Mental Support Community
Victimorthecrime

Planning. I'm not good at it.

I quit my job yesterday because of that backward macho environment. It was one stupid remark and sideways look too many. I'm in the process of writing a message to the manager above my manager. The person I'm supposed to tell if my work environment is toxic was the person making it toxic. I'm not gonna repeat the incident publicly because it was the most embarrassing thing anyone has ever said to me. I walked out the fucking door because of it, right before Christmas as well. Not only do these places exist where it's ok to push people to the brink of a breakdown, it's commonplace. It was immediate and prolonged. How is this acceptable in 2017?

I'm sorry man. I hope my complainings didn't affect your decision. I have bad days where I want to kill everyone and selfishly post about it on here. I completely understand being pushed to the brink. I could write pages of my thoughts on this topic but what's the point. I hope it all works out for the best. 

I don't know, Victim. It got to the point where my bills were superceded by my mental health. I had a day where my suicidal thoughts started to make sense and feel like it'd be an actual relief. It was quit or go somewhere I wasn't prepared to go. I'm still really tired as I'm not sleeping much atm. 

My sympathies buddy. That pretty well sums up my career. It isn't very uncommon for guys in my profession to have PTSD symptoms by their mid-thirties, I've known a couple. One works at a hardware store now as a forklift driver. In practice, there's no difference at all between unbridled corporatism and communism. A brutal struggle to the top by climbing over everyone else's corpse. Read stories of working at Amazon and the turnover rate. The workforce is filled with sociopaths who cry out in pain as they're stabbing you in the back with a pitchfork. At least uk has better social welfare than us, so I'm told. 

There are big changes going on where I work that have me upset. I will post about it on my Job Fears thread.  

Sorry to hear what you are going thru YOTH.  You have always been supportive and kind and hope you find a better job soon if that's what you want.  

Klingsor every word you say reflects my thoughts exactly.  I am actively brainstorming ways I could be less stressed but coming up empty.  Our system is vicious and it sucks.  

@YOTH@Klingsor@Victimorthecrime it sounds like all three of you work in a pretty rough environment and I am truly sorry for that. I can't imagine what that type of work environment can do to you mentally and physically. While my job may not be perfect, if I compare it to what it sounds like you guys are going through then I apparently have it pretty good.

My only recommendation to you guys is to be diligent about getting out of those toxic environments and know that there are jobs out there without that type of poisonous atmosphere. We spend a lot of our lives at work and to spend this much time in a place with the levels of hostility that you guys have described will surely wear on you. I'm not telling you to quit without a fallback but I do recommend actively looking for other opportunities.

I have been a manager for many years and I feel like/hope that I have helped many people with career decisions, interview skills, and resume reviews. If there's ever anything that I can do to assist you guys please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Thanks @lostboy1 I might take you up on that.  

Did I mention this before?  Currently I am assigned to one huge account and it is in Texas!  Some of the nicest people in the world in Texas.  

I don't hate my job but I dislike the company.  

Feeling a bit better at the moment, partly 'cause tomorrow is the last day before a nice break for the holiday.  I love time off.  I love being able to do whatever I want vs what someone else tells me to do.  

@Small I really wish I could work from home but I have no idea what to do, what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm toying with the idea of being a self employed delivery driver, but my car would probably explode after a week or two. 

46 minutes ago, YOTH said:

@Small I really wish I could work from home but I have no idea what to do, what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I'm toying with the idea of being a self employed delivery driver, but my car would probably explode after a week or two. 

I work in gaming psychology & games design. The driving sounds good Yoth. Maybe a welcomed break from assholes giving you a hard time? I personally don't enjoy driving because I worry behind the wheel. But if you don't have those issues then great. Last week a pretty blonde delivery woman dropped off my amazon package and i envied that she got so much open road & time with her thoughts.

12 hours ago, Victimorthecrime said:

Did I mention this before?  Currently I am assigned to one huge account and it is in Texas!  Some of the nicest people in the world in Texas. 

Thanks! There's some good people here but it's like everywhere else, there are bad as well.

Texas has the "southern hospitality" thing going for it.

Hopefully you'll find a better company to work for in the future. They're out there but probably harder to find than I realize.