Mental Support Community

-Is it Impossible to Help You-?-

KINDNESSTHERAPY

Things seem to have settled down for everybody concerned, perhaps everybody can use this forum to discuss an interesting point of few. I have been trying to get my ideas of helping human beings with mental illness etc., too no advail because I might be addressing this issue all wrong.

What if people with mental illness deep down for whever reasons are more comfortable living with mental illness instead of gambling with the unknown of real recovery? I have made the statement that I have seen only 2% of people with serious mental illness obtain real success at real recovery, if this is true then you have too ask yourself. How is this figure of 2% success rate possible with all the money and effort etc... PS, please accept this low number and discuss how this might be possible?

What if people with mental illness deep down for whever reasons are more comfortable living with mental illness instead of gambling with the unknown of real recovery?

What if ppl like u stop bothering ppl with mental illness. U sould measure ur words before u post shit like that.

I knew i souldnt enter ur posts, but the fuking title anoyed me and as espected ur post was even better than the tittle full of shit.

I agree with pseudome.

please accept this low number and discuss

How could we accept it only based on "your experience" :confused:? And... can you imagine how this could make some (or many) people with a mental illness feel if they accepted this horrible perspective??

You say:

I have seen only 2% of people with serious mental illness obtain real success at real recovery

This suggests a harsh question: Wasn't it among the people YOU tried to treat?

I'm sorry that all these conversations on this forum are so unpleasant for you as anybody doesn't accept you and your effort and we don't understand well the way you're trying to help :(. Me, I suppose you have good intentions, just the way you express them seem strange and often inappropriate to the majority if not all of us. That's why I'm sad that the only effect (I know about) so far is that you make people here angry, frustrated, sad, overly questioning their behavior toward you, ...

I'm gonna give it a try and answer to your question, 'a bit' modified: Why there are many people who don't recover from a mental illness - is it related to the fact that they're more comfortable living with the mental illness?

I don't know if you ask only to induce a debate (knowing the answer) or you really have no idea. Because you mentioned that you have a training in some kind of therapy. And any training should include also theory and history of psychology and therapy and it was already Freud who noticed that patients have benefits from their illnesses or symptoms and these constitute the base of one of the so called resistances. Etc. Anybody can search the web for more info, I don't have time to explain it, sorry :)... And... it's also important to distinguish people with mental illness and with some kind of mental problem - and the cause of those. The illness can be mostly related to some chemical imbalance, to a physiological problem - and there the question/problem is mostly related to the non-ideal state of the pharmacotherapy. ...

So I would say there are many aspects of the problem you mentioned. How do you see it? ... (To be honest, I'm a bit afraid you're going to talk here about the "fact" that if somebody is mentally ill, it's actually his own fault as it means he doesn't want to be healed. We had/have another member here who spread this "theory" here and... she has encountered similar disapproval as you've often has so far...)

I have few things I would like to add to all your previous posts, including the last one. I think you were already told by other people that a lot of members of this site need and rely on mental help. Once again, you really need to stop posting false information. Members of this site have been getting a lot of support from other members which helps a lot. It really does. This site is not a substitute for therapy, it is an additional source of support and help.

I am going to ask you few questions. I think I already did this in the past, but I am really trying to figure out WHY:

1. You are so frustrated with MH professionals???(actually angry would be a better word).

2. Is your goal to tell people that most of them are not going to get well???

3. And again, why did you pick KINDNESSTHERAPY as your nickname? Don't you think that it is kind of cynical????

I am sure that you can contribute to this site, just please stop posting offensive threads.:)

Things seem to have settled down for everybody concerned, perhaps everybody can use this forum to discuss an interesting point of few. I have been trying to get my ideas of helping human beings with mental illness etc., too no advail because I might be addressing this issue all wrong.

What if people with mental illness deep down for whever reasons are more comfortable living with mental illness instead of gambling with the unknown of real recovery? I have made the statement that I have seen only 2% of people with serious mental illness obtain real success at real recovery, if this is true then you have too ask yourself. How is this figure of 2% success rate possible with all the money and effort etc... PS, please accept this low number and discuss how this might be possible?

Hi, KINDNESSTHERAPY

Im actually lost for words. :)

Have you ever been mentally unwell ?

Coz seriously being mentally unwell is no more a choice than any other illness. And for the record, Im not 'comfortable' with the insinuations that you are making :mad:

Do you realise how upsetting your words are?.

Hi Kindness.

Many members of this community are struggling with mental illness. It can be quite painful reading about oneself in terms of numbers and percentages. Or being told that illness is something that one has become comfortable with...

I'm not saying that you intend any harm with such thoughts, but this can indeed be hurtful to those who are suffering. I think one of the best ways to be kind to others is to listen, to hear them, to sit with them in their pain, to share humanity and to be with them as a fellow human being. We all suffer at times. We only have each other.

I'm studying in school right now to become a therapist myself. I read a lot of factual information about illnesses, causes, statistics, psychological approaches...Having information is a great thing. It's a tool you can use as a guide to help you to best understand how to help others. But I think it's most important to remember the humanity and individuality of the people we talk to. We're all on the path, we're walking together, and we're all doing our best.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Kindness,

It is correct that some of the mentally ill would rather hang on to their illness than cure it because their lives with the illness are familar. That is one of the reasons why it is difficult for any of us to change, even when changing is good for us.

However, I really don't know if your 2% recovery rate is accurate and, you are attributing the reasons for a low rate to things that may not be true. In other words, there are multiple reasons why treatment of the psychoses is difficult. For instance, mri brain studies indicate that shizophreni is not one disease entity but is many so that some people respond better to current treatments than others because they have a different schizophrenia. Only furter rearch will answer these types of questions. Then, too, family support makes a big difference. Those with psychosis who have warm and supportive families who remain involved do better than those who do not. Sadly, too many families refuse to deal with and understand their mentally ill members. There is also the issue of medication and treatment compliance. Those who stop their medications and therapy decompensate and end up back in the hospital.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

Allan

Your past comments and this post have proven to me that you are unable to think outside the box that the mental health industry has forced on you. Since it will do neither of us any good to continue this line of thinking, good luck and -God- bless...

First of all, I'm not influenced by any "mental health industry" and I'm quite sure nobody of us is! All the people who communicated with you here were or are in therapy and thus know well how it goes and don't need any "mental health industry - derived" info as they / we have out personal experience both with mental problems and the help provided by real professionals (as well as with the help provided by our peers in this community!!!).

I'm glad to hear you decided to leave these forums. I hope I understood your message right and you won't return with similar posts and won't force us that way to permanently ban you...

Good luck.

Your past comments and this post have proven to me that you are unable to think outside the box that the mental health industry has forced on you. Since it will do neither of us any good to continue this line of thinking, good luck and -God- bless...

Do you get some sense of accomplishment by typing insults at people you dont know and have never met?

Its not a very kind thing to do is it really - especially as the name you chose to use here is KINDNESSTHERAPY - kinda ironic dont ya think?

Archived