Mental Support Community

Dysthymia

lacyjay87

ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE SAY THEY ARE DEPRESSED AS DO I> ARE WE DEPRESSED OR DO WE HAVE DYSTHYMIA???

tHERE ARE MANY Mind-body techniques TO HELP WITH IT AND ALOT OF GOOD INFO I HAVE PUT DOWN TO DEAL WITH IT

Dysthymia is a mild but chronic form of depression. Dysthymia symptoms usually last for at least two years, and often much longer than that, especially when the condition starts in childhood.

Although the symptoms of dysthymia may be less intense than those of depression, dysthymia can actually affect your life more seriously because it lasts so long. With dysthymia, you may lose interest in normal daily activities, feel hopeless, lack productivity and have a low self-esteem. In general, dysthymia prevents you from living life to its fullest, and your overall quality of life may be low. Dysthymia is also known as dysthymic disorder and sometimes as chronic depression and minor depression.

Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of dysthymia include:

Loss of interest in daily activities

Feeling sad or down

Poor appetite

Overeating

Hopelessness

Sleep problems

Lack of energy

Fatigue

Low self-esteem

Trouble concentrating

Trouble making decisions

Self-criticism

Irritability

Excessive anger

Decreased productivity

Avoiding social activities

Feelings of guilt

Dysthymia symptoms typically come and go over a period of years, and their intensity can change over time, too. But in general, you may find it hard to be upbeat even on happy occasions — you may be characterized as having a gloomy personality.

Causes

It's not known specifically what causes dysthymia. Researchers believe that dysthymia has similar origins as depression, including:

Biochemical. Some evidence from imaging studies indicates that people with depression have physical changes in their brains, and this may be true of dysthymia, too. The significance of these changes is still uncertain but may eventually help pinpoint causes. The naturally occurring brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, which are linked to mood, also may play a role in causing dysthymia.

Genes. Some studies show that depression is more common in people whose biological family members also have the condition, and this also appears to be the case with dysthymia. Researchers are trying to find genes that may contribute to causing dysthymia.

Environment. Again, as with depression, environment may contribute to dysthymia. Environmental causes are situations in your life that are difficult to cope with, such as the loss of a loved one, financial problems and high stress.

Risk factors

Although it's not clear exactly how many people may have dysthymia, evidence suggests that it's more common than is depression. That may be because dysthymia tends to start earlier in life — often in childhood or during the teenage years — and lasts longer than does depression. When dysthymia starts on or before age 21, it's called early-onset dysthymia. When it starts after that, it's called late-onset dysthymia.

Although the precise cause of dysthymia isn't known, researchers have identified certain factors that appear to increase the risk of developing or triggering dysthymia, including:

Having biological relatives with depression

Having biological relatives with dysthymia

Being female

Stressful life events

Having a chronic medical condition

Complications

Complications that dysthymia may cause or be associated with include:

Reduced quality of life

Major depression

Suicidal behavior

Substance abuse

Relationship difficulties

Family conflicts

Social isolation

School and work problems

Decreased productivity

Lifestyle and home remedies

Dysthymia generally isn't an illness that you can treat on your own. But you can do some things for yourself that build on your treatment plan. In addition to professional treatment, follow these lifestyle and self-care steps for dysthymia:

Mind-body techniques are thought to strengthen the communication between your mind and your body. Complementary and alternative medicine practitioners say that these two systems must be in harmony for you to stay healthy or to heal.

Mind-body techniques used to improve dysthymia symptoms can include:

Acupuncture

Yoga

Meditation

Guided imagery

Massage therapy

As with dietary supplements, take care in using these techniques. Although they may pose less of a risk, relying solely on these to treat dysthymia may not be effective enough. If you try mind-body techniques first to treat your dysthymia but your symptoms worsen or don't improve, be sure to consult your health care providers.

Coping and support

Coping with dysthymia can be challenging since it can have such a strong hold on your life. Dysthymia makes it hard to engage in the behavior and activities that may help you feel better. Talk to your doctor or therapist about improving your coping skills, and consider these tips to cope with dysthymia:

Simplify your life. Cut back on obligations when possible, and set reasonable schedules for goals.

Write in a journal to express pain, anger, fear or other emotions.

Read reputable self-help books and consider talking about them to your doctor or therapist.

Don't become isolated. Try to participate in normal activities and get together with family or friends regularly.

Take care of yourself by eating a healthy diet and getting sufficient sleep.

Join a support group for people with depression-related conditions so that you can connect to others facing similar challenges.

Stay focused on your goals. Recovery from dysthymia is an ongoing process. Stay motivated by keeping your recovery goals in mind. Remind yourself that you're responsible for managing your illness and working toward your goals.

Learn relaxation and stress management. Try such stress reduction techniques as meditation, yoga or tai chi.

Structure your time. Plan your day and activities. Try to stay organized. You may find it helpful to make a list of daily tasks.

Prevention

There's no sure way to prevent dysthymia. Because dysthymia often starts in childhood, identifying children at risk of the condition may be of some benefit, though, by encouraging early treatment. Also, taking steps to control stress, to increase your resilience and to boost low self-esteem may help ward off dysthymia symptoms. Friendship and social support, especially in times of crisis, can help you weather rough spells. Also, treatment at the earliest sign of a problem can help prevent dysthymia from worsening. Long-term maintenance treatment also may help prevent a relapse of dysthymia symptoms.

Edited by lacyjay87

Hi

Wow did you swollow a medical book or something ? :D

Well to answer your question, a lot of people on here do actually suffer with/from depression, myself included :)

Your knowlege is good though, and will help a lot of people with either Dysthymia or Depression.

Thanks for sharing

Take care

Jj

Edited by SweetSue

I just wanted to respond that in my personal opinion, I think environment (rather than genetic) has the primary and possibly only cause for dysthmic disorder.

You listed the following:

"Having biological relatives with depression

Having biological relatives with dysthymia

Being female

Stressful life events

Having a chronic medical condition

"

I've had relatives with bouts of depression, but with damn good reason for it. Like getting AIDS from a plasma transfusion after a car accident before any screening took place. I don't think hat's genetic. I am female yes. I've had and do have a ridiculous amount of stressful life events. I also have more than one chronic medical condition (not including psychological in that list).

All of that lends me to believe it's an environmental factor.

Whether I agree with whether I suffer from dysthmic disorder specifically and not depression is another question. I think there are many times when I'd say I suffer both.

Thanks for the read by the way. 'twas interesting for me given Dysthmic Disorder is always the first listed disorder for me on my form when re-applying for Disability status. Of course anyone who reads the form has no clue what it is and the computers aren't equipped to put in anything beyond more basic terms.

Hi

Wow did you swollow a medical book or something ? :D

Well to answer your question, a lot of people on here do actually suffer with/from depression, myself included :(

Your knowlege is good though, and will help a lot of people with either Dysthymia or Depression.

Thanks for sharing

Take care

Jj

I don’t know what I suffer from I just know that I’m not who I used to be.

I’m sorry you suffer from depression it’s horrible

I’m glad I could share!

Whether I agree with whether I suffer from dysthmic disorder specifically and not depression is another question. I think there are many times when I'd say I suffer both.

It is very true that you can/may be suffering from them both...when one suffers from both depression and dysthymia it is called Double depression

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Well if you are struggling with your feelings and are feeling low hun, do you think that maybe it would be a good idea to get yourself checked out by a Doctor.

The Doctor will be able to help you, and be able to evaluate you, and acurately determine what the problem is. And point you in the right direction as in the way forward, ie...... Therapy, meds etc............

Its good to have a interest in Medical Books and even good to occasionally research various illnesses, but sometimes I think medical books just cause more worry and concern. Its never a good idea to self diagnose. Kinda why we have pros', to turn to, its there job :D

Its never a good idea to self diagnose. Kinda why we have pros', to turn to, its there job :D

I know you were being serious with this statement, but I had to laugh lol...no I think your right I do need to go to the doc. I just have so many med bills to pay now, b/c they did a bunch of test on me b/c they thought I had poly cystic ovary syndrome I owe like 2000 bucks. I think owing all that money makes me feel depressed...I’m the type of person who pays things off BAM BAM like that...but we have not even tried to pay them off...it makes me sick to look at our accounts...I think money has become an obsession..I love having it, but I refuse to give it up...I think that’s why we are not poor b/c I don’t allow it to be spent...I think the love of money is a SIN and I don’t like to SIN so that makes me even more sick and worse off.

You know we all from time to time find excuses not to seek the help we need, and even manage to convince ourself that they are valid reasons (something Im guilty of :D)

You have already stated that you are not poor, and that you usually pay off your outstanding debts promptly. So what is it really that is stopping you from seeking the help and support from the proffessionals ?

We all get scared of admitting to the docs we have a problem and that we are not coping very well. With me I was petrified of loosing everything I loved, everything my life stood for. And well in a way I was unfortunately right to a certain degree. But you know what the very thing that I was so scared of loosing is what inspired me and gave me the courage to get the help I needed.

Youre a moma like me right ?

Well my babies were my inspiration, my hope. I always want the best for my babies, how could I of possibly of been the best moma for my kids, if I didnt try and get well myself ?

Part of our role as a moma is to set a good example to our kiddies, and I guess in a way I hope that is what I am doing currently.

All I am trying to say, in my usual confusing round about way is, well maybe if you work out what scares you most when it comes to getting the help you deserve, then maybe we can help you overcome that fear :(

BTW, if it werent for the support I recieved when I first joined this community I would never of had the courage to go to the docs.

Hope what I have tried to say makes some sort of sense ~ one of them days for me (hey hum)

Take care

Jj

So what is it really that is stopping you from seeking the help and support from the proffessionals ?

Ok this is the real reason why: what if I go to these clinics and they find out I’m mental or depressed or Bp or something then they might try to say I’m an unfit mother and try to take her. Jayden has a bath twice a day...Jayden gets her diaper changed even if there is a drop of pee she has never had a rash. Her hair is always done clothes brand new and fantastic and clean, shoes out of this world. I don’t have a dang thing to wear my shoes have holes all in them and my pants and shirts are stained, but my daughter has the best. We choose to have little so Jayden can have a lot...I have taught her manners and colors and shapes and I got her “your baby can read” bc I already care about her education..She is so loved and well taken care. I could not imagine them taking her form me and placing her with someone who just let her do her own thing all day, did not change her diaper until it sagged, did not teach her, and did not love her like me....If the docs think there is something wrong with me they probably won’t hesitate to take my daughter. I’m ok with moderate depression as long as I have my baby. The people around here let their kids run wild and dirty they stink and they are not taken care of…good example: My friend’s daughter. I watch her often and she loves it with me. She wants to be held and played with and taught and read too, and no one but me does that for her. When she is with me it is from 7am until 9-10pm for a few days at a time. She won’t have a rash, but next time she comes back she does. They can keep a thing of diapers 40-60 diapers for a month…..now me...I run out of 40-60 diapers in a few weeks. SORRY THESE ARE MY FEARS….I would not be able to live if my daughter was not here

Youre married ~ right ?

Not every person with a mental health issue, looses there children because of their illness.

Crap this is a raw subject for me, so I will try and be as possitive as I can :D

The thing is NO ONE is saying that coz your struggling emotionally that it makes you an unfit moma. Youre baby wont be taken from you just for visiting your doctor and recieving the support that you need. Do you realise how many momas actually suffer with depression or something related ? Well its really quite common. But it is possible, with the aid of meds, therapy help and support whilst feeling low, to be a perfectly capable moma, and have your baby at home with you. Loads of people suffer with one form or other with ill health, just coz they are ill dosnt mean they are unfit as parents.

But, if you dont seek the advice and the support and the medical attention, things could get worse, and then what happens ????

I dont know the right words, this is very raw and close to my heart (long story). Find your inner strength, courage and determination and just make an appointment to see your dr.

Sorry, I would like to be able to help you further, but this subject is just too much for me today.

I wish you well :(

take care

Jj

Youre married ~ right ?

Not every person with a mental health issue, looses there children because of their illness.

Crap this is a raw subject for me, so I will try and be as possitive as I can :D

The thing is NO ONE is saying that coz your struggling emotionally that it makes you an unfit moma. Youre baby wont be taken from you just for visiting your doctor and recieving the support that you need. Do you realise how many momas actually suffer with depression or something related ? Well its really quite common. But it is possible, with the aid of meds, therapy help and support whilst feeling low, to be a perfectly capable moma, and have your baby at home with you. Loads of people suffer with one form or other with ill health, just coz they are ill dosnt mean they are unfit as parents.

But, if you dont seek the advice and the support and the medical attention, things could get worse, and then what happens ????

I dont know the right words, this is very raw and close to my heart (long story). Find your inner strength, courage and determination and just make an appointment to see your dr.

Sorry, I would like to be able to help you further, but this subject is just too much for me today.

I wish you well :(

take care

Jj

yes im married, well im glad to know that they wont just jump to taking her from me...I guess if that part of it is held tight then i will go to the doctors

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Lacey and everyone

I want to clarify some important points:

1. Dysthymia is depression.

Do not be fooled by the term "milder depression." The fact is that dysthymia runs along a continuum from mild to extremely serious incuding suicide. It all depends on the person. It's like getting the flu. Some people get the flu and its mild. Others get the same flu and its very serious and even dangerous.

2. If people had their children taken away because they have dysthymia, major depression, a personality disorder, etc, then, there would be no children living at home. Fear not. Just because you go for therapy does not at all mean that anyone will take anything from you (except your money to pay the bill ;) )

I hope this calms you. "You have nothing to fear but fear itself."

Allan :D

Thank you Allan. What I had always read was what you just wrote. And I started to wonder, after what I read first, why my doctor would list it first if it wasn't my most serious condition (that the Government would understand anyway - since BPD is not understood). It's there to be listed as the most debilitating also and sorry to say, but "mild depression" just didn't seem to fit that bill.

Hi Lacey and everyone

I want to clarify some important points:

1. Dysthymia is depression.

Do not be fooled by the term "milder depression." The fact is that dysthymia runs along a continuum from mild to extremely serious incuding suicide. It all depends on the person. It's like getting the flu. Some people get the flu and its mild. Others get the same flu and its very serious and even dangerous.

2. If people had their children taken away because they have dysthymia, major depression, a personality disorder, etc, then, there would be no children living at home. Fear not. Just because you go for therapy does not at all mean that anyone will take anything from you (except your money to pay the bill :D )

I hope this calms you. "You have nothing to fear but fear itself."

Allan :)

thanks for that.

is it true that Dysthymia is in fact most of the time worse than depression.

• 1 month later...

ya know, ive never felt responsible for my depression, its always tormented me to be told to ''snap out of it'' I dont feel like ive anything to do with it, its chemistry, altho cognitive thinking can help me cope with it. no cure for me it seems, especially if the cure means to be vibrant and plugged into life with lots of friends and activities, i dont want that. so now what. :eek:

I think I have suffered from dysthymia most of my life now that I know about it, and I managed to raise 2 kids on my own. I was diagnosed with depression off and on, but mostly when I was suffering from severe bouts of depression I think. I have seen doctors on and off about depression for years and I assure you that this does not mean you will have your kids taken away.

The information you provide to your doctor and your medical relationship is protected by law under the privacy act (in Canada at least), and the only way social services interferes is when there are serious issues for the kids, where they are being severely neglected or abused, or you are hospitalized for long periods with no one to take care of them.

Go get the help you need, I consider that it is actually a gift you are giving you family...

Best wishes

Symora

I'm sorry that you are in pain, catsirish. Maybe recognizing your pain and discovering where it is coming from would help to ease it some. Talking about things can be helpful. Have you been doing this with someone? Are you in therapy? I find it very sad that you haven't considered what you want in life. :) Why is it that you feel nothing is worth having?

I wonder what you mean by where we are at is "no place"? Is that where you feel you are?

Hmm..joy is only chemistry? Are you talking about "in love" chemicals released in the brain? If the feelings are true, when those chemicals die down, the love and attachment remain with us. Love will still be very joyous. It's just more serene.

What things in life bring you joy, catsirish? What is beautiful to you? What about even your avatar? I think that is quite pretty with the blue candle. Don't you?

I hope you feel better soon.

I can relate to that. Intellectually I tell myself that I really don't have any problems, life is good, I have everything I need, but emotionally I feel like nothing matters and the only emotion I really feel is pain. You are not alone in that... I wonder if it's because the negative emotions are so powerful that they overshadow any positive emotion I could feel.... I have often wondered about that.

I've decided to work on that in 2010. Finding some things that I enjoy doing, and working on my self esteem. I think I feel lousy about life because I feel lousy about myself. So I'm going to use my overactive brain next year to discover more about those thing.... question of shifting the focus.

I also think that positive readings and affirmations are helpful. They keep the mind focused in the right direction, sort of the purpose of prayer as well, it refocuses the mind towards gratitude and hope.

Salut Symora

gosh, thank you so much for your reply, especially the bit about me not been alone, god knows ive tried everything, ive read a thousand books, ive listened to a thousand tapes over and over and over, i take meds and thyroid, and omg have i prayed, and begged and pleaded. i would never consider suicide because im aware this is a mental illness, strangly i am very grateful for my blessings and there is many. the struggle just bugs the hell out of me. i know what i need to do, but i dont last long with the amount of effort it takes for me to get from this moment to the next moment............im listening to Wayne Dyer right now. ive changed a lot these past 5 years on this journey to find out what this black hole is. ........crazy isnt it. :eek: