Mental Support Community

Irreverent banter :)

Luna-

David,

We need a link to a good online Spanish dictionary. :rolleyes:

I can't bear not knowing what 'chico', 'muchatas', 'gringa' or 'Chicas muy lindas' mean! I want to know everything you're saying! :( What if I'm missing out on something? :eek:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh danni, it does work well! Thanks! :(

Now I can pick up some Spanish vocab! Yeah, see, I was missing out on something! Did you know 'Chicas muy lindas' means 'very pretty girls'? I suspect he has installed spy cameras in all our homes, how else would he know how ravishingly gorgeous we are? <sucking in my oversized belly> :rolleyes:

Let's see: compassion, therapeutic advice, Spanish... Your kids are right, David, you are metro. :)

I guess switching to Portuguese won't help then, huh? So, here's what Ive said:

Chico-- Dude or man

Chica- Dudette (?), babe, woman

Chica muy Linda-- beautiful lady, pretty lady, lovely lady

Muchacha- see chica

Ciao- adios- good bye

I jokingly told my wife that I wanted to start a business one day for wealthy American women... a service if you will, in which I would call them every morning at their allotted time and say in my deepest Spanish or Portugueses accent and baritone-bass voice: "Buenos dias mi amor, tu cafe esta listo (Good morning my dear/love, your coffee awaits you)," or whichever phrasing they wanted. It would be $120 per month b/c in the evening I would verbally tuck them into bed with another suave, smooth, deep Ricardo Montalban accented phrase that would make them swoon (guaranteed to eliminate all worries, anxieties, etc. and bring about nice dreams).

Alas, I ended up smooth talking folks who just wouldn't take to kindly to a lusty sounding guy (or perhaps some of them would-- after all I am a bello:D).

senhoras bonitas do bom dia

David

... a service if you will ...

... $120 per month ...

...(guaranteed to eliminate all worries, anxieties, etc. and bring about nice dreams)...

Gosh, that sounds cheaper than therapy!!

And you just have to pick up the phone and listen? No homework? No drugs, available all over the world AND it's guaranteed?

Forget the wealthy women, David. Take out a patent. Then sign me up. All this time I have sweating through session after expensive session; where have you been?

PS. Will this form of therapy still be effective if I put on my answering machine when I have to go out, and listen later? :)

PPS. And could we get a translation for 'senhoras bonitas do bom dia', please? Google doesn't know. :(

IrmaJean: :)

I did some french, but no spanish. Nodding, yeah, I'd guess that 'dia' is day. But a 'bom' day? I can't get Google to translate 'bom'. And 'bonitas' is beautiful or pretty, yes, (and so is 'bello'? (for men), 'bella' (for women?))

What confuses me is he said 'senhoras' - aren't ladies 'senhoritas?' Anyone know? Can we work it out before David gets here?

Hey Luna,

senhoras is Ladies, think its portuguese

you kinda worked it out hun,

think all David O was saying is something like Ladies have a beautiful day, or Ladies I bid you a beautiful day.

kinda guessing, but Im sure it is something like that, sure David will be amused at my poor knowledge, and correct me :)

You're right Sue... it is Portuguese! And senhoras is Portuguese for ladies. It is the same phrase "Good day beautiful ladies (is this considered flirting???)." It never hurts to be fluent in more than one language.

OK... better stop here before I start ending my posts with "consider yourself kissed good morning:eek::eek::eek::eek:!"

Aren't the Romance languages breathtaking? Spanish, French, Latin, Catalan, Romanian, Italian, and Portuguese!

nuff said (you guys are much too funny),

David

PS; A "bello" would be a someone who has impeccable looks, is tall dark and handsome, is witty and charming to a fault, has huge muscles (musk oils) and who is Italiano (urban dictionary 101).

Foul....!

Mixing in another language is against the rules. The subject says 'David O and his SPANISH.' :mad: :) Being a Spanish bello is no excuse either... ;)

Hvis du bliver ved paa den maade bliver jeg noed til at tale med dig i mit eget sprog!

:P

You're right Sue... it is Portuguese! And senhoras is Portuguese for ladies. It is the same phrase "Good day beautiful ladies (is this considered flirting???)." It never hurts to be fluent in more than one language.

What?? Is flirting a language? Now that's a language I WANT to speak fluently. Well.....I guess my friends say I already do. But it works for me. :)

Aaaaahhh Danni,

How I serenaded my beautiful wife (who I love and adore more than life itself)... much Spanish whisperings into her ear (she kept asking if I was saying she had big butt in Spanish) and the playing of Malageña, Stairway to Heaven and other romantic songs on my classical guitar. She swooned and I won the heart of the love of my life.

Nope, I missed that one ... It's either regional, or I'm just inordinately fond of mushrooms. :-)

D'oh. Or you made it up. :-P

Was that Dutch or Afrikaans, earlier, or would it matter?

[edit]And please don't tell me you made that up, too ...[/edit]

VERY regional. In the region of my home skull.;)

It was Danish. I thought if David was breaking rules, so would I. :) I was yellow-carding him. In the nicest possible way. (Amazing what one can get away with.)

And I love how this thread has gone ... how shall I say... unruly? :P

Yeah, you see malign, I wasn't the only one who thought this! (I PM'ed malign to ask the same question, David. :)) LOL.

Not that it matters here. :) It's another opportunity to tease you in the friendliest way, of which I'm fond and which hopefully gives you a laugh. :D

I don't get it.... what ???? (you buy my sweet and innocent act....right boys????)
Yeah, you see malign, I wasn't the only one who thought this! (I PM'ed malign to ask the same question, David. ) LOL.

Not that it matters here. It's another opportunity to tease you in the friendliest way, of which I'm fond and which hopefully gives you a laugh. :D

HHhhhmmmmmm..... one wonders if you chicas were like that little girl who once said: "I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

It wasn't that ... ruly to start with ... :-) If you can't play with your friends, who can you play with?
A New Zealander walking along the road with a sheep under each arm. He meets another New Zealander who says "you sheerin' mate?" and the first guy replies "naw, they're both mine"

OK, we may need to change the thread title at this point cuz this has really gone south now!

Archived