Mental Support Community

Diagnosed with depression... Last night

AmyeH

Guest ASchwartz

AmeyEH,

Most of us are resistent to advice. That is why Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is helpful. Instead of advice, it rests of you, the client, learning how to modify your thinking so that you can feel better. There are lots of self help books on this and self help manuals in the library and in book stores.

Allan:)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Allan.

Well, now will have to be the change with my psychologist. It's good I've only seen him once so far and he's a permanent one now, so will be good to start off the second session in knowing more already about what the deal is with me.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi AmyE,

None of us here are medication experts. But, as a layman, it sounds good to me. Just be sure to ask your psychiatrist any questions you may think of and quickly let him know if you have side effects. I am not saying you will but its common. The psychiatrists always want to know about side effects.

Good luck with your psychologist. Just one meeting so far? Way to soon for you to know.

Allan :rolleyes:

I did a bit of a silly thing and started looking via searching on Google for people's experiences with this medication and there was a hell of a lot of negatives and hardly anything positive being said about it.

Hi again Amy,

Don't stress about the Paxil, really. It's an AD (anti-depressant) with a very good anti-anxiety action as well, so is a very good choice for anxiety and preferable to taking benzodiazepines over the long term.

Paxil has gathered some notoriety over its withdrawal syndrome. I am on Efexor which has also gathered a bad rep over its withdrawal syndrome. The solution, when you want to come off it, is just to taper off slowly. Of course there will be those few with dramatic, terrible, dreadful SEs and of course they will be on the Net talking about it. :( (I'm not saying they don't happen, but they are rare and you need only a few, for the rumours to fly - "that drug is dangerous!" blah blah.

I would venture to guess that vast majority of those for whom Paxil is working just fine, are not sitting on the Net typing up horror stories, they're out enjoying their lives again. Statistically you're most likely to have a good experience. If you read the entire package insert for any of these meds, you'd never take any of them - and for the VAST majority of people they may have a few SEs like the ones you mentioned for a week or two and then nothing after that. Some get a few SEs that linger and then it comes down to whether it is tolerable for you or not.

My pdoc is currently tapering me off Efexor and is doing it very slowly, at half a dose step per month. (That is unusually slow but I'm not complaining.) I've been on and off this med before and I know that at this slow rate I'm not going to have any withdrawal problems this time. It's a great idea to taper off the Alprazolam too, as your doc has suggested, take it less often and that will smooth coming off that too. When you stop taking a benzo you may get a little rebound insomnia or anxiety initially - it passes, it doesn't mean your anxiety has come back and it goes away again, your body is just re-adjusting itself. Don't ever cold-turkey off a benzo, it's not fun. Taper off.

I also would like to say that it's not bad to look up things on the Net (I do it a lot) - just read with discernment and remember the stats. My daughter began on Zoloft, another med in the same class and she didn't have a single SE.

Sorry about all that text; I'm very interested in medications and how they work (and have been on so many, as my bipolar is treatment-resistant) that I don't need much of a excuse to start typing up med info. :)

May the stats be with you!

Hi Amy

I'm so sorry you are not doing well on Paxil. But you gave it a try and a good one at that. Tell your pdoc you would like to switch to another because these side effects are unacceptable.

It is so hard, we all react so differently to meds and some of us are just so sensitive.

But there are so many to try and you have to stick with your pdoc and communicate that it is unacceptable to have these side effects so when he gives you the next one and you feel bad tell him you will be calling him as soon as possible to switch again!!!

Guest ASchwartz

Amyeh,

It is not a hopeless situation though I can understand your frustration. Yes, you do need fuel for you body. Can you force yourself to eat, a little at a time all day long?

Allan

Amye, I'm so sorry you feel so bad! Surely call the pdoc.! I'm afraid he will insist on his decision, but... maybe you could consult another one :confused:. Just to know other opinion. (We can't tell you if there is a chance your side-effects will go away soon...)

I would like so much to recommend you the med I take, because it works so greatly for me and from what I've read, it only rarely has some side-effects except for a big apetite (which wouldn't be a problem for you :D)... But I'm sure that doctors don't like when patients tell them which med they'd like to try, so... it would be useless :P

I wish you good luck!!! I feel for you... :)

Amye, I'm glad you're thinking is such a positive way; it surely is important and good for you! I don't want to induce any fear or panic in you by my worrying posts. But... I still think it would be better to at least consult your present state. I don't know anything about such situations, so I worry that it might get worse and... when feeling too bad, how would you call help? Please, don't think this way as I do now, but... also try to think about the call. Maybe not to the emergency, but to a psychological helpline. Maybe they would be better guys to talk to in such a situation. They could tell you if it's necessary to call the emergency. What do you think?

You are not overreacting. Stop taking it. That would be my advice. Those SEs do sound serious and shouldn't carry on this long. Call him in the morning and say you stopped taking it. You've toughed it out enough and breathing and heartbeat are not something you mess around with.

I can't say if other SSRIs are the same, you'd have to ask the pdoc. But there are several other classes of ADs.

Don't take another dose...

Hi, Amye,

I don't have advises or comments on the meds - you'll se if they'll work for you. I hope mainly that the SEs will not be so bad!!!

It's great that you had your sister with you and managed the appointment so well! And I think it's definitely true that it's better for you to be around people. Not because of "monitoring your eating" (how strange! :rolleyes:), but because it's benefical for the mood.

Wouldn't your sister appreciate your help with her baby? ;)

Good luck! And keep posting!

Phew. I am relieved to hear from you. I don't know what time zone you're in so I started wondering why you hadn't written and after you mentioned about the breathing and heartbeat.... well I got worried. Glad you're OK.

SO glad you saw the pdoc. Did he say you have to give it a week for the sertraline/Zoloft as well? Hope not, for your sake, if you have the SEs again. He is ramping you up a little slower this time, which sounds good. The SSRIs are all different in what works with who, so you'll have to wait and see. Best of luck!

Archived