Mental Support Community

memories

Endlessnight

Oh, yeah; Ramadan... :(

BTW; I know about it as my husband has a Muslim colleague and they talk a lot also about "such issues". They (-he and his wife) invited us to dinner one Friday during Ramadan, they want us to taste some traditional food (he said we have to eat a lot :D) and see the way they serve it. (I'm a bit nervous about it as I've never met them and I generally don't enjoy visiting unknown people... They also have a little kid and that can be an advantage (people are often more cheerful when there is a kid), but maybe also a problem (if the kid somehow misbehaved or didn't like us).)

But I'm mentioning it mostly because my husband heard from that colleague that water and medications aren't prohibited and that also people who are not able to fast because of medical condition or age (as children, the elderly, pregnant women, ill people) don't have to!!! So, it's strange and very sad that in SA, the interpretation of this tradition is so different - so absurdly strict!! :( But... I wonder if there is not a possibility to find out "the truth" - look in Koran (where else??) and see how it is there - maybe you would find out that you don't have to fast and that not drinking is bullshit (-sorry for the word :o) - that only some local authorities in SA decided to change the tradition into something they like more (for some absurd reason). I'm probably quite naive, but... I would still want to know how it really is!

Edited by LaLa3
some changes

Thank you all so much for your support. It's a hard time for me because I spend the month lying sneaking around. It's also hard because everyone else is so happy it's here - even though it's tough to go without food or water for 15 hours, still they welcome it, as a month in which all sins are forgiven and as a time to forget about worldly things such as food, sex, etc and concentrate on worship. I admire that so much and just wish I could feel the same.

Lala actually your husband's friend is wrong. Fasting means nothing can enter your mouth from sunup to sunset: not water, not meds, not food, not cigarettes, nothing. If a person is ill, and needs to take his medication, that is okay, he doesn't have to fast, but he must make up the missed fast at a later date or pay for the iftar (breakfast) of a needy person for every day he didn't fast. You could say that your husband's friend is like a lot of non practising Christians, who interpret their religion liberally I guess, there are muslims like that too.

I think you should go, Lala. Breaking fast, for muslims, is a joyous occasion, and I think you will enjoy it too.

Luna, that's where the lying and sneaking around comes in, and part of what makes Ramadan so stressful for me. I do take my meds, so I'm not fasting, though my family think I am, so basically I spend the month lying to everyone.

Yes, food is different during Ramadan. We eat at sunrise and that is usually sambosa - meat or chicken or vegetable filled fried pastries and dates coffee and sherba, which is made from meat and oats. Restaurants are closed during the day and open after sunset.

I'm sorry, M., I was mistaken in the interpretation of what my husband told me about it :o ... Yes, he also mentioned that those who cannot fast have to do it another time (but I still don't know what about the chronically ill!!!). But my interpretation was that it's the case of those who need to eat and/or take meds, not also of those who need just water - and now I know (as I asked him about it) that the issue about water was just my misinterpretation. Oh, well... what a shame... But I still think that you could at least drink and take meds now, maybe even eat, and then "compensate for it" by "fasting" (except for the meds, of course) in another time of the year - not in summer when not drinking for so many hours is even dangerous.

But I realize that those are, once again, just my fantasies and it would be probably very hard for you to do it - it would bring one more complication (explain it to your family and then pretend to fast completely sometimes in winter)... So, please, take this just as an explanation of my thoughts and, mostly, mistakes, not as an attempt to advise!

I hope you'll adjust soon...

Take care!

P.S.: And, of course, we wouldn't refuse the invitation for dinner :). I'm even quite curious about the traditions and the meals! It's just a bit uncomfortable for me to visit new people - and my husband has (in general) even stronger feelings (anxieties etc.) about visits and other social occasions, so... I'll be there probably in the role of the "support", not of the "supported" ;). The strange thing is that I know the colleague very well from what my husband says me about him every day (!) for over 1,5 year, but I've never met him :D.

Edited by LaLa3
added PS

I've started getting up at 1pm. At least that way, the wait isn't so long. I'm definitely not a night person though. I prefer day time. Once the lights go out all I want to do is stay home, but here, during Ramadan, night is really the only time you can go out since most places are closed during the day and don't open until 9:30pm.

My body is adjusting, during the day I am not really eating anything, just drinking water for my meds mostly.

Lala, I hope you and your husband are able to go and that it won't be too stressful for either of you. Take care.

I am not working in Ramadan which helps me for sure! I'm not sure what is going to happen to my job after Ramadan ends. Just found out the humidity today is 80%. Coupled with the fact that it's 95F/35C - no wonder I'm feeling so hot and thirsty!

I'm glad to hear you are doing okay and that you only have one job for now. Is it part time or full?

I'm tired today and a bit brain-energy-depleted, but I wanted to say hello and offer my support, M.

95 degrees there? Yikes! It's been very muggy here for weeks, but the past few days have been better. I tried to take the dog for a walk earlier, and then it started to downpour. So much for that...

Glad you're sleeping better, M. I've struggled off and on with insomnia myself over the past year and it can be rough.

Hope the rest of your day goes okay. Take care, M.

Finding, there are no blooming things at this time of the year here -actually at any time, come to that. It's too hot, too little water.

Oh darn, you reminded me I have washing to go, plus i have to vacuum my room. :( Well not now anyway - it's 2:30am and I'm going to sleep.

I don't think I mentioned before, but i have my own bedroom now, since my niece got married..Yay! At 57 years old! Now if only I could have my own bathroom! :P

Beth, I'm sorry you are feeling tired. I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for checking in.

My hugs to you both (((((( ))))))).