Mental Support Community

This place is amazing

Merlin

This is my fourth post here, but I feel like these forums really have a lot to offer and I hope that I can contribute to that. I just welcomed someone in the New Members section, but I couldn't really relate to the trouble she was going through. I just wanted to help even though I felt slightly incapable. Just recently I got into a discussion on facebook and with the best intentions I still managed to upset and even insult the person I was talking to... I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with good intentions and helping people and that sort of stuff.

After rereading what I just wrote, it all seems rather incoherent. Oh well, I guess I'm just trying to gage how awesome this place really is and I just want to spark up a conversation about, well,.. this forum! How many people are here? How long has this forum been around? I'm curious and I want to contribute! Show me the way, you Senior members! :D

Hey, Merlin, nice to hear you like it here, too!! :)

Well, many of us know the feelings you describe! It's often not easy to bring something really helpful, but... I would say that... "the rule", at least for me, is to try and not to overy doubt about if it will or will not be helpful. Mostly when talking to somebody I don't know yet - then I only can speculate and presume and I can often be "out" (out of "topic") with my reply, but this can at least provoke the person to write more about him/her-self and this allows us to understand more and then be more insightful. We also neen not to have too big ambitions as... we are not professionals (and even the professionals cannot do miracles :() and also this kind of communication (by internet) has its limits. I think one of the big powers of this place is that we are many here (you ask how many - but this is hard to estimate as the number of active users you can see on the bottom of the main page of the forums includes also people who posted once or twice and didn't come back, so...) and so the majority of members receive more than one answer - thus several points of view and several words of support. Yes, support is one of the key words - we mostly don't give advises but we can offer sympathy, carring, support, understanding, ... - and many people miss this in their lifes so receiving this at least here can be... important... :o (I know this also from my own experiences of such receiving, of course!! :))

Lala3, I guess you're right that even though the advice that you give might be off, it's the gesture that counts. Making the recipient feel supported and understood can't always be easy, but when your intentions are pure, I think it's just bound to come across exactly so. It's with that perspective I approach my writing as well. I'm not a literature-buff, but want my writing to be a means to achieve a noble goal. To make life easier and to promote love.

I do believe that every single person has the potential to do miraculous things, all that is required for that is faith, perseverance and well, maybe some other things too :( Support from your environment is definatly required too, that's why I'm so grateful I found this place. :)

eppursimuove, it's actually not just my nickname, but my real name too. :o It has grown on me tremendously throughout the years.

Lana73, I'm really happy I stumbled onto this place. It serves a great function in society, not everyone can afford professional support... and not everyone gets the support they need from those around them. It is with this positive attitude I want to change myself and the world I live in, even if it is just my direct surroundings. I'm afraid I'll soon be unable to post much anymore since I'll be leaving for New Zealand in 2 weeks and I'm not taking my laptop with me. It's heavy and I want to travel light. I will however check in here, each time I am able to get online. Anyways, I hope to get to know you all better in those 2 weeks I have left. :)

I wish I had more time to post here... I'm leaving in 11 days to go travelling on the otherside of the globe for a year and the preparations and goodbye's are taking up most of my time. I feel like there is lots I still want to ask and say and that I won't be able to ask and say these things once I've gone, since I'll have even less time then. I saw a movie two days ago called "Peaceful Warrior". It was very inspiring and I've finished reading my mindfulness book. Both really got me to review what I've been doing lately and it turns out even though I try really hard to be conscious about my actions, I've still been reacting a lot and wasting a lot of time. I've been sleeping a lot lately.. I think I'm going to go post some of the things I want to ask and say in the General Support area... See if my mind can formulate some of the thoughts that inhabit it...

• 1 month later...

I have been here for over 3 months and was thinking yesterday how much this site has changed the way I think and deal with what life throws at me. I still have to overcome my OCD, my obsessive thinking, but I feel that being part of this community enriched my life.

There are a lot of similar sites that are bigger and have more members, but this place feels incredibly safe and so comforting.

Just felt like saying this today :P

I've been here nearly 2 1/2 years and I have grown to care a great deal about this community. I've "met" so many wonderful people from around the world who have touched my heart. I've shared some beautiful friendships that have helped me to grow as a human being. I've learned a lot about myself. I've made mistakes and have learned to have compassion for myself, to get back up and keep trying. There have been times when I've been struggling and was then able to find my way back to the light. I'm more open and aware now. I am able to express myself here in a way that has always been a struggle for me in the past. I have found my voice. Offering comfort and support to others has been a gift to me. Receiving support has also been a gift. In the past I've had difficulty with receiving.

Thank you.

Pizza and orange juice are great too. :P

I have been here for a while , I always visit and look at the titles to threads, If i think I can offer some support or feedback I will respond. I agree that it is a good place to come and talk about things or share feedback from your own experiences. I do not start many threads anymore as I use to, but will if I needed to. So many people have come and gone here, thats what makes this community interesting. I know who are the old timers are , and it igreat they are still here. I will admit their are some threads I will not even read, but then their are that i absolutely can relate to.

Archived