to be comforted and calmed. Loved, even. And we love you.

Thank you Finding my way. Your one on here, that seems to always really know what to say to me on here, to help me feel so much better for that, words can't express how much I apreciate your kindness towards me, as well as your thoughtfulness. :) you have been there, all this time, a long time, too me it is amazing , and I certainly have needed your insight, support and words to keep me going , when I do not understand what to do or how to proceed. you are there.

Their are only a few of you have been , always there , and I can never ever forget you . Allen, your anther one too ! Malign, Joeanne, you all are so supportive.

Sue, as you are struggling withyour own deep troubles right now, you always offer kind words to me as well. thank you.

I can't sleep , again. I need to sleep. Draggin out this thread cause I have to try and sleep and i can't . LOL .

Hi Cathy,

Youre always here for us too. Your words and kindness help a lot of people to get through troubled times. you have certainly help keep me going. Your a good friend to me.

Ive been meaning to comment on this thread for some time now, at the moment I have difficulty concentrating on words and stuff, but I do care and would like to help, just not sure how to.

I just hope things ease for you, and soon you feel a lot better.

please take good care of you

for all of us

sue

I just got back from therapy. I talked about what I have been experiencing. The therapist thinkg it might be paic attacks. Because I described going into my car and trying to catch my breath , not being able to ....

He called the front office lady, Alley and asked her if I could see the Pdoc next week . I just saw him last week , now i feel like a total loser . Have to go and see him again .

Will see , what the Dr , thinks , I guess. Since it is not getting better, but worse for me to deal with. Either sensory overload which the therapist did mention too, panic attacks, stress, something bad going on, where I just hate ,despise the outside public places , just too much noises and smells, too many people, and too much stimulation coming at me 1000 times stronger than ever , which is setting off extreme and overwhelming desire to get the hell out of there.