Mental Support Community

whining thread

Resolute

9 hours ago, Pax said:

I really don't think I can offer anything constructive to the discussion. The concepts of ego, psyche, etc are really just mechanisms; they may be intermediate causes of certain phenomena and provide the actionable intent for what a person may or may not do in a given situation, but they are certainly not first causes or sufficient unto themselves for defining who or what an individual actually is.

extremely well said and concise. and anything that isn't a first cause cannot be justly and meaningfully be held accountable for anything that it causes in turn.

9 hours ago, Pax said:

I've mentioned before that one's ancestry can be viewed in such a way that every single member of that individual's family line were what they were and nothing else expressly so that the individual himself would be exactly who is and no other. Every member of your family line going back to that Adam and Eve moment met and had sex and conceived the next member of that line just so you could be born. In that sense, heredity itself is just another mechanism. This is obviously an egoistic point of view, but it's valid. 

I am still convinced that these questions proceed from the nature of time itself. These questions would be meaningless if we did not have to live in time from moment to moment - in succession. If we could simply exist in all moments at once - in simultaneity - these questions would not matter because we would see every cause at once as a logical sequence, not a successive, sequential unfolding within time.

yes, sort of like a theoretical sequence. such is the case when we say "a cause must precede its effect" we don't mean practical precedence, but rather logically (known as logical priority).

9 hours ago, Pax said:

We would not have to work backwards from effects, we would see all causes and effects simultaneously. It's impossible to imagine such an existence, but it isn't inconceivable: a writer of a book does not have to turn each page in order to know what happens, even though the story proceeds sequentially and the characters themselves must live the story in time. Music also provides another interesting thought experiment - I'm listening to a symphony right now on my turntable; the spinning record itself contains the entire symphony, every measure, every note, simultaneously, but in order to make any sense of it, I am forced to play the music back within time. The record can also be sped up or slowed down, and if I could speed the record up to the point that the needle traversed every groove on the record within a millisecond, what would I hear? Something unintelligible. So it's clear that no matter how fast we live in time, this is not sufficient for experiencing it simultaneously - it requires totally removing ourselves from within time itself so that we do not have to traverse it successively. Some traditions call this the "Eternal Present" - since every moment of time can be subdivided into progressively smaller and smaller units, we can never truly experience the present moment except through simultaneity, which means the present must be eternal and outside of time itself. 

I'm not saying I have any answers or even know how to do this - but mystics and psychics have reported "timelessness" as one of the effects of their experiences, which they normally cannot describe in words (words themselves being conditioned by time). And it's also clear that if by "psyche" one means the animating part of our mentality, then it's just another name for the soul, "animus". Which should make it clear that our souls are as conditioned and determined as the rest of us. It still doesn't answer the question of why I am me and not you. 

great way of putting it.

btw, pax, don't forget to post about logical fallacies etc in your thread.

3 hours ago, mts said:

@Resolute what were your beliefs on responsibility and free will like before?

early on in life my beliefs on the matter were the same as everyone else i suppose. the amount of true free will in which i believed kept decreasing as i got older, however, until it was down to a few percent. naturally this was causing me much distress, as reward and punishment (and the level of reward or punishment) in the afterlife (in other words, our eternal fate) resting on a few percent of freeness is rather unsettling.

Do you think they affected you negatively?

idk whether my life would've been better or worse had i been a determinist from the beginning.

If you'd had the beliefs you have now do you think your life would be different?

if i'd had them since early childhood, i'm sure my life would've been different. however, idk how it would've turned out (innumerable variables).

On 8/21/2016 at 0:39 AM, Resolute said:

great way of putting it.

btw, pax, don't forget to post about logical fallacies etc in your thread.

Thanks, maybe my bullshit is entertaining if nothing else. I've been very busy with school, so I really haven't had time to work on the logic thread. School puts me in a bad mood anyway on top of the work.

well, i finally went out and saw some family recently. i went out four times in six days, which isn't bad. i hadn't been anywhere in well over a month. and i intend to visit some more this week. i actually walked back from my aunt's house but had to sit for 2-3 minutes midway because of my back.

financially i'm so so (i'm expecting some money soon. if i get it i'll manage for another month or two. if not, then i'm screwed lol).

thankfully, the heat has been letting up. if i manage to lose some weight, i might just resume my walking regimen in october.

on the travel front, things are still moving slowly but i'll know more next month. i hope i catch a break.

1 hour ago, Resolute said:

amen to that, bro buddy. :P

EDIT: this comment would've been funny had pax not deleted most of his post. :(:image:

Sorry...I'm trying to stop. I've been really good about keeping legit posts, haven't I? It's been a struggle though. I hate what I write once I reread it. Everything I say or write or do is pointless. I've never been able to satisfactorily answer why I bother to post. Everything about my life is like flatulence.

The part you're referring to above was just whining/ranting which is why I deleted it. 

Glad you were able to get some walks and the heat's cooling down. And it's always great to have some money. I hope I get my paychecks soon. Well take care for now and thanks for update.

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM, mts said:

Good to hear you were able to get out, I hate it when I'm indoors too long. Hope you get lots of money.

thanks mts; specially for the "lots of money" part :D.

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM, mts said:

Wish I had more time to post but I gotta get outta here. Hope everyone is well, take care all.

you take care too, mate.

22 hours ago, Pax said:

How's your week, Resolute? 

idk what to tell you, man. i was evicted abruptly (without notice) wednesday night and haven't had internet access or the opportunity to use my pc (among other things), which is why i haven't been on in a few days. i'm currently at my grandparents', but idk for how long.

i hope you're doing better than i am.

2 hours ago, Pax said:

:sad_huggy:

geez man. That is truly a shitty circumstance. And I thought everything was moving ahead for you, albeit slowly. I never know what to say to cheer a body up, don't even know that I could. Hope things get better, really do.

thanks man. things are still moving forward; they might even move faster now that i'm in an even bigger mess than before. ideally, i'd be at my destination in november.

it is a shitty situation, but in some ways a relief. i don't have to worry about eviction anymore. i also have less expenses now. and like i said, it might even cause things to move faster (sort of like a fire under my ass, and theirs).

That's good. I think all grandfathers can be a pain sometimes...but they've earned it I suppose. Mine gets cranky if his health problems are bothering him more than usual. 

Saw a bicyclist get hit by a car this morning. If you want to experience living on the edge of sudden death, just become a pedestrian or bicyclist on a large college campus with thousands of immature, iAddicted, self absorbed juveniles driving expensive vehicles bought by their parents. 

there have been some developments very recently, and so far it's not looking too good. i'll try to turn it to my advantage (with my resoluteness etc lol) and will let you guys know what happens very soon. either way, this is the homestretch and i'll be out of this hellhole this year come rain or shine.

i meant i'm leaving this country, this year, one way or another. i'm under immense pressure right now, and if i wasn't confident that i can leave this damn place this year, the amount of embarrassment and humiliation (i can't go into detail) that i've suffered recently--on top of all the embarrassment and humiliation that i've been thru in the last 11 years--i would be losing my mind right now {considering that my "dignity" is (i should say was) the most important thing to me}.

it's one of those times that i actually wanna cry. :icon_cry:

:sad_huggy:

I'm sorry man. What you said about dignity really rings a bell with me. You know, in every case of bullying that I've experienced and instances you see publicly, the goal is never to physically punish the victim as the end goal, but to destroy dignity. Even when you read stories of immense suffering such as mass starvation, prison camps, oppression...more than the physical suffering is the indignity brought upon the victims. Torture has the same goal, to break the will and self-respect. So I understand your misery. Dignity is a very precious thing, a vital thing. Even though your situation is terrible, I respect you for your intelligence and "resoluteness" and sense of right or wrong. In that sense, I think you're a dignified person.

5 minutes ago, Pax said:

I mean that you speak up if something is clearly contradictory or just plain wrong, even if you have no particular reason to do so. At least you always have here. That's always a respectful thing in my book. 

believe me, in real life, if i spoke up every time something was contradictory (whenever i had the urge), i'd be in much deeper shit than i am now.