Mental Support Community

thinking process question

randomperson

Have not started a new thread in a bit but didn't know where this would fit in.

This is more of a curious question.

I think all the time.. I mean literally. One thought chains off of another non stop from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. Not always bad, certainly not crazy all the time lol.. just thoughts. Most of the time it is talking things out in my head mentally thinking the words just like I am typing now.

I always did this ever since I can remember and always thought it to be normal what everyone does, how everyone thinks.. but last night it got brought up in a conversation somehow and I was told it is not normal.

So I thought this would be the perfect place to ask.. is this normal?

..I will say it is tiring.. and what causes many of my emotional problems.

I worry so much because I am always thinking, my mind always churns away at things. If it isn't normal maybe there is a way to stop it.

It is absolutely normal randomperson, most people think about things...of course they have times where they just dont think too much, but people are different and specially when they have a lot on their mind they are thinking a lot lot....I go around having thoughts too, sometimes I talk to myself like recalling what someone has said..like my husband ..lol....so its far from unatural to think much...I would say if one doesnt think that would be not normal...lol

I will say it is tiring.. and what causes many of my emotional problems.

I don't think the question is whether this is "normal", but more of whether it has been causing you distress. If it has been causing you anxiety or discomfort, it might be something to try to lessen. I know, at times, I have had the very same thing, and it can become intrusive and distressful for me. Has this been bothering you, randomperson? Interfering with your everyday activities? If so, have you tried some methods of self-calming? If this hasn't been causing you distress then I wouldn't consider it a concern. How do you feel about this?

Hey Randomperson,

Just because one person says it isn't 'normal' doesn't mean that it is not. Not to say that your mom isn't, but you can't take your whole life actions and discredit to one person's opinion.

I do this all the time also. I am constantly thinking about conversations I am trying to remember, what I am going to say or write to some one or what ever, it doesn't matter, my mind is constantly going. This is why (even though my husband doesn't understand why) I keep the TV on in the room. It helps to distract me so that I am not hyper focusing on little noises that take away from thoughts and it helps me to shut my brain off so I can read or crochet or other things. But again, if is causing you distress than you should look at making a change, if it isn't than it doesn't matter, now does it?

I'm with IrmaJean: "normal" isn't a meaningful word; we humans are too diverse. I myself think quite a bit, I would say. The question is, does it bother you, in isolation from the opinions of others?

My own experience is that it's not so much all the thinking that's a problem, if your brain works that way. What can be a problem is why you're so urgently thinking. If the reason is anxiety, in other words if the thinking is really worrying, then maybe that should be addressed. That way, without the driving force of anxiety, you get to choose whether to think all the time ...

For me, when I got "permission" from myself to stop thinking all the time, it was a huge relief. I still think quite a bit; I rather enjoy it. But I no longer feel like that mode of brain activity, the one that puts everything into words, is the only one I'm capable of, any more. Now I can just sit and look at things and enjoy them without words and analysis.

The way I express it: I found that I'm not the thought, I am the Thinker. And that gives me permission to also be the Imaginer and the Feeler.

For me, when I got "permission" from myself to stop thinking all the time, it was a huge relief. I still think quite a bit; I rather enjoy it. But I no longer feel like that mode of brain activity, the one that puts everything into words, is the only one I'm capable of, any more. Now I can just sit and look at things and enjoy them without words and analysis.

The way I express it: I found that I'm not the thought, I am the Thinker. And that gives me permission to also be the Imaginer and the Feeler.

Thanks everyone. That is the odd part, it is about the only way I do think. Likely not all the time I'm sure that has to be false thoughts I have, maybe it is even much less than I think.. but I know I do it very often to the point I think it is constant.

It does bother me some. I grow tired of it because it feeds the emotional problems I have.

I want to thank Randomperson for the Topic & Everyone for Excellent Reply's.

I to deal with the same issue. It is Normal. However I also Know my own False Anxieties & Depression Fuel more Thought's & to Often Negativity.

Fear is Such a Huge Factor in much of this. Whether it is fear of Homelessness, No Job, Lonliness, Money, Missunderstanding, Losing it in Public, any number of Things, Situations & Reasons. Fear of the Unknown.

Just putting my Body in Motion to go along with my Mind would help many times. My Mind to Often keeps me from Everyday Living.

It is funny how I know the Answers to many of my Questions, Fears, Anxiety & Depression but I dont act on it. At 52yrs. old im certainly more Wise & Calm than when I was 20 yrs. old. But I also am certainly not where I wanted to be at this Stage of my Life.

Sometimes just To Much Thinking & Not Enough Doing. But im still here & Alive so there is always Hope. As long as we have the Ability to Think there is Hope for Change. Sorry Everyone Just writing as I was Thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived