Mental Support Community

whining thread

Resolute

3 hours ago, Small said:

I've turned it off now too. Don't want to see the bullshit highlights.

more like lowlights. but, as m said "some are born for sweet delight and some are born for endless night". and should those who are born for endless night ever forget it, they shall be reminded of it promptly.

i can tell you one thing, small, this is most likely the last significant football disappointment of my life.

Hm, okay. Well, let me ask you something instead. To my understanding, you believe that a potential infinite amount of variables that have been set into action by predecessor variables, make all outcomes void of any chance or choice.Getting specific,  where a personin sutusituation A has 5 perceived options, you then contend that he will select on certain terms, only one particular option, because of his circumstances, experience and his nature. 

Nature is a broad term,  so I'll ask you this. Do you believe in the conflicting forces of the subconscious psyche? You don't necessarily need to subscribe to the terminology but in general,  the ID, Ego and Superego? What about the preconscious,  conscious & subconscious? Or do you instead believe in one big sort of globule of consciousness, that works in consistency with itself? 

17 minutes ago, Small said:

Hm, okay. Well, let me ask you something instead. To my understanding, you believe that a potential infinite amount of variables that have been set into action by predecessor variables, make all outcomes void of any chance or choice.Getting specific,  where a personin sutusituation A has 5 perceived options, you then contend that he will select on certain terms, only one particular option, because of his circumstances, experience and his nature. 

accurate from what i can tell.

17 minutes ago, Small said:

Nature is a broad term,  so I'll ask you this. Do you believe in the conflicting forces of the subconscious psyche? You don't necessarily need to subscribe to the terminology but in general,  the ID, Ego and Superego? What about the preconscious,  conscious & subconscious? Or do you instead believe in one big sort of globule of consciousness, that works in consistency with itself? 

generally, i do believe there is often conflict between internal forces (of the psyche etc.). forces that are influenced (determined) by numerous known and unknown determinants. the outcome of the battle between these forces in any given situation will necessarily be in favor of the strongest of them at the time (also determined).

On 7/6/2016 at 4:07 PM, Resolute said:

yes i noticed that you got your name from it. i'm no poet either, or artist or... anything really.

i'm glad ramadan is over so you can get back to your day to day life.

i'm doing ok under the circumstances. still on track with plans etc.. hope germany win championship.

take care.

I'm glad your plans are still on track, and I wish you luck with completing them. I don't follow football any more.

Take care of yourself.

6 hours ago, Small said:

Okay. You basically believe in the ID & Superego, but not in the ego. .Since it's function is to find a fair or logical middle ground between the other compelling forces. 

6 hours ago, Small said:

I was going to write out a hypothetical scenario but it seems clear to me I think. I'm curious to see if Determinists in general reject the notion of the Ego too, because it would fit their model well.

the problem with the "ego", or anything else for that matter, being "unconditioned" (i think that's how you put it) is that it necessarily means that it (or its attributes) is uncaused. logic dictates two things;

1. that everything must be caused (principle of sufficient cause).

2. every effect must inherit some of the characteristics of its cause (there have to be some similarities between the cause and the effect). something can't be caused to exist without any attributes. what has no attributes simply does not exist.

when you say the ego is unconditioned, you are essentially saying that its existence was uncaused by anything else [either has absolutely no cause (came to exist spontaneously) or it caused its own existence (circular logic)], or that its characteristics were uncaused (for which the same argument applies "where did they come from?"). or you could be saying that the ego has no characteristics and is some sort of mystical thing that needs no attributes in order to exist (and function in amazing and mysterious ways no less).

• 4 weeks later...

haven't posted anything here lately, so i thought i'd do so now. there's nothing noteworthy going on in my life right now except that my health is worse and i'm still struggling with pushing my plans forward. i still haven't lost my resolve, but i am gradually losing my patience; less than five months til the end of the year and i still haven't made the kind of progress that i thought i would. hopefully i'll make some headway in the coming months.

i also haven't seen much family in a while, and haven't been to the barber in two months; needless to say, i look like a hobo.

thanks for reading.

WARNING, RELIGIOUS PEOPLE MIGHT FIND THIS UPSETTING AND/OR OFFENSIVE.

Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality....

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.

- karl marx

Their so-called religion works simply as an opiate - stimulating; numbing; quelling pain by means of weakness.

- novalis

Welcome be a religion that pours into the bitter chalice of the suffering human species some sweet, soporific drops of spiritual opium, some drops of love, hope and faith.

- heinrich heine

We have used the Bible as if it were a mere special constable's hand book, an opium dose for keeping beasts of burden patient while they were being overloaded, a mere book to keep the poor in order.

- charles kingsley

and last but not least:

Those who toil and live in want all their lives are taught by religion to be submissive and patient while here on earth, and to take comfort in the hope of a heavenly reward. But those who live by the labour of others are taught by religion to practise charity while on earth, thus offering them a very cheap way of justifying their entire existence as exploiters and selling them at a moderate price tickets to well-being in heaven. Religion is opium for the people. Religion is a sort of spiritual booze, in which the slaves of capital drown their human image, their demand for a life more or less worthy of man.

- vladimir lenin

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people

Hi Resolute

The reason i don't find it upsetting or offensive is, basically, because i've heard it all before.  

You're welcome to express your opinion; next time you might want to try expressing an opinion that doesn't involve insulting the values of others.

Keep posting anyway...

hi t4. hope you're well. actually, my intention wasn't to insult anyone; i was merely pointing out how bogus religion/faith really is. they have no actual substantiation. for the most part, they exploit emotions, needs and desires.

it might also interest you to know that i, too, was once religious; what a dope i was (just me; not intended for others).